NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 10-30-2018, 02:18 AM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 939
Default

I know that REA produces some eye popping prices, but the Bond Bread portrait of Jackie Robinson keeps going up and up -- $14,400 in PSA 6 and $5,100 in PSA 3.
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM
C-mack C-mack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I know that REA produces some eye popping prices, but the Bond Bread portrait of Jackie Robinson keeps going up and up -- $14,400 in PSA 6 and $5,100 in PSA 3.

Damn! I just picked up a psa 1 for 800 and felt like I over paid lol looks like i wont be a upgrading anytime soon

Last edited by C-mack; 10-30-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 10-30-2018, 09:48 AM
DeanH3's Avatar
DeanH3 DeanH3 is offline
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I know that REA produces some eye popping prices, but the Bond Bread portrait of Jackie Robinson keeps going up and up -- $14,400 in PSA 6 and $5,100 in PSA 3.
I was watching those as well. Looks like it's recognition as his true rookie is gaining steam.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I was watching those as well. Looks like it's recognition as his true rookie is gaining steam.
There is a PSA 9 in Heritage that I expect to set a new record for Jackie Robinson Rcs. Jackie Robinson, along with Clemente and Mantle, are the best investments in the post war vintage markets and their cards are the bellwether for the hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:24 AM
joed25 joed25 is offline
Jos.eph Dw.ek
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Doubt it; no matter how "Honest" or "protected" or whatever the bidding software claims the ceiling bid is, collectors are trained to distrust claims of auctionhouses after years and years of rampant shill bidding from many sites, eBay mostly, but also auctionhouses who allow it in their Terms of Service.
Most collectors who are told "the bids are encrypted and perfectly safe" will shrug their shoulders, and ignore it. Because someone out there wrote the code, and may have access.
The company is trying to make lemonades by offering free shipping to the buyers. I was more of an interested observer last night, but if I was a "bid at the end" kind of guy, this wouldn't make me place more early bids just waiting for others to keep bidding me up.
Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 AM
Lorewalker's Avatar
Lorewalker Lorewalker is offline
Chase
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There is a PSA 9 in Heritage that I expect to set a new record for Jackie Robinson Rcs. Jackie Robinson, along with Clemente and Mantle, are the best investments in the post war vintage markets and their cards are the bellwether for the hobby.
Is there a Bond Bread Roby Port PSA 9 in that auction? I saw a Leaf Roby 9 in Heritage however that is not his rookie since it is a 1949 issue.
__________________
( h @ $ e A n + l e y
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 10-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Yoda Yoda is offline
Joh.n Spen.cer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 611
Default

Server sabotage by Russian trolls in St. Petersburg? An auction house's worst nightmare.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 10-30-2018, 02:45 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Is there a Bond Bread Roby Port PSA 9 in that auction? I saw a Leaf Roby 9 in Heritage however that is not his rookie since it is a 1949 issue.
It is already at 156k. Seems like the hobby thinks it is his rookie card. 1st national issue, check. I guess most still prefer a nationally issued mainstream card to a regional.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 10-30-2018, 04:00 PM
CharleyBrown CharleyBrown is offline
Shaun Fyffe
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It is already at 156k. Seems like the hobby thinks it is his rookie card. 1st national issue, check. I guess most still prefer a nationally issued mainstream card to a regional.
We've been down this road with the regional vs. national comparison, and I'm not sure why you continue to classify the BB card as a regional?

Anyhow, you're comparing a PSA 9 to a PSA 6. A PSA 9 BB Portrait does not exist. There are 3 PSA 8s which would surely produce eye-popping numbers should they come up for sale.

In comparing a PSA 6 Leaf vs. PSA 6 BB, the numbers are a lot closer, and the BB outperformed recent Leaf sales.

PSA 6 Bond Bread = $14,400

Last 5 PSA 6 Leaf sales = $9,300; $9,485; $11,400; $10,300; $9,600. A PSA 6 Leaf with excellent centering did sell for $16,156.00 about 13-14 months ago.
__________________
-Shaun

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 10-30-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 10-30-2018, 04:44 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
We've been down this road with the regional vs. national comparison, and I'm not sure why you continue to classify the BB card as a regional?

Anyhow, you're comparing a PSA 9 to a PSA 6. A PSA 9 BB Portrait does not exist. There are 3 PSA 8s which would surely produce eye-popping numbers should they come up for sale.

In comparing a PSA 6 Leaf vs. PSA 6 BB, the numbers are a lot closer, and the BB outperformed recent Leaf sales.

PSA 6 Bond Bread = $14,400

Last 5 PSA 6 Leaf sales = $9,300; $9,485; $11,400; $10,300; $9,600. A PSA 6 Leaf with excellent centering did sell for $16,156.00 about 13-14 months ago.
There is also 126 Leaf to 15 Regionals in 6. So with more than 8 times the population, the Leaf RC still sells for more than the regional. BBs sold for 6100 and 5900 this year too, but REA always gets a premium, sometimes a ridiculous one.
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Vintageclout Vintageclout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 373
Default Bond Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It is already at 156k. Seems like the hobby thinks it is his rookie card. 1st national issue, check. I guess most still prefer a nationally issued mainstream card to a regional.
13+ major cities including NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Baltimore, etc, is hardly a “Regional” Issue. The 47 Bond Bread portrait IS his true rookie.
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 10-30-2018, 04:58 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There is also 126 Leaf to 15 Regionals in 6. So with more than 8 times the population, the Leaf RC still sells for more than the regional. BBs sold for 6100 and 5900 this year too, but REA always gets a premium, sometimes a ridiculous one.
that's cute how you keep calling it a regional even when you know that it's not.
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Vintageclout Vintageclout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 373
Default Bond Bread Jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleybrown View Post
we've been down this road with the regional vs. National comparison, and i'm not sure why you continue to classify the bb card as a regional?

Anyhow, you're comparing a psa 9 to a psa 6. A psa 9 bb portrait does not exist. There are 3 psa 8s which would surely produce eye-popping numbers should they come up for sale.

In comparing a psa 6 leaf vs. Psa 6 bb, the numbers are a lot closer, and the bb outperformed recent leaf sales.

Psa 6 bond bread = $14,400

last 5 psa 6 leaf sales = $9,300; $9,485; $11,400; $10,300; $9,600. A psa 6 leaf with excellent centering did sell for $16,156.00 about 13-14 months ago.
+1,000!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM
ejharrington ejharrington is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
that's cute how you keep calling it a regional even when you know that it's not.
Regional or not the BB are his rookie cards. The Leaf is more popular but not his rookie card
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 10-30-2018, 07:30 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 959
Default

i never said otherwise.
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 10-30-2018, 08:35 PM
CharleyBrown CharleyBrown is offline
Shaun Fyffe
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There is also 126 Leaf to 15 Regionals in 6. So with more than 8 times the population, the Leaf RC still sells for more than the regional. BBs sold for 6100 and 5900 this year too, but REA always gets a premium, sometimes a ridiculous one.
What region encompasses NY, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, DC, Montreal, Philadelphia, etc.?

$14400 > $9300

Yes... REA does get a premium... so let's compare sales from this particular REA auction.

Bond Bread PSA 4 sold for $5100.
Leaf PSA 5 sold for $4800.

$5100 > $4800

Nobody is taking anything away from the Leaf issue. It is easily one of Jackie's most iconic issues. I am glad to have one in my collection.

That being said, the BB issue has experienced a meteoric rise this year, similar to what the market recently saw with other iconic cards. This makes it hard to go by the previous sales of $6100 and $5900 (which were also big jumps). It has been on a continuously upward trajectory, whether you want to admit that or not.
__________________
-Shaun

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 10-30-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 PM
griffon512 griffon512 is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
Regional or not the BB are his rookie cards. The Leaf is more popular but not his rookie card
Included in this rookie card status should be Jackie's Homogenized Bond Bread, not just the Bond Bread Portrait. Both were issued in 1947 (see long thread from Ted Zanidakis where he recalls collecting Homogenized Bond Bread cards in 1947). SGC correctly identifies the Homogenized Bond Bread card as being distributed in 1947. As Shaun and Joe point out, Bond Bread was not a regional issue by any reasonable definition of the term, but we're getting into semantics. There is no threshold between local, regional, and national distribution.

Even if a card was only distributed in limited locations during a rookie year, whose to say that it's not a rookie year card?

Let's keep it simple: if a card was distributed in the player's first year, it's a rookie year card, regardless of the size of the issue (lou gehrig 1925 exhibit is an oversized issue but that shouldn't mean it's not his rookie year card) or how many locations it was distributed in.

Last edited by griffon512; 10-30-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 PM
DeanH3's Avatar
DeanH3 DeanH3 is offline
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,192
Default

Well put James!
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 10-31-2018, 06:12 AM
Vintageclout Vintageclout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 373
Default Bond Bread Jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
Included in this rookie card status should be Jackie's Homogenized Bond Bread, not just the Bond Bread Portrait. Both were issued in 1947 (see long thread from Ted Zanidakis where he recalls collecting Homogenized Bond Bread cards in 1947). SGC correctly identifies the Homogenized Bond Bread card as being distributed in 1947. As Shaun and Joe point out, Bond Bread was not a regional issue by any reasonable definition of the term, but we're getting into semantics. There is no threshold between local, regional, and national distribution.

Even if a card was only distributed in limited locations during a rookie year, whose to say that it's not a rookie year card?

Let's keep it simple: if a card was distributed in the player's first year, it's a rookie year card, regardless of the size of the issue (lou gehrig 1925 exhibit is an oversized issue but that shouldn't mean it's not his rookie year card) or how many locations it was distributed in.
Spot on James!
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 10-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,702
Default

Not every player has a rookie card.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 10-31-2018, 01:32 PM
KMayUSA6060's Avatar
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is offline
Kyle May
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Not every player has a rookie card.
Bite your tongue (but don't spit in the cauldron)!
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.

Current Project: Hall of Famers - 1 playing-days/involvement card (if possible) of each.
Progress: 194/323 (60.06%)

In-depth tracking here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 10-31-2018, 03:11 PM
oldjudge's Avatar
oldjudge oldjudge is offline
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Bronx
Posts: 3,986
Default

I think this is hilarious. Ten years ago very few people cared about these cards. All of a sudden someone calls it a rookie card and now people are tripping over themselves and apparently paying six figures for the card. Sometimes I think cards should come with warning labels.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 10-31-2018, 05:17 PM
Sterling Sports Auctions's Avatar
Sterling Sports Auctions Sterling Sports Auctions is offline
Lee B.
lee be.hrens
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 715
Default

Reminds me of the T205 Matty Cycle back 37-1, was no big deal until it was auctioned off with misleading information about how tough they were. From that point on people have been paying a huge premium for the card. All it seems to take is the right person to give out some information and "Boom Goes the Dynamite" :-). As as the buyers are happy that is all that counts.
__________________
Tired of Ebay or looking for a place to sell your cards, let SterlingSportsAuctions.com do the work for you, monthly auctions.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 10-31-2018, 07:43 PM
CharleyBrown CharleyBrown is offline
Shaun Fyffe
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
Reminds me of the T205 Matty Cycle back 37-1, was no big deal until it was auctioned off with misleading information about how tough they were. From that point on people have been paying a huge premium for the card. All it seems to take is the right person to give out some information and "Boom Goes the Dynamite" :-). As as the buyers are happy that is all that counts.
Not sure about the T205 Matty, as that has never been an area of collecting interest for me, but wrt the "Boom Goes the Dynamite", I don't think it is necessarily the "right person giving out information." We've seen a good number of cards experience an explosion at some point in time... whether it be the Sporting News Ruth, the e121 Ruth (Throwing variation), the '25 Exhibits Gehrig, '55 Topps Clemente, '47 Bond Bread, etc.

With each of those players, there is an element of intrigue that transcends the sport. With that, there has always been a premium placed on rookie cards.
__________________
-Shaun

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 10-31-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 10-31-2018, 08:11 PM
CharleyBrown CharleyBrown is offline
Shaun Fyffe
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think this is hilarious. Ten years ago very few people cared about these cards. All of a sudden someone calls it a rookie card and now people are tripping over themselves and apparently paying six figures for the card. Sometimes I think cards should come with warning labels.
Can't speak for the '25 Gehrig Exhibit card (wish I bought one when it was more affordable), but regarding the Bond Bread set...

Ten years ago, a renowned movie director with unlimited connections sought out these cards... and couldn't put together a complete set (He got 12 out of the 13). One of the biggest whales in the hobby spent 6 years during that time period trying to complete his first complete set. It is one of the few items he kept after selling much of his collection. It was only a matter of time before the card / set got noticed by "mainstream collectors."

I wish I had held onto the cards I sold.
__________________
-Shaun

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 10-31-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 PM
oldjudge's Avatar
oldjudge oldjudge is offline
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Bronx
Posts: 3,986
Default

Alfred Hitchcock? No wait, he's dead. Steven Spielberg?
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 PM
pherbener's Avatar
pherbener pherbener is offline
Paul Herbener
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
Reminds me of the T205 Matty Cycle back 37-1, was no big deal until it was auctioned off with misleading information about how tough they were. From that point on people have been paying a huge premium for the card. All it seems to take is the right person to give out some information and "Boom Goes the Dynamite" :-). As as the buyers are happy that is all that counts.
Lee, I'm not sure which auction you're talking about but I think the Cycle Matty is pretty tough to come by these days in relation to price. (Caveat.. I own one as a Matty collector) SGC has graded 25 of them out of a total of about 500. Obviously PSA numbers are skewed lower since they haven't recognized it as long. Compare this to a non HOFer like the T206 O'Hara Polar Bear version where SGC has graded 120 out of a little over 300 total and check that price in relation ($10K for a PSA 4!!). I get in that case, the greater percentage of O'Hara's St. Louis are graded. Plus, I've been searching on the BST here and other places for a PSA/SGC 4 + Cycle Matty for a while and haven't seen one in years.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137748538@N02/albums Successful transactions with Sycks22, Vintageloz, jim, zachclose21, shamus, Chris Counts, YankeeFan Snapolit1 and many more.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 10-31-2018, 11:05 PM
Sean's Avatar
Sean Sean is offline
Sean Costello
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Woodland, California
Posts: 3,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Alfred Hitchcock? No wait, he's dead. Steven Spielberg?
Spike Lee I assume.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 11-01-2018, 07:41 AM
CharleyBrown CharleyBrown is offline
Shaun Fyffe
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Alfred Hitchcock? No wait, he's dead. Steven Spielberg?
I wonder if Hitchcock was a baseball fan?
__________________
-Shaun

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Not sure about the T205 Matty, as that has never been an area of collecting interest for me, but wrt the "Boom Goes the Dynamite", I don't think it is necessarily the "right person giving out information." We've seen a good number of cards experience an explosion at some point in time... whether it be the Sporting News Ruth, the e121 Ruth (Throwing variation), the '25 Exhibits Gehrig, '55 Topps Clemente, '47 Bond Bread, etc.

With each of those players, there is an element of intrigue that transcends the sport. With that, there has always been a premium placed on rookie cards.
Ruth, Gehrig, Jackie, Clemente. . . .if you are in this for investment purposes only there's most of your business plan right there. Transcend the sport. Iconic intriguing figures. Throw in Michael Jordan, Bobby Hull, maybe . . . a few others.

I thought the recent Kareem Abdul Jabbar auction at Golden was very instructive. An iconic figure who made a tremendous impact on his sport. Seemed to me that there was pretty muted demand for his stuff. Many items had one bid last time I looked at that auction (now closed). Hell, a week before it closed a ton of his stuff had zero bids. Yet people will pay $30,000 for a basketball card of a player frankly I have never heard of. I guess to each his own.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-01-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 PM
puckpaul puckpaul is offline
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 59
Default

Abdul Jabbar sold a lot of middling stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 11-06-2018, 07:23 PM
kmac32's Avatar
kmac32 kmac32 is offline
Ken McMillan
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ponte Vedra, Florida
Posts: 2,108
Default Wow! That was fast

Got my REA winnings today. Fantastic looking lot in my opinion. All AB backs. 2 PSA graded not shown in auction
__________________
Favorite MLB quote. " I knew we could find a place to hide you". Lee Smith talking about my catching abilities at Cubs Fantasy camp.

Last edited by kmac32; 11-06-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 11-06-2018, 07:41 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is online now
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Got my REA winnings today. Fantastic looking lot in my opinion. All AB backs. 2 PSA graded not shown in auction
Mercy, Ken, I am envious!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.


ebay GSB