NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-22-2023, 06:43 AM
Tony Baldwin

Default Alex Rodriguez Thinks He Is Entitled

I don't vent much, but when this article "Alex Rodriguez doesn't understand why Yankees haven't retired his No. 13: 'It bothers me" came out recently, it definitely hit a nerve with me. I've been an Alex Rodriguez fan and collector since 1995. What irks me about him, even after all the negative crap that he has done, is his constant narcissistic and self-entitled attitude.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/alex-...retired-number

Arod lied about doing PEDs, got caught, then did it again; being suspended for the entire 2014 season (that sure helped the Yankees; great job Arod). He initiated a lawsuit against Baseball, Players Union, over PED investigation (which he was guilty of), which he later dropped. He sued the Yankees Doctor, which he later dropped. His negative conduct, at times, as a player with the Yankees, wasn't something to be proud of.

After all of the above, and more, he doesn't understand why Yankees haven't retired his No. 13. And to top it off, admits feeling slighted when Joey Gallo was allowed to wear the number during his disastrous run with the team. Yes, slams Gallo in the process.

Here's my advice to Arod, "keep your mouth shut! You're not entitled to anything!"

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 10-22-2023 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:36 AM
Jay Shumsky

He's also a lousy announcer. I don't understand why ESPN hired him for their broadcasts. Before they moved him to ESPN2 (I think with Michael Kay), if I ever wanted to watch the game he was announcing, I would mute the sound so I didn't have to hear him.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:16 AM

I can understand self-centered people but he’s diluted on top of it. The last thing anyone remembers A-rod for is NOT hitting 700 home runs and getting suspended for an entire season. Why would the Yankees celebrate him in any way?
Old 10-22-2023, 09:53 AM
J@mes In.gram

More full of himself than anyone I have seen in my lifetime.

For all his "all about me" BS stats, he is the most un-clutch hitter I ever saw.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 10-22-2023, 11:14 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
More full of himself than anyone I have seen in my lifetime.

For all his "all about me" BS stats, he is the most un-clutch hitter I ever saw.
According to fans of the Cincinnati Reds, the most unclutch hitter of all time is Joey Votto.
And as for shell of former glory, this makes me feel good. They have won 4 titles since Reds last won in 1990. However, I'm sure they will figure out how to right their ship. Yankees owner is still better than the Reds owner.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 10-22-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:42 AM
Dave

I think A-Rod might be the most insecure "elite" athlete in history.

I'm still shocked after all these years that he even agreed to move over to 3rd base from SS, to accommodate Derek Jeter, when he came to the Yankees to begin with.

That was the only way that trade was ever going to happen, so it also shows how much he wanted to be "loved" by New York.

I'm a Yankee fan, and even I'm surprised at the accumulated statistics that A-Rod put up while with the Yankees...so a part of me says he may have a point.

A bigger part of me says "hell no", for many of the reasons already illustrated in this thread.

He might be more popular if he actually owned up to his "villain" status, but his need to be loved, adored, and paid attention to by everybody in his orbit...just makes him all the more insufferable.

I'm pretty convinced the only reason he only dated "celebrities" for so long, was because he thought it kept him "relevant"...not because he was ever in love with any of them...and I think they all figured that out about him at some point.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 10-22-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:54 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I can understand self-centered people but he’s diluted on top of it. The last thing anyone remembers A-rod for is NOT hitting 700 home runs and getting suspended for an entire season. Why would the Yankees celebrate him in any way?
Coasting on past glory is not the worst strategy for a franchise when your current team kind of sucks...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-22-2023, 10:14 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Coasting on past glory is not the worst strategy for a franchise when your current team kind of sucks...
The Yankees are a mere shell of their former franchise.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 10-22-2023, 10:21 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
As a life-long Yankee fan, this bothers me the most.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:21 AM
James M.

Quote:
100% agree. They are a shell that has gotten by on branding alone. They don't even need to be the world beaters they used to be, to print money.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:23 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Totally. I still can't get over the fact that they trot out guys like IKF and Josh Donaldson while ostensibly trying to win baseball games.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-22-2023, 04:41 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
He's also a lousy announcer. I don't understand why ESPN hired him for their broadcasts. Before they moved him to ESPN2 (I think with Michael Kay), if I ever wanted to watch the game he was announcing, I would mute the sound so I didn't have to hear him.
They hired him, paying him a lot of money, and even extended his contract. Somebody likes him at ESPN
And for all he has done wrong some how he still always on the news, is an astute businessman making loads of money and he is an owner of a basketball team.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-22-2023, 04:46 PM
Ben North

I hadn't seen Arod in years and saw him when watching a playoff game recently. He seemed to have by far the darkest tan I have ever seen on him. Is this something new?
Old 10-22-2023, 04:45 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
That's what I do every time John Smoltz starts talking.
Old 10-22-2023, 05:44 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Last year, I think Smoltz announced most of the Phillies games and by the end of the World Series, I had heard enough from him. This year he hasn't done any of their games so I haven't had to listen to him until the Phillies (hopefully) get back to the World Series. Still, I would take him any time over ARod.
Old 10-22-2023, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Asshole? Absolutely. One of the most unlikeable players ever? For sure. Still unlikeable? Yep. Overrated as a baseball player? No.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:12 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Asshole? Absolutely. One of the most unlikeable players ever? For sure. Still unlikeable? Yep. Overrated as a baseball player? No.
Without knowing how long he was really on PEDs and what the true impact on his playing ability was, I think it's hard to say if he's overrated or not. If he was using them his whole career then how do you really know?

Last edited by jayshum; 10-22-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:54 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Agreed I am not a John Smolz fan either

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 10-23-2023 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
I don't vent much, but when this article "Alex Rodriguez doesn't understand why Yankees haven't retired his No. 13: 'It bothers me" came out recently, it definitely hit a nerve with me. I've been an Alex Rodriguez fan and collector since 1995. What irks me about him, even after all the negative crap that he has done, is his constant narcissistic and self-entitled attitude.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/alex-...retired-number

Arod lied about doing PEDs, got caught, then did it again; being suspended for the entire 2014 season (that sure helped the Yankees; great job Arod). He initiated a lawsuit against Baseball, Players Union, over PED investigation (which he was guilty of), which he later dropped. He sued the Yankees Doctor, which he later dropped. His negative conduct, at times, as a player with the Yankees, wasn't something to be proud of.

After all of the above, and more, he doesn't understand why Yankees haven't retired his No. 13
. And to top it off, admits feeling slighted when Joey Gallo was allowed to wear the number during his disastrous run with the team. Yes, slams Gallo in the process.

Here's my advice to Arod, "keep your mouth shut! You're not entitled to anything!"
Since a preponderance of the evidence suggests people are unwilling or unable to read correctly, here is the original post making PED's and related scandalous conduct part of the on-topic discussion, bolded.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:39 PM

Default ARod

1911- yep, I just learned to read last week, so I'm glad you posted the
original thread again. Problem is, that post directly mentions narcissism,
entitlement, PED, and suing his own collective bargaining unit and Yankees
personnel(!). Once again, you pick and choose to support your own derailing
remarks... Not going to work, all you are doing here is digging in because
someone dares oppose you. Perhaps you should fire off an email to Yankees
management with your cogent explanation of why ARod's number should be
retired. I'm SURE they'll have his jersey up in no time- that'll show us!!

Lastly, I'm not a stalker and don't have a vendetta either. The vast majority
of my interactions on net54 are with collectors about cards. Once in awhile
I see a fly that needs shooed away. Since you have such a keen mind, I'm
sure you can figure out who is the fly, and who is doing the shooing.

Trent King
Old 10-23-2023, 12:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
1911- yep, I just learned to read last week, so I'm glad you posted the
original thread again. Problem is, that post directly mentions narcissism,
entitlement, PED, and suing his own collective bargaining unit and Yankees
personnel(!). Once again, you pick and choose to support your own derailing
remarks... Not going to work, all you are doing here is digging in because
someone dares oppose you. Perhaps you should fire off an email to Yankees
management with your cogent explanation of why ARod's number should be
retired. I'm SURE they'll have his jersey up in no time- that'll show us!!

Lastly, I'm not a stalker and don't have a vendetta either. The vast majority
of my interactions on net54 are with collectors about cards. Once in awhile
I see a fly that needs shooed away. Since you have such a keen mind, I'm
sure you can figure out who is the fly, and who is doing the shooing.

Trent King
If, to be on topic, one can only restate the entirety of the OP and address every single point therein without focusing in on a claim therein or expressing differing opinion or contradictory fact, then how is your tantrum on topic? You're even more 'off-topic'. Are you going to call a foul on yourself? No?

Again - I never even argued that A-Rod's number should be retired. I said the reason preferred was demonstrably untrue, which it is, and it has nothing to do with a fair evaluation of performance or consistency. For the 500th time, A-Rod is not kept out because of PED scandal. We know this because the Yankees have already honored such players. That is the argument actually made. It is blatantly obvious. The bullshit people make up to argue against instead is not the actual argument made.

You come and bitch at me once every 2 months or so no matter what the issue is with these outlandish over the top overage over the most innocuous of statements. Remember when you threw a tantrum in one of Net54's funniest threads of all time about what a horrible guy I am and always right because I was against lynching people as a general concept? I sure do! https://net54baseball.com/showthread...=327610&page=3. It's a shame that, unlike Packs who for some reason is always exempt from the rule, I have to disclose my ID to the nutballs whose heads I clearly live in rent-free lol
Old 10-23-2023, 01:39 PM

Default ARod

1911- I vaguely recall you making idiotic remarks about me in a deliberate
misrepresentation of what I said. But, that essentially describes every
interaction you have, where someone doesn't mindlessly accept your
manifestos. Since I rarely agree with you, it often happens. You portray me
as some maniac, aren't even close to right, make claims about "appeals to
authority" and other inanities, then resort to name calling while still daring
to portray yourself as a neutral commenter without bias. Rinse and repeat...

Back to the topic(!!). Arod's habitual PED use is NOT the sole, or even
primary, reason his number isn't hanging in the rafters in NY. I certainly
haven't alleged it. He is a serial offender in numerous ways that alienate any
person from any organization, in this case fans of that organization too, for a
timespan of 12 years. He's essentially written the book on how to make a
group of people who were destined to admire him, despise him instead- and
he can't stop even in retirement. The results are in- he's not up there, and
does not merit it. He's wealthy, he's famous, and he's not respected. THAT is
his own fault and it's under his skin. Move on.

Trent King
Old 10-23-2023, 04:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The funniest part of this display is that everyone apparently agrees with the statement - that PED use and scandal is not and cannot be the reason A-Rod is excluded. Even when they agree with the statement, the normal nutter and the illiterates will bitch up a storm - and then wind up agreeing with the innocuous statement they evidently forget was allegedly the source of their tantrum.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:06 PM
St@n Go.len

They barely acknowledged his 500th HR, so his #s not getting retired

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk