NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 AM
Mike

Default In Which Universe?

I just posted an update on Frank's Monster Number thread and it got me to thinking. I have a handful of "Commons" to go in addition to a few Southern Leaguers and a pile of HOF guys. This is not a misplaced BST, but merely a question. In what freakin' universe are these guys common?

55bv. George Brown (Browne) (Washington)
115bv. Bill Dahlen (Brooklyn)
122bv. Ray Demmitt (St. Louis)
143av. Joe Doyle (NY Nat'l Hands Above Head)
143b. Joe Doyle (NY Hands Above Head)
155bv. Kid Elberfeld (Washington) (Portrait)
249av. Red Kleinow (Boston)
285av. Carl Lundgren (Chicago)
287av. Sherry Magie (Magee)
287b. Sherry Magee (portrait)
355bv. Bill O'Hara (St. Louis)
373. Barney Pelty (Horizontal Photo)
438bv. Frank Smith (Chicago & Boston)

Don't you guys think that there needs to be an additional designation besides HOF/SL/Common? or at least a Roger Maris-esque "*" on the checklist?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: In Which Universe?

The "SP" designation is widely used to denote cards that were printed in lesser quantities. Most of the cards on your list would certainly qualify. I can't recall ever seeing that in any T206 discussions.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Mike I think the Doyle (NY hands above head) is a common but was effected
by Fritsch hoarding them. The Titus is becoming a tuff common for a similar
reason. I will probably never own one because I will never pay the stupid
prices they are bringing. I will likely own a Magie before I own a Titus.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Mike

Guys, I was making reference to the checklist that I am working from. I wish I could recall where I snagged it from.

There are a few others that could be on the list, Bull Durham, both Merkles, all of the Hal Chase cards etc.

The cards all have a story as to WHY they carry a premium added. That is not in question.

I am imagining some poor Newbie looking at the list and seeing them as "common".

Personally, I think a common price multiplier could be implemented. Pick a price. For the sake of this statement, let's say that a "true" common can be had for $25. A Fred Merkle might be considered a 2X common, a Black Sox Chick perhaps a 2.5X or even a 3X common. It would get insane with the Doyle or the Magie, though

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 12-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:06 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I do understand what you are saying but the list you have are not listed as
commons in most price guides. Take SMR for example they group all the commons at one price for a certain grade but all the cards on your list have there own listing with higher prices with the exception of Doyle (NY) ,Pelty
and Magee.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Mike,
I am in the same boat with you as what I have left is primarily Hall of famers, Southern Leaguers and the uncommon commons. I am at 417 but expect slow going from here on. With the exception of Magee, every card you listed is on my wantlist, too.

Last edited by bigtrain; 12-24-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: error
Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I do understand what you are saying but the list you have are not listed as
commons in most price guides. Take SMR for example they group all the commons at one price for a certain grade but all the cards on your list have there own listing with higher prices with the exception of Doyle (NY) ,Pelty
and Magee.
Pat, Yes I know that there are places where the true values are indicated. Heck, a quick check of Completed Sales on the 'Bay or previous actions at various auction houses would quickly educate a Newbie. I think my original post was more a post out of frustration. I have burned through all of the "easy" guys and the 76 remaining are going to get expensive. I think it is safe to say the a Grant (Portrait) won't get the job done for any of them.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

It is kinda funny what is called a common. The SP label will not work because none of them are tougher due to being a Single Prints.

In recent months, I have been focusing some on the tougher commons. I don't want the last 100 cards I need to complete the set to be the same 100 cards everyone else needs. I have a bunch of doubles and upgrades of tougher commons that should serve me well as trade bait.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Mike,
I am in the same boat with you as what I have left is primarily Hall of famers, Southern Leaguers and the uncommon commons. I am at 417 but expect slow going from here on. With the exception of Magee, every card you listed is on my wantlist, too.
Tom,

You and I are two of the biggest movers on Frank's thread. We both still have a tough row to hoe ( I guess that's better than a tough ho' to row). Things WILL get expensive from here on out...........
Old 12-24-2013, 10:25 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Pat, Yes I know that there are places where the true values are indicated. Heck, a quick check of Completed Sales on the 'Bay or previous actions at various auction houses would quickly educate a Newbie. I think my original post was more a post out of frustration. I have burned through all of the "easy" guys and the 76 remaining are going to get expensive. I think it is safe to say the a Grant (Portrait) won't get the job done for any of them.
Agree 100% Mike, and with some of them Franklin (port) may not get
the job done.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Agree 100% Mike, and with some of them Franklin (port) may not get
the job done.
And that is my unintentional line in the sand at the moment. I have reached 448 cards without spending over $100 (actually $95) for any one card as yet.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
It is kinda funny what is called a common. The SP label will not work because none of them are tougher due to being a Single Prints.

In recent months, I have been focusing some on the tougher commons. I don't want the last 100 cards I need to complete the set to be the same 100 cards everyone else needs. I have a bunch of doubles and upgrades of tougher commons that should serve me well as trade bait.
Slip, that's a good idea. Eleven years ago, when I was just starting out, I had a shot at a Plank, but $12,000 seemed like too much to pay. I could buy so many commons and even HOFs with that much money.
I didn't realize that I could get the commons anytime, but not the Plank. I kicked myself for years about letting that one get away. I think that it's worth about $35- $40K now.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
And that is my unintentional line in the sand at the moment. I have reached 448 cards without spending over $100 (actually $95) for any one card as yet.
Mike, I'm just curious. How many HOFs have you gotten for under $100?
Besides Waddell.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Mike, I'm just curious. How many HOFs have you gotten for under $100?
Besides Waddell.
Rube is not typical of my HOF guys. I bought him "just because". Except for the Chesbro and the Iron Joe, the rest of this list is "good enough" for me. My threshold on HOF guys is a LITTLE lower than Commons and SL but they are not trashed. Most are raw but some are slabbed in the SGC 30/PSA2 range. Most are under $70

29. Jake Beckley
33. Chief Bender (Pitching Trees In Background)
51. Roger Bresnahan (Portrait)
52. Roger Bresnahan (With Bat)
77. Frank Chance (Portrait Red Background)
86. Jack Chesbro
90. Fred Clarke (Pittsburgh Holding Bat)
91. Fred Clarke (Pittsburgh Portrait)
100. Jimmy Collins (Minneapolis)
117. George Davis (Chicago)
161. Johnny Evers (With Bat Chicago On Shirt)
170. Elmer Flick
189. Clark Griffith (Batting)
190. Clark Griffith (Portrait)
226. Hughie Jennings (One Hand Showing)
238. Addie Joss (Pitching)
243. Joe Kelley
294. Rube Marquard (Hands At Thighs)
296. Rube Marquard (Portrait)
309. Iron Man McGinnity
482. Rube Waddell (Portrait)
487. Bobby Wallace
492. Zack Wheat

Here is the only scan I have handy

BRES FR 001.jpg

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 12-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Slip, that's a good idea. Eleven years ago, when I was just starting out, I had a shot at a Plank, but $12,000 seemed like too much to pay. I could buy so many commons and even HOFs with that much money.
I didn't realize that I could get the commons anytime, but not the Plank. I kicked myself for years about letting that one get away. I think that it's worth about $35- $40K now.
I can see how that could haunt you for many years. I have many cards over the years that I regret not buying but nothing that large