NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2023, 09:42 AM
Fred

Default Go Bochy and the WS champs!

I actually watched the WS this year. I was pulling for Texas because of the GM (Chris Young), manager (Bruce Bochy) and bench coach (Will Venable). There were a few Ranger players I like, but the management staff all had tie to the Pudres... Hoping the Puds get a new GM sometime. They have an owner that's willing to spend $$, but got a GM that's somewhat clueless. I hope he proves me wrong this year. Link to a really cool Venable catch from a few years back. I was watching that game on TV and thought it was one of the cooler catches I've seen.

What? Nobody cared about the WS this year?

https://www.google.com/search?q=vena...q_b9iJnEI,st:0
Old 11-02-2023, 09:48 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Will Bochy be back next year? This would be an amazing way to end his career
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-02-2023, 10:26 AM
Michael

Bochy has four WS titles but an under .500 regular season record (2093-2101) although it is over .500 if you include the postseason.

I don't think he needs the winning record to get into the Hall. Anyone with three of more WS wins is already in and there are other sub-.500 HOFers who got in primarily as managers in (Mack, Harris).

Would he come back to try and get his record over .500 or go out on a high note?

Adding: if/when he gets in, he will be the first HOFer born in France!
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 11-02-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:36 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I actually watched the WS this year. I was pulling for Texas because of the GM (Chris Young), manager (Bruce Bochy) and bench coach (Will Venable). There were a few Ranger players I like, but the management staff all had tie to the Pudres... Hoping the Puds get a new GM sometime. They have an owner that's willing to spend $$, but got a GM that's somewhat clueless. I hope he proves me wrong this year. Link to a really cool Venable catch from a few years back. I was watching that game on TV and thought it was one of the cooler catches I've seen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vena...q_b9iJnEI,st:0
Some great playoff competition this year, glad Bochy got another ring and I'm assuming he'll be back and get his record over .500, he's just a great manager and deserves to be in the Hall when he retires.

You're GM is definitely a liability, glad he let Bob Melvin come to the Giants, we have a lot of work to do but hiring Melvin is a step in the right direction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 11-02-2023 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

I didn't watch a second of the World Series this year, first time ever, but it was due to the two teams. Both were wild card teams, who had the worst combined record for two World Series opponents in the 119 series. Diamondbacks crawled into the playoffs, going 55-58 in their last 113 games of the year. Didn't feel like a real World Series matchup to me, just a product of expanded playoffs, which I was against. Eight teams should be the limit.

Manfred rules have also killed a lot of my love for modern baseball, plus these kids are all being taught to swing hard and hope for the best. They are obsessed with launch angle and exit velocity, while velocity has become the most important thing for pitchers. I watched a lot of Low-A games over the last 15 years as my job and these last two years have been garbage as far as the quality of play. Almost all of the players are raw tools and not much else. Low-A games before 2020 were much higher quality of play (though still not good in comparison to the majors). That goes back to Manfred though, lowering minor league roster limits and getting rid of short-season leagues. These tools-only kids are getting pushed to Low-A years ahead of when they would be ready (or never be ready). Basically the upcoming group of players is going to make the quality of play much worse in the near future...ending the Manfred rant now to get to the real point.

Anyway, I still found it funny when people say no one watched the series. It is true that it is the least watched World Series by far, no matter how you look at it. Worst ratings, easily lowest per game, lowest for an entire series, worst game-by-game for all four of the first four games (game five might be second worst game five ever, but if it beat out the 2020 low, it got a push from being an elimination game) and game three was the lowest viewed World Series game ever...yet around 9,000,000 people still watched it every night on average. In World Series terms, that definitely qualifies as "no one", but getting 9,000,000 people to watch something is also impressive, no matter what previous years showed. That's a lot of people viewing!
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-02-2023, 04:43 PM
John I.

I live in the DFW area so this was the first WS I've seen where my (high-schooler) friends were actually following the World Series and excited about it. I was very happy to see the Rangers succeed for the first time in my time as a sports fan, and I hope they can keep it up. I think they can - they have some good young players, and they're willing to spend money - and they're smart about it.

Last edited by John1941; 11-02-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:57 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'll watch any World Series that gives me a chance to watch a team win it for the first time. Congratulations to the Rangers! Now what are the odds I can live long enough to see the Rays, Rockies, Mariners, Brewers, and Padres win it all? (Please don't actually tell me.)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's sad, but I had no idea which teams were even in The World Series (I just assumed the Astros were), and only found out when my girlfriend asked, "Who are the Texas Rangers??" (because of Twitter). If asked to name a single player on either club, I would fail miserably and throw out a guess of Max Scherzer, because I think my Mets maybe unloaded him there during the season???

The weirdest part is, all of my friends undoubtedly didn't know either.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
Nice plane ride home.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boche.jpg (129.0 KB, 184 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-02-2023, 06:00 PM
Gary

Having grow up in Dallas with the Rangers teams of the late 70s and early 80s....it's great to see the Rangers finally get the trophy. It's a far cry from the days of Jim Sunberg, Bump Wills and Pat Putnam.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:41 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
-
Nice plane ride home.
-
Get a seat belt on that thing!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-02-2023, 07:16 PM
Fred

I think Bochy is headed for the Hall, especially after this championship.

The Pudres have an owner willing to shovel out the dough, but a GM that doesn't seem to understand that he needs to let a good manager do what they have to do. It was good to see Bob Melvin leave so that he can get his chance to show it wasn't him that was totally responsible for this years mess.

To me, it doesn't matter what teams are playing, I still like to watch. This year was nice because of the non-player personnel involved in this WS. It was good to see Texas grab the title.

It was nice to not have to watch the ghost runner's in game 1. At least there was that!
Old 11-03-2023, 07:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Living near Arlington, sort of, I was glad the Rangers broke their WS streak of 0. I watched some of the innings in a few of the games, especially game 5.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:48 AM
Michael

I wouldn't worry too much about Win-Loss %.

Who would you rather have managing your team? Career .499 manager named Bochy or a .630 manager named Roberts?

Bochy is a much better manager who has done far more with less talented teams than Roberts has had the good fortune to manage.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:16 AM
octavio ranzola

Class act
Old 11-04-2023, 06:11 AM
Pete Sycks

As a Vikings / Wild fan it's fun to see a first time team win it all. There's still hope for us (at least I hope)

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 11-04-2023, 07:56 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
As a Vikings / Wild fan it's fun to see a first time team win it all. There's still hope for us (at least I hope)
Waiting for the Mariners! My home state team. Although I'm a Reds fan, Mariners are the only stadium(s) I've ever been to. If you've never been to a game in Seattle, it's a real pleasure. I think they've got a fighting chance with JRod and their pitchers. I think Jerry Dipoto is an idiot, but they will win despite him.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-04-2023, 04:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

For 20 bucks, what the hell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (143.4 KB, 72 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:01 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Nice Pisker rookie!
Old 11-04-2023, 08:05 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Nolan Ryan would destroy all of you
Old 11-04-2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Actually, that 1979 rookie card is a progressive study in eyebrow thickness and volume, from Bochy's Groucho Marx on the left, to Fischlin's normal right eyebrow and then his partial left, and then Pisker's pencil thin versions.

That card was definitely worth the $20, especially if framed and sold at a substantial markup to a brow threading salon to advertise the breadth of their services.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps79bochy.jpg (143.4 KB, 43 views)