NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Card Print Amount Questions

Posted By: Dan Beemsterboer

This may seem like an odd question, but I have always been curious on the print amounts for certain card series. Ever since I saw the back of the 1914 Cracker Jack card the question been in the back of my mind. The Cracker Jack Cards state that the first run was 10,000,000 picture cards. Does anyone think that this many cards were produced? I guess the second question would be if they produced this many how many currently survive, 10%, 25%, 50%? This question could pertain to any of the early T, E and W Card series. For my specific collection, I would be interested in knowing what the print totals were for the Sporting Life M116 Cards, B - 18 Blankets (I know the red infield variations have very few examples and would be interested in knowing how many of each actually exist, I have only ever seen one for sale), and the 1921 Exhibits. I know there are probably not any definite answers, but would be interested in what some of the members of this forum might think.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

That would be some awesome information to find but I doubt the numbers were published/recorded like they did for coin mintage. It's probably a good thing these numbers are available. Interesting question though. I think I've seen previous threads where the board tried to list the T and E cards by scarcity order.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The 10 million was a P.T. Barnum number to impress the kiddies. Cracker Jack probably also wrote that you could see through clothes with their X-ray glasses.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

It is interesting that they would advertise that on the back of the cards. I find it hard to believe that they would even remotely think they would produce that many cards.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I've always kinda believed it...

They must have sold a lot of Cracker Jack. 10 million cards would be just under 70,000 sets of 144. What a cheap premium for them to include in the boxes. I have no idea what the revenue / sales / cash flow was for the company, but 10 million seemed possible to me. They'd have to sell into the millions of boxes to keep the business alive. How much was a box of Cracker Jack? If they made a penny a box and if they sold 10 million boxes in a year, that's only $100,000 of profit. Not much for a big business.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

On page 77 of Andrew F. Smith's book, Peanuts, The Illustrious History of the Goober Pea...

it says that in 1926 they sold 138 million boxes of Cracker Jack.

So that 10 million number seems believable to me.

Their largest pre-WW2 profit was just over $700,000 in 1928. So maybe they're making 1/2 cent a box.

Boxes were first used for Cracker Jack in 1899, coupons for prizes were introduced in 1910, and a prize in every box in 1912. These cards would have been a cheap prize in 1914...