NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2018, 06:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Baseball History Through Photography - Dags. to Wire Service Photos 1858-1958, Rucker

This is a paid advertisement. Thanks to Mark for allowing Net54baseball to help spread the word about what looks to be a really nice set of books. Mark might come back and answer questions if there are any or his contact info is below.
thanks

My name is Mark Rucker, and I have spent the last 30 years hunting for the earliest, the most obscure, and the rarest of baseball images. I have specialized in photography, since it provides a window into the past unlike anything else. In amassing a database of tens of thousands of baseball images I have gained a view of the continuity and complexity of baseball history. I was in the forefront of finding and researching 19th Century baseball images, CdVs, cabinet cards, tintypes, etc, exploring new territory in the game’s history. Later, needing more frontiers to explore, I ventured to Cuba, gathering images to create the first pictorial history of the Island game. The coincidence of the development of baseball and the birth of photography is too fabulous to ignore. I have tried for more than a decade to convince publishers that there should be a book to document the parallel histories. Since no one has been willing to take on the project, I was forced to wait for technology to allow the creation of on-demand color pictorial hardcover books.

Using a publishing machine in New York City I am capable of producing hard cover books that are photographically loaded from start to finish. I decided to produce a volume to cover each genre of photographic baseball history. Cartes-de-visites, cabinet cards, stereo views, tintypes and hard images, real photo postcards, and news bureau photography each has its own volume. These books are expensive. They cannot be ordered in quantity at a discount. They are printed one at a time, each copy costing me over 160.00. My only hope of selling copies is to adopt the Limited Edition model - keeping the number of each book to nine copies. I am essentially doubling the price to me, in offering the books to collectors. After nine copies of each book is sold, no more will ever be printed. There is a discount offered if the entire series is purchased.

Last edited by Leon; 05-26-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:44 PM
Barry Sloate

I have Volume One on Baseball CdV's and the quality is extraordinary. There are many new images of early baseball photography I've never seen before. Really exceptional..and I admit I'm biased as Mark is a very dear friend.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Can you post a sample page and list how many pages there are in each book? What images in the carte book are different than in your soft cover book?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'd certainly be interested in a set if I could get a 'taste' first..

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-25-2018, 09:15 PM

Best of luck to Mark. Mark’s little auction many years ago is still my favorite and it’s also the one that got me started collecting vintage baseball material.

Rob M

IMG_1735.JPG.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 05-27-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I can't speak for Mark but I have a feeling he isn't around a computer almost every second of the year as many of us are. So please be a tiny bit patient and I would be surprised if ya'll don't get some answers tomorrow.

Last edited by Leon; 05-26-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:57 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Can you post a sample page and list how many pages there are in each book? What images in the carte book are different than in your soft cover book?
Laying the book flat on the computer may hurt the spine. It contains all the pictures from the first book with a few dozen or so new images Mark has uncovered over the ensuing years. Some are nice generic images, others are quite significant. And the paper quality is far superior, with every page a thick glossy stock.

According to Leon's last post, it sounds like Mark will be on this thread at some point. He and his wife are running a farm in British Columbia. There are animals to feed and peaches to be picked. So he is indeed busy with non-baseball matters.

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-26-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

He sent me an email about 12am, this morning, saying he would respond today. He is not familiar with forums though so I have my work cut out for me . I think our s/w has an easy learning curve. I already set him up an account so we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Laying the book flat on the computer may hurt the spine. It contains all the pictures from the first book with a few dozen or so new images Mark has uncovered over the ensuing years. Some are nice generic images, others are quite significant. And the paper quality is far superior, with every page a thick glossy stock.

According to Leon's last post, it sounds like Mark will be on this thread at some point. He and his wife are running a farm in British Columbia. There are animals to feed and peaches to be picked. So he is indeed busy with non-baseball matters.

Last edited by Leon; 05-26-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Barry Sloate

I hope Mark posts. He has a wealth of knowledge and a lot of great hobby stories to tell.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Barry-Are there attempts at identifying the players in the CdVs?
Old 05-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
In those instances in which players are known and can be identified, yes. The 1875 Hartford CdV is completely identified, for example. In the case of a superb image or team that is worth including in the book but is otherwise unknown, it isn't.

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-26-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hopefully, Mark took this opportunity to correct the identification mistakes in the soft cover book.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Hopefully, Mark took this opportunity to correct the identification mistakes in the soft cover book.
Hopefully.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:20 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Crickets
Old 05-27-2018, 05:49 PM

I am away from the computer as much as possible, I must admit. I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome and for remembering who I am. Not a card collector, the photographic field and the card field interface just enough that I have gotten to know many of the Net54 members over the years. But this is my first attempt at communicating online with you. Leon is right - please be patient. I will try to keep up. I will attempt to post some interior pages of each book as examples. I can understand that these books could be hard to imagine - they are different. Here is more info about them -
The books are all 10” x 8” horizontal.
• CdV Book contains 74 pages, 108 images, 40 unpublished. Price 350.00
• Tintype Book contains 68 pages, 105 images, almost all unpublished. Price 325.00
• Cabinet Card Book contains 88 pages, 117 images, almost all unpublished. Price 350.00
• Stereo View Book contains 70 pages, 60 images, almost all unpublished. Price 325.00
• Real Photo Postcard Boor contains 98 pages, 141 images, almost all unpublished. Price 350.00
• News & Wire Service Photo Book contains 80 pages, with 75 full page images, almost all unpublished. Price 350.00
Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 PM

As to the identifications, I did miss Lipman Pike in the 1875 Hartford photo. Forgiveness requested. I also included in the volume the subsequent year for Cummings and the Blue Stockings, 1876.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Mark- welcome to the board. Great to see you posting!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:00 AM
GaryPassamonte

Hi Mark- Are there any ambroypes pictured in the hard inages tintype book?

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 05-28-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The attempt to identify players is ever ongoing, but if a player is not a professional, our only hope is to find a name written on the back of the card. With someone like Curry Klunk, however, the name is nice to know but leads nowhere.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Are the RPPC's major league images or are local town teams included?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:31 PM

The selection is based mostly on aesthetics, as you will find postcards of major leaguers, minor leaguers, town teams, black players, native players, women players, cuban teams, players and more. It is a mixture of baseball images from the deadball era. I will be uploading some sample pages on Net54 shortly.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:46 PM
GaryPassamonte

Are there hard images other than tintypes included?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Mark (hi Mark) sent this over earlier. This is as big as it is and if I make it larger it gets blurry....I have asked for a larger image.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:01 PM

Default back to the keyboard

Just sent Leon some bigger files of sample pages, so they may be up soon.

Hi Gary. The Metallica book has four ambrotypes and one dag. The rest are tintypes that range from gem size to full plate.

One of the cartes in the CdV book came to me from Barry Sloate. The photo is a classic with the player holding his huge bat in his full, simple uniform. Quite recently on the internet, I was calling up cdv images when I saw the batter again, this time with an identification. He was referred to as Edward Dikeman. He looks a lot like Charlie Blackmon of the Rockies.

With a disclaimer, I included the name in his caption in the CdV book, but I know nothing of how this ID appeared. Is it another copy of the carte with a name written on the verso? Does anybody know?

I will try to upload the image.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

files....the ones sent over larger were able to be made larger on the screen

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark8.jpg (77.2 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-29-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:30 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

I thought I would give my thoughts as I purchased the set.

The individual volumes (six in total) are excellent. The picture and paper quality are very good, and Mark was inclusive in the images he selected. Accordingly as a research tool the volumes are very useful as one would be hard pressed to find many of the images in another publication. They also present sides of the game (e.g., woman playing baseball in the 19th century) that are rarely depicted and which put the game in a broader context.

The books by depicting different photographic processes serve too to well illustrate how photography evolved.

I recognize the books are not inexpensive, and are not for everybody. But if the set or individual volumes fit within your budget they are something you will get much enjoyment out of.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:15 PM

Default kind words from a cornerstone

Corey and one other collector have purchased a set of the books. I am very gratified to receive a good review from one of the cornerstones of the hobby, Corey Shanus. We have known each other a long time, all the way back to those early days of 19th Century discoveries, and along the way have had some extraordinary experiences. Corey and Barry Sloate have been my companions through many an adventure.

If more reviews of the books are possible, I will try to post them.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Mark,
On another part of this board, we have a discussion going about the find of Harry Wright scorebooks. That is an adventure the three of us shared. Great memories!
Old 06-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Default Books for historians

I plan to bring the set of six books to the SABR convention in Pittsburgh later this month, along with other historical materials for sale. SABR members are the most active baseball book buyers anywhere. However, they will never have seen volumes like these.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM
K3v1n Stru55

I have also purchased a set of Mark's books. His 1988 Baseball Cartes - The First Baseball Cards has been an indispensable part of my hobby library for years, so I knew that his six-volume was going to be a must for me.

The books are of the highest quality. The breath of subjects included was a pleasant surprise to me. Instead of just picturing the hobby's famous images, Mark included an incredible variety of images within each book - from the Negro Leagues, to the House of David, to Cuban baseball, to Bloomer Girls..you get the point.

Most of the images were new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with each volume and appreciating the areas of collecting that have generally been foreign to me.

My collection of hobby reference material is very important to me and I do not think that it would be complete without Mark's books. The price is definitely on the steep side, but if your collection consists of these types of images then I think that this would make a great compliment to it.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 06-17-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

I wrote Mark to purchase a copy of one of the books. I have not heard back...… I'm patient.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Email address update

This is Mark back on the thread. For everyone's info the email address for me is theruckerarchive@icloud.com. And also for your info I will NOT be attending SABR this year - I cracked a bone, and must stay home.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default that's the one I used

sorry about your injuries. I should have sent a card I have emailed you again.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Barry Sloate

I am injured too Henry. I fell yesterday and have a bad ankle sprain. I thought I might have broken it at the time. I am wearing a protective boot and icing it. But I will still be in Florida in July.

Mark, feel better. Sorry about the crack.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-19-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default ouch

hope it's not something "in the cards". Or worse - chemical leeching from old photos! Looking forward to it.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Default email that works

Henry - can you contact me about the book(s) at this email:
theruckerarchive@icloud.com. Thanks.
Barry - we are too old for this stuff!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rucker View Post
Henry - can you contact me about the book(s) at this email:
theruckerarchive@icloud.com. Thanks.
Barry - we are too old for this stuff!
Tell me about it. Hope you are not in too much pain. I'm healing well.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I posted my response

in the wrong thread and felt Mark deserved to hear how much I enjoyed my copy of the Tintype images reference. Easier than collecting the images themselves. It's a beautiful book...…….