NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default More Buy/Sell/Trade housekeeping

Posted By: leon

It has come to Brian McQueens, and my attention, that we are having an issue with a certain person on the BST pages AGAIN !! This person has been told before that he needs to be careful and not get in over his head on transactions. I don't want to "out" him here but we are closely watching things. He has not defrauded anyone, nor has he stolen anything...plus he seems to be a good guy, but still keeps making mistakes. The way I found out was by asking someone a question concerning a statement they made. Otherwise, we would have not known anything. The reason we want to know (Brian and myself) is so that we can make it the most secure place possible to do transactions. Please let us know of issues...we then put our manager caps on and if it is an issue that happens over and over we will step in. If this were more serious we would be making the name public. Everyone needs to be very "up and up" and COMMUNICATE through their transactions. If someone is nice enough to send a scan then you need to be nice enough to respond back, yea or nay. If you are collecting scans and have no intention of buying, then tell people that. Most of us enjoy helping each other but be straight up about it. Treat folks the way you want to be treated...and OVER-COMMUNICATE. If you commit to a deal but have second thoughts...communicate it. As long as no one is out anything it's "no harm no foul". If we hear of any one person having issues with several folks then we will step in......Remember that when dealing on the Buy/Sell/Trade pages it is always CAVEAT EMPTOR...Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...regards

Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Are you talking about the same guy who constantly reneges on deals?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Yes....although I am only aware of this one from yesterday (besides some from several months ago)...If there are more please let me know....

Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

If this a pattern and it is "constant" maybe this member should be "outed" for the protection of the rest of us.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I guess it is possible for things to just happen. I had one deal where I was advertising that I wanted to buy a certain card. I saw someone post on my thread they had it and it was a fair deal for the card...and I said I'd take it. Only afterwards did I bother to look at the scan and notice the card was in a SGC holder instead of PSA...and at the point I wouldn't have made out so well spending $15 on top of the purchase price to cross the card over...so I backed out. Luckily the other party was understanding in the matter.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Leon or Brian,

Q: Any recent scams "fraud" attempts reported? Would it be possible for you to out this people ~ bored-members?

I've been getting emails from a possible board member trying to sell signed baseballs, cards, documents, ect.

I'm not sure if he's a board member, but it's very suspicious!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

On this last issue from yesterday I would prefer not to make the person publicly known, yet. If it were serious enough I would. Backing out of a deal, if no one loses money, is not a public decree, imo. Backing out of lots of deals is. As for any kinds of fraud or scams, of course they will be made known about immediately. I haven't heard of any....If someone says they are a board member you can check with me or other folks to get a reference. If no one knows of them then that needs to be considered...and probably needs to be dealt with more cautiously...BST is still a very safe place from all I hear.....but caveat emptor

Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I wanted to add a few points to this and elaborate a bit on Leon’s point about communication. We don’t have any set rules for how we govern things on BST and we haven’t really been too involved in policing this section until now, however I want to mention a few additional “unwritten guidelines” if I may for BST conduct. Fortunately, 99.9% of transactions on our board go very smoothly and there are few problems that we hear about. I think the following will seem like common sense to most of you, but hopefully these pointers will help everyone with future transactions.

1.From a seller’s standpoint, solid communication is crucial on potential purchases. Many times, when a card is listed, that person will receive multiple responses about the item. If you’re a buyer and you’d prefer to “pass” after seeing the scan/asking the price, etc…, do the seller a favor and let him know this as soon as possible so he can begin working with the next person that responded. Most people work via a “first come, first served” basis on the board, so if it’s your “turn”, please remember that you might not be the only one “in line”.

2.Be honest. Things do come up and sometimes backing out of a purchase is unavoidable. This is fine and we have no problems with this. However, if you tell someone that you have to back out of a purchase because your car’s in the shop and the next day, you’re back on BST wanting to buy e107s, you’re behaving in a way that is dishonest and certainly not professional. These sort of situations are tough for Leon and myself to pick up on which is why we need you all to let us know about your non-positive buying/selling experiences on the board

3.Please make an attempt to pay for your purchases in a timely manner. Stretching out payments to the point that you still owe someone money months after you’ve committed to buying the card is not appropriate unless arrangements have been made with the seller. Continuing to buy other cards while you owe someone else money (thusly racking up even more “debt”) is also not the proper way to conduct yourself on the board.

4.Honor your transactions. I once had a seller list a card on BST for a set price, I believe it was an e107 HOFer. I responded to the person and let him know that I’d take the card and then shut my computer off and went to bed. I woke up the next morning expecting to see an email from the seller letting me know how best to pay for the card (ie..check, paypal, etc..). Instead, what I got was an email saying that although I had accepted the price, someone had written the seller offering more money. I had the choice of topping this person’s new bid or losing the card. We understand that renegging happens from time to time. However, backing out of transaction you have already agreed to because someone offered you more money for the card you’re selling, or backing out of a purchase because you found a better deal on the card elsewhere, aren’t proper reasons to reneg on a deal with someone. Also, this isn’t Ebay so sellers really shouldn’t be engaging potential buyers in bidding wars for cards either.

Of course, we don’t want anyone stealing cards or selling altered, fake or otherwise misrepresented cards on the board either. We will boot those people off immediately. However some of these smaller communication issues are important too and we seem to be hearing about them a little more the past few weeks. So we’re hoping that we can tighten things up a bit in the interest of making the BST the smoothest place possible for buying and selling cards.

Regards,
Brian