NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default COOPERSTOWN BB card Show this HOF weekend

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

The annual Hall of Fame weekend BB card Show at the VFW building starts next Friday - Saturday (25th - 26th).
The VFW building is diagonally across from the HOF....show times are 10 AM - 7 PM, each day....A quality Show
since 1981.....and Admission is FREE.

With Goose Gossage being inducted, they are expecting a really great crowd in Cooperstown next weekend. So,
come join us. Lots of vintage cards from 19th Century to 1941. And, a good selection of post-WWII cards. Also,
great selection of vintage memorabilia. Jimmy Spence will be authenticating Autographs (I think he will be at the
Show again this year).

This is always a tremendous weekend in Cooperstown, NY......hope to see you there.

TED Z

Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

This will be the 20th consecutive HOF induction weekend for me. Best weekend of the year.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Just WAY too many people!
of course, I try to do too much by dragging along small children who have vastly different needs and possess far different appetites for baseball than do I....I have issues.

but yes, the best weekend of the year, if you can make it.

Ted, do you have a regular spot to stay at in town? I have never been able to stay in town during the hallowed event weekend...

Old 07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

how does the bb card show alone compare with the National? will there be autographers? what day is best to go?

Rob

Old 07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I respectfully disagree. The best weekend is at a National

Old 07-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Hello Everyone,

I've been to Cooperstown on Hall of Fame weekend for the last five years. It's a great time. I doubt if it will be as busy as last year when Ripken went in, but the big crowds are all a part of the experience. I get a kick out of seeing the Hall-of-Famers in person, and just shopping for autographs in town. I'm very fortunate because my wife likes to go, too. The baseball card show is pretty small, but there are a few nice pre-war vintage vendors (Ted, of course, is at the head of the list) that I buy from every year. There is a lot of nice vintage material for sale in the shops in town, but bring a heavy wallet because if your used to shopping on eBay the prices are very high.

The highlight of the experience for me is the Induction ceremony and the Hall itself. My wife and I like to go to the Hall after the ceremony and watch as they fasten the new inductees plaque on the wall. Then, as the room empties, we just roam about the main hall and listen to all of the ghosts. My wife likes to hear the few stories that I know about the players' lives. We also go to the post office that stays open on Sunday and get a few items post marked on Induction Day. It's a crazy scene and a lot of fun.

If anyone knows of places that a visitor to the Cooperstown area should see, or unique places to eat, or shops where bargins on memorbilia might be found, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Joe

Old 07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Joe,

As you said, I sincerely doubt any bargains will be found in C'town (certainly not in the autograph department, anyhow).

Please tread very carefully when buying autographs in that town. It's one of the most dangerous places to purchase any signed memorabilia.

Jodi

Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Will it be packed friday because i was thinking about going down this weekend but now that i hear about this, i think i want to go next week. But if its really package never mind.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Hi Jodi,

You are probably right about the autographs; every store on main street has thousands of signed items for sale. The only autographs that I purchase in Cooperstown are the one's where the player signs in front of you. I know they are expensive, but at least you get to shake the player's hand and (in most cases) get your picture taken with the player. I especially like the spots that are not so busy and you can spend a few moments chatting with the oldtimer.

Best wishes,

Joe

Old 07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Four of us stay up in Fly Creek, approx. 10 miles North of Cooperstown. We have stayed at this Motor Lodge
since the late 1980's.
It's completely booked-up every year. Everything is booked-up for 50 miles around Cooperstown. Some lodge
as far north as Albany (90 miles away).

Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Hi Brock,

Friday shouldn't be too bad. Last year they roped off main street on Saturday and Sunday, so although it was crowded you still could get around. The year before when Bruce Sutter was inducted there were not large crowds.

Joe

Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Every Summer there are about 100 BB players (at least 50 HOFers) that are constantly signing Friday thru Sunday)
all over Cooperstown. It's the only guaranteed way to acquire a ballplayer's autograph....and the best part of it, is
that most these guys are friendly and talkative.

TED Z

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Continuing on Ted's train of thought, the induction weekend even manages to bring out a handful of non-HOF alumni who are there to support their enshrined bretheren, or just come to join in the fun as fellow fans. I remember running into Phillies hurler Tom Hume in 1989. He was buying cards like the rest of us (actually, he might be the only collector of those 1980's Topps Coins that I know of ! ). He kindly signed a ball for me. He seemingly dropped off the face of the earth for a few years shortly thereafter. I wonder if a valid home address has been found yet.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Some of the best conversations that I've had in Cooperstown, the past few years, were with Yogi Berra and his wife Carmen, and
Don Larsen. And, these just happened, running into them on Main Street.

TED Z

Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

You asked...."how does the bb card show alone compare with the National? will there be autographers? what day is best to go?"

It doesn't....other than the Philly Show, nothing compares with the National. However, this small Show can be a "sleeper"; as I
have found cards and BB related items that I haven't seen anywhere else......for starters, here are some examples.....

A T206 Schaefer with a UZIT back (Ex) for only $20.

A T206 Chance with a Lenox back (Ex) for only $28.

This great 1904 Buffalo Team card

TED Z

Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

yes, returning to the same place every year becomes kind of therapeutic.
I have gone a few times since 2002 (2002, 2005 and 2007, I think), and we stay in Schenectady...not perfect, but you now, it is kinda nice to get away from the big crowds at night

Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

I still can't believe Gossage and Sutter are HOf'ers.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Is their a website thats shows all the stuff that will be there. Thanks

Old 07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

BROCK

For general info regarding the Cooperstown area, try this link......

http://www.cooperstown.com

TED Z

Old 07-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fred

i remember going to that show in the early 80's and when i went last year to see ripken i went again. i always remember that show for some reason. a lot of good stuff there post and pre-war. i always eat outside to support the veterns as well, great deal on hotdogs and sausage. don't know if i'll make it this year, but i was thrilled to see it still going strong last year after about a 13 year break.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

It doesn't....other than the Philly Show, nothing compares with the National. However, this small Show can be a "sleeper"; as I
have found cards and BB related items that I haven't seen anywhere else......for starters, here are some examples.....

A T206 Schaefer with a UZIT back (Ex) for only $20.

A T206 Chance with a Lenox back (Ex) for only $28.

This great 1904 Buffalo Team card

Ted how many years ago were these finds???

Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

If it's the same show I'm thinking about(it was held outdoors), then I also have fond memories of it. Forgive me if I've already shared this:

As a youngster, I happened upon this show on a side street during Induction weekend. I had a grand total of $8 to spend! I blew it all in short order on a box of commons and a Munson card. As I was about to leave the show, an old-timer approached me and asked how I was enjoying the weekend. As only a kid can do, I relayed how much fun I was having. The gent proceeded to tell me that there were HOFers signing autographs at the little show. He said, "Who would you like to meet? Monte Irvin? Johnny Mize?". I told him that I had already spent my limit. He laughed heartily, and told me that he "would take care of it". I looked at the few folding tables set up for the signers, and saw the signs: "MONTE IRVIN", "JOHNNY MIZE", etc. I then spotted a vacant table with a paper sign marked "ENOS SLAUGHTER". Responding to the fellow, I said "Enos Slaughter!". He laughed again, and said, "You're lookin' at him!". He gently took the notebook out of my hand, asked my name, and wrote "Jodi, Best Wishes, Enos Slaughter" (he even spelled my name right without asking!). He then proudly took me over to Mize's table and had Johnny autograph the page underneath his signature. I still remember how imposingly huge Mize's hands and stature were to me!

I've since gone on to own and sell very valuable and historic signed items, making a full-time living out of my passion for our hobby. On the best of days, that lined sheet, since yellowed with age, might only be worth the $8 I brought along to the card show with me that hot summer day, but the kindness extended to a child by one of baseball's greats makes that paper one of the most valuable things in my collection.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

This 1904 Buffalo Team card was a "walk-in" in 1997.

The T206 Schaefer with a UZIT back (Ex) for $20; and, the T206 Chance with a LENOX back (Ex) for $28....I won at
the Saturday nite auction (held after the Show ends) in 1996.

Now, if you want me to list more recent great finds at the Show or in the local Sports shops on Main Street, I could
fill up this page. Here are a few highlights in recent years......

55 -1941 Play Ball Hi#s with wrong backs....including two Joe DiMaggio's (all in Ex+ condition).....2001

Two T206 Red Cobb's in Ex-Mt condition.....2002

Complete 1941 Play Ball set (72 cards) in EX+ condition.....2003

44 assorted E-type cards (including Wagner's and Cobb's).....2004

155 - T206's collection (incl. 45 HOFers).....2005

A run of REACH BB Guides (1905 - 1912).....2006

58 - (all) American Beauty 350's & 460's T206's.....2007

That's just for starters, John.......

T-Rex TED

Old 07-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Since 1981 this Show has been indoors at various locations in Cooperstown. For the past 16 years it has been in the VFW
building diagonally across from the BB Hall of Fame.

TED Z

Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Guess it was a different show, then. I don't think I ever attended the one in question.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

During the 1990's, there was a show (or two) held outdoors under a tent that competed with
the "traditional" indoor Show. Perhaps, that is what you recall.

TED Z

Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I hope there will be some bumps/reminders to this thread as the date of the show gets closer.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Yes, this show was held partially under a yellow tent, although my experience dates from the previous decade.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Russo

I was in Cooperstown this past weekend as I have a summer home 7 miles north of the village near the lake. All the merchants are complaining that tourism is way down this year due to the economy and cost of gas. Last year was the all time record for crowds, estimated 75,000 for induction weekend as compared to 25,000 in a regular good year. This year attendence could be way down as Gossage is not expected to be a huge draw. If you don't like crowds, this would be a good year to visit. One word of warning: the village is trying to raise revenue and has installed paid parking at Doubleday Field. Also they are enforcing parking time limits. Tickets are $35 so be careful.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Tom - thanks for the info.

I understand tourism being down due to the cost of gas, but I'm not sure that being more prolific in handing out tickets to those tourists who do show is a good long term plan.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Russo

Agreed. Most of the merchants in town were against the plan and it was hotly debated. The problem as I understand it is that this village of 2000 people has trouble supporting the infrastructure needed to accommodate 500,000 visitors per year. It takes a great toll on the roads, sidewalks, bridges, water treatment plant etc. The bed tax that tourists pay to stay at a hotel or B&B goes to the county. The county in the past has not been willing to share the wealth.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

I think im going to go to the show on Friday. Was thinking about getting some autographs but there price are very high. I thought Yogi would be cheap, yeah right.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

If anyone is interested, I will be in Cooperstown this weekend for induction. Although we will not be set up at the show, I'd be happy to schedule appointments with board members interested in submitting cards to SGC. If I can help anyone save one way shipping to us, please give me a call at the office (1-800-742-9212 x114), and I'll be happy to see how I can help you. I will be in town Saturday and Sunday, leaving shortly after induction.

Hope to see some of you this weekend!

Brian Dwyer
SGC
bdwyer@sgccard.com
1-800-742-9212 x114

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

I'm on my way to the idyllic Village of Cooperstown....hope to see some of you there.

Reprising initial post info......

The annual Hall of Fame weekend BB card Show at the VFW building starts next Friday - Saturday (25th - 26th).
The VFW building is diagonally across from the HOF....show times are 10 AM - 7 PM, each day....A quality Show
since 1981.....and Admission is FREE.

With Goose Gossage being inducted, they are expecting a really great crowd in Cooperstown next weekend. So,
come join us. Lots of vintage cards from 19th Century to 1941. And, a good selection of post-WWII cards. Also,
great selection of vintage memorabilia. Jimmy Spence will be authenticating Autographs (I think he will be at the
Show again this year).

This is always a tremendous weekend in Cooperstown, NY......hope to see you there.

TED Z