NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Default Hello, thanks for letting me join!

Hi to all. I am just getting into the card collecting world with genuine desire. I have dabbled in cards (mostly hockey) for a while, and just recently started cataloging what I have. This sparked an interested in "older stuff," which, I am thrilled to say, I bought my first pre-war baseball card. I am scared to death to find out if I was a true rookie rube or made a savvy purchase, and hope to pick your collective minds. So I posit this question: what would be a good price for a 1933 Goudey, slabbed as a PSA 8 (I know what most of you think of PSA's ability to grade a vintage card, I really have been trying to study before I bought)? I think you guys refer to it as a "common" card, I don't want to say what I paid it, I want to see what you all think a good price range for a card would be, a blind test so to speak. So just a basic idea, I know I have a lot to learn, and don't want to spend months over spending and have to learn the hard way. My eventual goal is to have a decent collection to leave my son, something we can share as he grows up. So, any advice is truly welcome. I will post the card I bought in a week, and you all can call me rookie or genius then! Thanks again, and I look forward to getting to know you all. Also, I am not in this to get valuable cards, just to collect what I think is cool. I just don't want to overspend if I don't have to.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, edjs.

The best way I can think of to answer your question about a common PSA 8 '33 Goudey is to refer to PSA's price guide:

http://www.psacard.com/SMRPriceGuide...?SMRSetID=1092

PSA breaks down the commons by card number in two ways:

Group 1: Cards # 1-40, 45-52
Group 2: Cards # 41-44, 53-240

Commons in the first group at PSA 8 are valued at $1,175.
Commons in the second group at PSA 8 are valued at $400.

These values reflect PSA's last update as of January 1, 2014

Please keep in mind that this is just a starting point, and the market could be noticeably higher or lower. To get a more accurate indication on where your particular card has been selling in a PSA 8, you would check cardtarget.com, or do a look up on VCP (vintagecardprices). VCP is a pay service, and card target is free. You can do a 24 hour membership to VCP for $3.99 (or maybe somebody here with a VCP membership could help you out).

https://www.vintagecardprices.com/register.php

If you give us the player name/card #, we can help you from there.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

You'll find a lot of information, and some really great people here. If you want to learn about pre-war and vintage collecting, this is the place to be.

Have fun!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Welcome to the forum, edjs.

The best way I can think of to answer your question about a common PSA 8 '33 Goudey is to refer to PSA's price guide:

http://www.psacard.com/SMRPriceGuide...?SMRSetID=1092

PSA breaks down the commons by card number in two ways:

Group 1: Cards # 1-40, 45-52
Group 2: Cards # 41-44, 53-240

Commons in the first group at PSA 8 are valued at $1,175.
Commons in the second group at PSA 8 are valued at $400.

These values reflect PSA's last update as of January 1, 2014

Please keep in mind that this is just a starting point, and the market could be noticeably higher or lower. To get a more accurate indication on where your particular card has been selling in a PSA 8, you would check cardtarget.com, or do a look up on VCP (vintagecardprices). VCP is a pay service, and card target is free. You can do a 24 hour membership to VCP for $3.99 (or maybe somebody here with a VCP membership could help you out).

https://www.vintagecardprices.com/register.php

If you give us the player name/card #, we can help you from there.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

You'll find a lot of information, and some really great people here. If you want to learn about pre-war and vintage collecting, this is the place to be.

Have fun!

Bill
Wow, that is the most amazing answer I could have got. I was expecting something more like "you should expect to pay between $200-$300 for that." But with your answer, I am already learning more! Teach a man to fish, thanks! The below is the pic from e-bay, I just bought it last night, and with that, this is what I got....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (68.9 KB, 162 views)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

great looking card!!
welcome aboard!
all the best,
barry
Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
great looking card!!
welcome aboard!
all the best,
barry
...and an even better team choice!

Welcome!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Wow, that is the most amazing answer I could have got. I was expecting something more like "you should expect to pay between $200-$300 for that." But with your answer, I am already learning more! Teach a man to fish, thanks! The below is the pic from e-bay, I just bought it last night, and with that, this is what I got....
I'm happy that helped you!

Cardtarget.com is a really great resource. I check it whenever I'm in the market for a card. If you go card target's home page, and select price history in the upper left hand corner, you'll get a list of all the pre-war and vintage cards sets that are being tracked thus far (more are being added). Select 1933 R319 Goudey (R319 being the set's American Card Catalog, or (ACC) designation, per Jefferson Burdick), and you'll be taken to a checklist of all the cards in the set. If you click on the player's name, you'll next come to a page showing current auctions for that card. Click on sales history, a link you'll find on the upper right side of this page. Now you'll see a list of all examples of this particular card sold over the last few years. This will include Ebay sales, as well as several of the auction houses (Mile High, Goodwin, Robert Edwards, Legendary, Heritage, etc). At the top of this page, you'll see options to filter down the list. You can choose the TPG (third party grader. PSA, SGC, etc), then the grade for the card.

Here are the PSA8 cards that have been sold publicly going back to 2010:

Bear in mind that a MC (miscut) qualifier will somewhat affect the overall value of the card. How much depends on a number of factors, including card scarcity, demand, etc.

From a fellow lover of Goudey cards, you picked a really nice example for your first card. Congratulations.

Bill

PS-if you have any questions about what the American Card Catalog is, and how it helps organize the various pre-war and vintage card sets logically, please feel free to send me a private message. Wikipedia has a fairly good overview available here, but that really scratches the surface.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 01-10-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM

Welcome!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Welcome aboard!!!

Try on a T206

Peace

Johnny V
Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
Try on a T206

Peace

Johnny V
I have my eye out for that very thing! I just got a 1909 Obak yesterday! Pre-wars are very addicting. Very much so.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I'm happy that helped you!

Cardtarget.com is a really great resource. I check it whenever I'm in the market for a card. If you go card target's home page, and select price history in the upper left hand corner, you'll get a list of all the pre-war and vintage cards sets that are being tracked thus far (more are being added). Select 1933 R319 Goudey (R319 being the set's American Card Catalog, or (ACC) designation, per Jefferson Burdick), and you'll be taken to a checklist of all the cards in the set. If you click on the player's name, you'll next come to a page showing current auctions for that card. Click on sales history, a link you'll find on the upper right side of this page. Now you'll see a list of all examples of this particular card sold over the last few years. This will include Ebay sales, as well as several of the auction houses (Mile High, Goodwin, Robert Edwards, Legendary, Heritage, etc). At the top of this page, you'll see options to filter down the list. You can choose the TPG (third party grader. PSA, SGC, etc), then the grade for the card.

Here are the PSA8 cards that have been sold publicly going back to 2010:

Bear in mind that a MC (miscut) qualifier will somewhat affect the overall value of the card. How much depends on a number of factors, including card scarcity, demand, etc.

From a fellow lover of Goudey cards, you picked a really nice example for your first card. Congratulations.

Bill

PS-if you have any questions about what the American Card Catalog is, and how it helps organize the various pre-war and vintage card sets logically, please feel free to send me a private message. Wikipedia has a fairly good overview available here, but that really scratches the surface.
Thank you so much. Everyone is so nice on this forum, and so much knowledge! I am really glad to be here.