NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default 1800s Baseball Bat

Seller described this bat as mid 1800s but also stated it's about 120 years old Anyways at over $500 is that about average price for such a bat today? My guess is the bat was closer to 1860-70s. Is that accurate? I was sure my snipe close to $400 was gonna get her First snipe I've ever placed FWIW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat.jpg (14.9 KB, 703 views)

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 07-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM
pete ullman

depends whether there is a manufacturer or any stamping on it...also...the round knob/mushroom knob is very desirable and increases the cost/value! I'd guess late 19th c...maybe even early 20th c.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

No markings according to seller.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Matt

could be a farm tool handle too..

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
John Harrell

Based on the straight taper and the ball knob, I'd date it 1860-70. Nice bat. I was thinking of bidding on it myself.

John
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I thought it went a bit high for what it is. I was thinking $350 - $400 would get it.

Pretty neat looking Bat though.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
John Harrell

"I thought it went a bit high for what it is. I was thinking $350 - $400 would get it."

My thoughts as well. I thought maybe $300.

John
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Looks good

I could see it going for $510.00...that's still pretty low I think...based on the photos to me it looks like a bat not a farm tool...and the barrel end looks kind of black, like maybe a worn black ring end which would pretty much positively I.D. it as a bat...Had I been a bidder I wouldn't have been bashful asking for more and closer photos....Especially with that no return policy. These home made 1860ish bats seem to appear regularly on eBay but overall I'd say that one looks extra nice...Now if there were any maker markings that would have changed the value equation....

Photobucket

It has two classic aspects that set off my radar and I'm wild about....the straight taper and the squared barrel end....and it does seem to have a pretty nice patina...not all water stained up. Personally I'd say based on what's out there..if it is a bat there may even be room left at $510.00....it just depends on it's presence once you see it in person....The part that really hurts the deal though is that no returns policy.

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 07-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The squared barrel end scared me off a little bit. It almost looked hacked off as opposed to a natural/original ending to the barrel. I'm sure it was probably ok, but the provided photo just made it look funny with a slightly slanted cut, and looking a bit unnatural.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Seller described this bat as mid 1800s but also stated it's about 120 years old Anyways at over $500 is that about average price for such a bat today? My guess is the bat was closer to 1860-70s. Is that accurate? I was sure my snipe close to $400 was gonna get her First snipe I've ever placed FWIW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
Michael,

I know it's been almost half a year since that auction, but I was the winner! Here is the funny thing, your snipe bid should have taken it home EASILY! I had the high bid, and as I was riding down the interstate in the car, I was watching closely, as I really wanted the bat. I told myself I wouldn't go any higher than $250.

Well, as the auction went under a minute, 20 seconds actually, the bid was rapidly approaching $250. I talked myself into a bid of $280. Here is the funny thing (not so funny at the time), I was using ebay mobile on my phone so it took a few more seconds to bring up the bid window, so I was typing really fast and knew I only had a few seconds to get the little higher bid in. Anyway, in all my haste, I didn't look closely before I hit confirm bid.

And then, BOOM! I see the winning bid was 510.00, and at first I said, wow that went high, only to then realize I had won.

When I had placed the bid, I was in such a hurry, and didn't pay attention to where I placed the decimal point, so I accidentally put in a bid of $2800!!! OOPS!

At first I was really pissed at myself, but when I got the bat, I was super excited. I'm not a bat expert and don't really have any idea of the actual age of the bat. I'm just starting to amass a collection of baseball memorabilia. Bats are my first priority as they just interest me so much. I wanted to start my collection with a bat from the early early years, so a hand made bat made sense to me.

So is it worth $500? Who knows, but now I have a fun story and a great beginning piece to my collection.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 AM

Default Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitleth View Post
Michael,

I know it's been almost half a year since that auction, but I was the winner! Here is the funny thing, your snipe bid should have taken it home EASILY! I had the high bid, and as I was riding down the interstate in the car, I was watching closely, as I really wanted the bat. I told myself I wouldn't go any higher than $250.

Well, as the auction went under a minute, 20 seconds actually, the bid was rapidly approaching $250. I talked myself into a bid of $280. Here is the funny thing (not so funny at the time), I was using ebay mobile on my phone so it took a few more seconds to bring up the bid window, so I was typing really fast and knew I only had a few seconds to get the little higher bid in. Anyway, in all my haste, I didn't look closely before I hit confirm bid.

And then, BOOM! I see the winning bid was 510.00, and at first I said, wow that went high, only to then realize I had won.

When I had placed the bid, I was in such a hurry, and didn't pay attention to where I placed the decimal point, so I accidentally put in a bid of $2800!!! OOPS!

At first I was really pissed at myself, but when I got the bat, I was super excited. I'm not a bat expert and don't really have any idea of the actual age of the bat. I'm just starting to amass a collection of baseball memorabilia. Bats are my first priority as they just interest me so much. I wanted to start my collection with a bat from the early early years, so a hand made bat made sense to me.

So is it worth $500? Who knows, but now I have a fun story and a great beginning piece to my collection.
Good post....$2,800....pretty funny...I can't recall what it looked like close up...maybe you could post some photos...but if it looks anything like the one photo above I posted of the barrel end...I'd say you're fine.

Your post reminds me of a time I was bidding in a Hunt auction on my phone while at work...and like your scenario it was hiking up past my top bid...those smart phones make it easier to up your bid than the old pre smart phone days...I manned up at the end, and with the mobility of the phone, got the three pieces I was after, see below...anyway Congratulations on your bat....six months latter....I think you did fine.

Photobucket
Via mobile bidding I got the two packs on the left....the one on the left is very rare...the one in the middle would probably be considered near impossible...the one on the right is quite common.

Photobucket
Via mobile bidding, a very rare tobacco pouch in very good condtion

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 01-04-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitleth View Post
Michael,

Oh wow what a story indeed! I'm glad it found a good home without costing you any more than it did. Nice bat to start your collection off with BTW. If you care to share all of us here at net54 love pics and would definately enjoy pics of this bat as well. Enjoy, Michael
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

I've done that a few times as well. At some point we'll here the story of an underbidder who bid $2,700 by accident!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM

Default Pics

I will definitely post some pics for you guys when I get home. I'm out of town for a few days. I, too, like pics. I get pretty jealous of a lot of the collections on here. I am a high school teacher that doesn't have a ton of disposable income. So my collection is slowly, very slowly starting.

I like the Cigs, Hendricks! Those are pretty cool.

-Mitch
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Dynarl Broughman

The bat may be a Massachusett's style bat if it has the same handle as mine. It is hard to see if it is or the mushroom style. The first bat in the picture is the Massachusett's style and the fourth one is a mushroom style. Sorry for the bad picture from the book.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

What book is this from??
Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Here it is.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Dynarl,

It looks more like the massachusetts style bat, but given the page seam and grainy photo, i can't be exact. However, I don't think it is a true mushroom style like the one pictured, in that it doesn't have a distinct ridge where the mushroom "attaches" to the handle. It's more of a smooth transition like the 'Mass style.

Also, I remember the guy in the auction said he bought it at a flea market in Kansas, and that the person that sold it to him picked it up at an estate sale in Nebraska. I know it's a bunch of he said she said, but being from Nebraska, I was excited to get it.

Can't wait to post pics in a few days and see what you guys think! I really hope its not a farm tool!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Mitleth I've been told my bat is a Railroad bat that is made out of a Railroad tool. I think your bat was made out of some kind of tool and there were different kinds of tools. Mine has the letters N.Y.C.S. and it is 32" long. Hope this helps looking forward to more pictures. D.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Default Pics!

Here are some extra pics of the bat. I don't think it is a worn down ring bat. I also don't see any evidence that there was ever any markings on the bat.

Open to any new info on maybe what type of bat it is/age. Not terribly worried about it, as I am really happy with it, but am always curious.

Also have never attached pics on here before. No idea how clear/big they will be.

Thanks!

Attachment 83813

Attachment 83808

Attachment 83811

Attachment 83812

Attachment 83809

Attachment 83810

Last edited by mitleth; 01-15-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ΨΝ

Interesting thread. I just picked us an NYCS bat that is also 32" in length. Not sure if it was ever used as a baseball bat, but still a cool piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_f.jpg (32.4 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 17_f.jpg (43.5 KB, 230 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 04-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default N.Y.C.S. bat

Here is my N.Y.C.S. bat. I have been told it is a Railroad bat and I bought it at a booth that had all Railroad items at an antique mall. Seeing your bat makes me wonder if the N.Y.C.S. could stand for New York City Schools
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13065_184359382798_6449231_n.jpg (67.6 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01124.jpg (75.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01125.jpg (72.9 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01126.jpg (75.4 KB, 227 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ΨΝ

I really have no idea, but I just found this blog on the New York Central System (NYCS). An interesting mystery

http://nycshs.blogspot.com/2008/05/n...d-history.html

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Jim Murphy

a lot of farm and industrial tools were made of wood. Back in the day, when something broke it was saved and used for other things. Here is an 1909 Appleton Car Mover Co Steampunk Industrial Railroad Tool. If the metal workings on the end broke off and the owner/user round and squared off the end, well then it might be something a collector might think is a baseball bat.

It is my opinion that none of the items displayed on these 3 pages are baseball bats. Not saying someone didn't use any of them as a 2nd use item as a bat. And yes maybe when they broke on the job the boys didn't use them as a bat on their lunch hours, but they were not made as such.

Last edited by murphusa; 04-14-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM

The Spalding "Wagon Tongue" bats were actually made from Broken or unused Wagon Tongues. Spalding would advertise in newspapers that they would BUY Wagon Tongues to make their bats out of! So famers weren't the only ones making Bats from other wooden items, AG Spalding made a fortune doing it on a big scale too!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:46 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Here is mine. Proably 31". Cracked handle which i think makes it a bat. Kind of an oval shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140415_084135.jpg (50.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20140415_084147.jpg (22.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20140415_084158.jpg (32.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20140415_084209.jpg (32.9 KB, 170 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
John Harrell

Chris,

I have an almost identical bat to yours, labeled NYCRR, with the same dimensions. It was not uncommon for these railroad tool handles to be used as bats back then.

John
Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Jim Murphy

But the farm/railroad tool can be purchased for $1.00 to $200.00. But because it was broken and reused as a baseball bat does not make it a $500 to $1000.00 item

The fact that Spalding was a bat maker and took a wagon tongue and repurposed it as a bat and marked it as such is a different story

Most if not all Spalding Wagon Tongue bats that I have handled were 34" to
42"

Most of the pictured railroad bats are 32" which even for the time would be considered a child's or young adult bat
Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Matt

A 42" spalding wagon tongue would awesome! Did you sell it or do you still have it?
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
A 42" spalding wagon tongue would awesome! Did you sell it or do you still have it?
Matt
sold about 8 years ago. weighed close to 50 oz's
Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Clint

I bought this as a bat but who knows. It's not the shorter 31-32 but 42". The end has been cut on. No markings on it. What do you think? Railroad tool?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5001480.JPG (63.9 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg S5001481.jpg (23.7 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg S5001482.JPG (41.6 KB, 198 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Any idea what it weighs Clint?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Clint

Quote:
Any idea what it weighs Clint?
It's around 48 oz.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM
John Harrell

Super nice bat Clint. What's the diameter of the barrel?

John
Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Jim Murphy

On these items that were converted to bats from other items, there should be some markings on them to show where the grain run is. Maybe not a manufactures logo, but an X or other marks to show the side of the bat to be used for hitting. Also if it was used as a bat there would also be markings constant to hitting a ball on the barrel
Old 04-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWGjohn View Post
Super nice bat Clint. What's the diameter of the barrel?

John
Thanks John. The barrel is 7.5" around.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
sold about 8 years ago. weighed close to 50 oz's
And it was marked "Spalding"?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
And it was marked "Spalding"?
went back to find email of description from when I sold it.

42 inch 48.6 oz on postal scale

Spalding Wagon Tongue which was split on either side of spalding logo
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 AM
John Harrell

Clint,

Here's a pic of one of my bats from roughly the same period with an egg knob, 38" long and about the same barrel diameter as yours

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #147a.jpg (75.1 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by WWGjohn; 04-18-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling