NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Jamie

Default USPS Screws UP Cards Stolen

Well I just checked and my claim has been denied. A letter has been sent so now I have to wait and see why. Then go through the appeals process. Amazing, I don't know what to say. I did everything right, paid for insurance, signature required. Thanks.

Jamie

Hi everyone. I made a deal last week to trade some cards for 1 card with a collector on a different forum. I won't mention his name because he has a good reputation and I don't suspect any funny business from him.

I sent the cards over night on Friday Feb. 1st. with signature required, insured for 2K.

The package was delivered. Tracking it, it said delivered/signature waived. Thought that was weird. Well the gentleman was out of town for the weekend. He got back to me Sunday saying as much. And when he got home Monday, no slip or package or anything. Needless to say the package had to be stolen from his property. Once again the delivery man was suppose to get a signature and failed to do so. Should have kept the package. WOW!

There's now an investigation going, I have been told all of my paperwork is correct and it should have been signed for. So I wait now. And then I guess file an insurance claim. What a headache.

I wanted to go ahead and post the PSA rated cards here to let everyone know in case they ever come up you know they're stolen.

Thank you, Jamie

Last edited by phillyfan24; 03-06-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Sorry to hear that! At least you had it all insured!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Jamie

Ya it's insured. I just hope they don't give me a hard time. The postal worker I saw today was very helpful. And opened the investigation before I got there to see him to show the paperwork. He said he has copies and it's right. Should have been a signature. Not waived. So at least they're saying it's a fault of the delivery person for making that mistake.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I wouldn't think they'd give to much of a difficult time. Seems they know its their fault.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
I wouldn't think they'd give to much of a difficult time. Seems they know its their fault.
+1 Yeah, I'd feel relatively safe. Sorry to hear about the loss...
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 AM
mike g

glad you got insurance.
and glad they are graded, hopefully they show up and someone sees the serial number and the guy gets busted
Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Jamie

Ya I'm guessing whoever stole the box from the yard probably doesn't know what they have. If they go to a shop and sell them then whoever buys them won't know they are stolen. It's just a crappy situation.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM

I always wonder in these situations whether it even made it to the persons house. What's to stop an employee at the final destination post office whose sorting the mail for delivery to see that a package is insured, look up the value of the insurance, notice that's it's for 2K and say hmm I'll mark this as signature waived and sneak it my locker. I mean whenever I go to my post office to use the window I can see right into the back and controls seem to be non-existent. That always made more sense to me than someone sneaking up to someone's porch or reaching into someone's mailbox to grab a package. Whatever way it went down it sucks. Sorry it happened.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
I always wonder in these situations whether it even made it to the persons house. What's to stop an employee at the final destination post office whose sorting the mail for delivery to see that a package is insured, look up the value of the insurance, notice that's it's for 2K and say hmm I'll mark this as signature waived and sneak it my locker. I mean whenever I go to my post office to use the window I can see right into the back and controls seem to be non-existent. That always made more sense to me than someone sneaking up to someone's porch or reaching into someone's mailbox to grab a package. Whatever way it went down it sucks. Sorry it happened.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Just want the whole thing to end. You never think it will happen til it does. Thank goodness for the insurance. But until I get reimbursed I'll be sweating the situation. I mean they could always deny the claim. It just sucks.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Jimi

Sorry this has happened, Jamie. Looks like I should have gotten these from you when I had the chance awhile back. bummer.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 PM
jim quinlisk

I'm not sure if it's the problem in your case, but USPS came up with a new label for express mail. We started seeing the new labels a few weeks ago, and offices are using the old ones until they run out.

It's possible that the carrier saw your signature and wasn't as familiar with the new forms. When we scan an express delivered, the scanner asks if it is waived or not and won't let it deliver without a sig unless it is waived.

I hope that's not what happened here but I see a lot of confusion with the stupid changed labels.

Last edited by jimq; 02-08-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

But aren't there 2 separate issues here - signature for the receipt of the package and signature for the insurance? I can understand someone sending a package overnight and waiving the signature if the contents are not valuable, but to waive the signature on $2K worth of insurance??? I just find that hard to believe.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM
jim quinlisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
But aren't there 2 separate issues here - signature for the receipt of the package and signature for the insurance? I can understand someone sending a package overnight and waiving the signature if the contents are not valuable, but to waive the signature on $2K worth of insurance??? I just find that hard to believe.

Carriers don't see the insurance on express. Again unfortunate and terrible thinking. We only need one sig - the package could be worth $10 or $10K. I wish they would quit fixing things that aren't broke!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

About half the cards that are sent to my home with signature required end up in my mailbox out front without my having signed for them. Carriers don't like to take the time to stop, wait for the person to answer the door, and get a signature.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM
jim quinlisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
About half the cards that are sent to my home with signature required end up in my mailbox out front without my having signed for them. Carriers don't like to take the time to stop, wait for the person to answer the door, and get a signature.
next time that happens, PM me the tracking #. Either your lazy carrier is signing for you, not scanning them, or he kept a copy of your signature on the back of a 3849 peach slip. When you find out which, you can get a new carrier.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Jamie

The form on the package is pretty clear. Check the box to waive signature. Box wasn't checked. Signature was required. Plus I was told at the P.O. that you can't waive a signature if you have 2K insurance anyway. I filed the claim a few days ago. Can't wait to put this behind me. Was told payment will take 3-4 weeks. I would go crazy if it was denied.

Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq View Post
I'm not sure if it's the problem in your case, but USPS came up with a new label for express mail. We started seeing the new labels a few weeks ago, and offices are using the old ones until they run out.

It's possible that the carrier saw your signature and wasn't as familiar with the new forms. When we scan an express delivered, the scanner asks if it is waived or not and won't let it deliver without a sig unless it is waived.

I hope that's not what happened here but I see a lot of confusion with the stupid changed labels.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Scott Levy

Jamie,

I'm really sorry to hear about the theft. Best wishes for a quick resolution.

Scott
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Jamie

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
Jamie,

I'm really sorry to hear about the theft. Best wishes for a quick resolution.

Scott
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Jason S!m@nds

This happened to me once. I had a few hundred dollars of cards get stolen from a repairman who was in my apartment a few years back.

Make sure those cards are on your PSA registry

The only way I found them was someone tried to register my stolen card for their set. It was 6 months after the theft so I gave up on the search by then. Having them in my set also gave me solid claim to the card since I had it "registered" before the current owner had purchased the card.

Jason
Old 03-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Jamie

Bump