NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2023, 10:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It's more of tautology; as it is designed to say nothing but the conclusion isn't itself a premise. Empty statement constructed in such a way that it works whether the components are true or false - they either will or will not do something based on if they think they should or should not.
In other words, utter BS.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I would disagree somewhat. Size is definitely one factor in determining trimming. It's not the only one though.
My wife says size doesn't matter.

Thanks, you've been a great audience; enjoy Whitesnake.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-28-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:52 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In other words, utter BS.
To use the technical term
Old 02-28-2023, 01:58 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
again...so much for random, anonymous grading.
Huh? Knowing a value has nothing to do with knowing who submitted it.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:02 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Hobby reference material will provide the "standard" size of cards for the different card issues.

Would it be a surprise to anyone if the number of vintage cards in high grade with razor sharp corners did not meet the "standard" size criteria?

And if the above is the case, what could be deduced from that information?

You simply can't go by the size of the card, but it's not a bad starting point to wonder if the card is trimmed.

I collect T206s but I'm not an aficionado. However I can see the huge variance in sizes for the T206 offerings (for example - AB back cards are more narrow than other backs). I would still have to believe that if a majority of high grade (razor sharp corners) T206 cards are smaller than the standard size card, then it's going to be difficult to convince me the card wasn't doctored.
I agree but a small devils advocate argument is the smaller ones are also nicer because they were protected by the larger size cards in a stack above and below it. Don’t believe me look how beat oversized cards end up compared to non oversized in a stack of vintage cards. But in all honesty one of the biggest reasons they are smaller is they are trimmed it’s just not the only reason.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:24 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Huh? Knowing a value has nothing to do with knowing who submitted it.
my point was "is a very high value" card treated the same as a $2 card when it's sent to be graded?

My understanding was that all cards are treated equally. Obviously this isn't the case.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
my point was "is a very high value" card treated the same as a $2 card when it's sent to be graded?

My understanding was that all cards are treated equally. Obviously this isn't the case.
All things equal I would want more experienced graders looking at higher end cards, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:11 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
All things equal I would want more experienced graders looking at higher end cards, no?
maybe?????? more experienced graders would be more likely to detect alterations, no? Whereas an inexperienced grader may not...so as someone sending my card in...maybe I want the inexperienced one?

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-28-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:22 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
maybe?????? more experienced collectors would be more likely to detect alterations, no? Whereas an inexperienced grader may not...so as someone sending my card in...maybe I want the inexperienced one?
HA. Reminds me of my business a bit.

"No one hires a financial statement auditor based on being the best auditor" - me

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-28-2023, 03:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
HA. Reminds me of my business a bit.

"No one hires a financial statement auditor based on being the best auditor" - me
As I like to say, every single public company sued for fraudulent financial statements had an auditor sign off on them.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:47 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
maybe?????? more experienced graders would be more likely to detect alterations, no? Whereas an inexperienced grader may not...so as someone sending my card in...maybe I want the inexperienced one?
Haha, you should try GAI.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2023, 07:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
I know I sound like a broken record but in all the hundreds of T206’s at shows I never saw a Mint one in the 80’s. I’ve only seen a handful of near perfect ones that were found in books free from handling and yet they still would have had a hard time getting a 7 in today’s standards. I view every T206 above a 6 today with suspicion. Not saying all are tampered with just hard to believe thousands are that nice naturally
I bought a handful of very nice ones back then, should have bought more. And these were from before toploaders etc.
Most graded between a 5 and 7. I'm sure there were some nicer, but not many.

I also got a few in what Looked to be a small original collection of T cards that literally came in a small paper bag. Same top end on those.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:20 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
This hobby’s fraud and greed never stops amazing me. I wonder how many high grade, rare cards are legitimate? I suspect the number is shockingly low. This is the reason I’m a low to collector-grade guy.
How many did you see in the 1980's? That ought to tell you.

You know I've called it a billion dollar fraud for many years now. It's way over a bil.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:32 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
According to SGC's pricing schedule, this card would cost about $4k to grade. How much time should that buy?
exactly, The TPG's want to charge an arm and a leg, but they don't WANT to investigate for even 4 hours. I'd like to make 4K in 10 minutes...If fact, sometimes I do,
Old 03-01-2023, 04:34 PM
Fred

Just curious. How much does PSA or SGC charge to grade a card with a perceived values of $100, $1K, $10K and $100K?

I think everyone knows where I'm going with this. If the TPGs charge based on the card value ($$), then they're better off assigning higher grades.

What if someone submits a card and indicates the value to be $10K but in reality, if the card is graded with a high grade and it's worth $50K. How does the TPG let the submitter know the valuation assigned by the submitter is too low?

Or on the flip side, what if the submitter assigns a value of $50K to a card (they assume a high grade) and the grade is more indicative of a $10K card, then how does the TPG provide a refund in the submitter's fee that was paid for a higher valuation of the card?

This is all pretzel logic to me.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:49 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Just curious. How much does PSA or SGC charge to grade a card with a perceived values of $100, $1K, $10K and $100K?

I think everyone knows where I'm going with this. If the TPGs charge based on the card value ($$), then they're better off assigning higher grades.

What if someone submits a card and indicates the value to be $10K but in reality, if the card is graded with a high grade and it's worth $50K. How does the TPG let the submitter know the valuation assigned by the submitter is too low?

Or on the flip side, what if the submitter assigns a value of $50K to a card (they assume a high grade) and the grade is more indicative of a $10K card, then how does the TPG provide a refund in the submitter's fee that was paid for a higher valuation of the card?

This is all pretzel logic to me.
For PSA, how it works is that there are maximum value amounts for each service level. You can submit something that is below that maximum value amount, but not above.

If your item turns out to be worth more than the maximum, then they upcharge you for the higher level of service that aligns with your actual value. You'll get an email, and they'll make you pay before they release your items. My experience is that they only do this in cases where the item clearly exceeds the value maximum.

If your item turns out to be worth less than you expected, then you just have the pleasure of having guessed high, and you pay for a higher service level than you really needed.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-02-2023, 12:25 AM

I believe PSA has graded the SGC 8.5 recently as a recent Instagram post they had has a card graded a 7 with the same exact stain or spot on the left bottom side of the card. Certification number for the newly graded card is 70609922
Old 03-02-2023, 11:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyjoe View Post
I believe PSA has graded the SGC 8.5 recently as a recent Instagram post they had has a card graded a 7 with the same exact stain or spot on the left bottom side of the card. Certification number for the newly graded card is 70609922
So much for the trimming.

Old 03-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
So much for the trimming.
I have no idea if it is the same card. What I do know is that once in a PSA slab it is golden. We have even had threads about it before with a poll and the polls showed all that mattered was the PSA slab.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:32 PM
Drew W@i$e

Pete from SGC said they are looking into it. Let's see what happens.

https://www.sportscardradio.com/trim...e-dimaggio-51/
Old 03-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post

If it's now in a PSA holder what are they gonna do?

Old 03-02-2023, 03:05 PM
Chase

Quote:

Pete can relax now. PSA relieved them of their burden. It is Nat's turn to now take action if it is deemed necessary. And it won't be necessary.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Pete can relax now. PSA relieved them of their burden. It is Nat's turn to now take action if it is deemed necessary. And it won't be necessary.
Hard to get through that circle of wagons, isn't it?

Old 03-02-2023, 11:25 PM
Chase

Quote:
Hard to get through that circle of wagons, isn't it?
Something about absolute power corrupts absolutely, comes to mind.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

This, too, shall pass with nothing happening. The wagons are circled would be my guess.

I'll be shocked if it end up as anything more than another example of the unholy alliance among card doctors, TPGs, and auction houses.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-06-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:17 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
I know I sound like a broken record but in all the hundreds of T206’s at shows I never saw a Mint one in the 80’s. I’ve only seen a handful of near perfect ones that were found in books free from handling and yet they still would have had a hard time getting a 7 in today’s standards. I view every T206 above a 6 today with suspicion. Not saying all are tampered with just hard to believe thousands are that nice naturally
You bring up a great point. I know many don't want to think this, but I am very wary of high graded cards, especially if they were just graded in the last few years. I am not saying all are bad, but you have to be vigilant.

Last edited by parkplace33; 03-06-2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You bring up a great point. I know many don't want to think this, but I am very wary of high graded cards, especially if they were just graded in the last few years. I am not saying all are bad, but you have to be vigilant.
This.

Old 03-08-2023, 01:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Bumping this once so it can get a little more airplay before, like all the other criminality in the hobby, it fades quickly into the past. Congratulations to the elite card doctor who trimmed it, whoever graded it (twice now it seems), and whoever is covering up for the perpetrator.. It's all good.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-08-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have no idea if it is the same card. What I do know is that once in a PSA slab it is GOLDIN .

See what I did there!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-08-2023, 02:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
the elite card doctor
The worst part is that it isn't even elite doctoring. Even I have a hard time blaming PSA for some of the micro trimming passing through on modern - such a tiny, tiny sliver is so carefully cut and the edges are so fresh that almost no one can tell without deep dives into a cards prior scans. But we see time and time again you can just lop off giant chunks of old cards and eventually PSA will pass it.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The worst part is that it isn't even elite doctoring. Even I have a hard time blaming PSA for some of the micro trimming passing through on modern - such a tiny, tiny sliver is so carefully cut and the edges are so fresh that almost no one can tell without deep dives into a cards prior scans. But we see time and time again you can just lop off giant chunks of old cards and eventually PSA will pass it.
This is how the hobby works. Card doctors alter cards. TPGs grade many of those cards, sometimes they're fooled, sometimes it's something else. And most auction houses will accept those cards even knowing the reputation of the consignor. Just how it is. Only law enforcement has a chance of making a dent. As the song from Evita goes, the money keeps rolling in.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-08-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:52 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
This is how the hobby works. Card doctors alter cards. TPGs grade many of those cards, sometimes they're fooled, sometimes it's something else. And most auction houses will accept those cards even knowing the reputation of the consignor. Just how it is. Only law enforcement has a chance of making a dent. As the song from Evita goes, the money keeps rolling in.
I agree, but I just wish that they would at least put in a little effort in making it less obvious. Treat it with some discretion. If you're going to scam people and commit fraud, at least don't be transparent about it. If you're posing as a competent authenticator, at least don't certify the really, really obvious and poorly executed frauds. Have some standards, you know?
Old 03-08-2023, 02:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I agree, but I just wish that they would at least put in a little effort in making it less obvious. Treat it with some discretion. If you're going to scam people and commit fraud, at least don't be transparent about it. If you're posing as a competent authenticator, at least don't certify the really, really obvious and poorly executed frauds. Have some standards, you know?
They're so emboldened because they know there's no consequence. So many of these people have become wealthy doing this.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-08-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:02 AM
James M.

It's terrible that there are zero consequences to this. Trimming has become so prevalent within the hobby. It's important for us to remain vigilant when it comes to purchasing, especially high graded vintage cards. I don't run into this too often, as most of the things I purchase are lower in grade, but it has an effect on the market. The higher the grade, the higher the prices, and thus the same card in worse condition ends up going up in price. But as long as the companies keep slabbing, and ebay/auction houses, allow it to happen, nothing will be done.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:39 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:

Of course that’s not the case. It would be foolish to treat them equally and it’s foolish to expect them to receive absolute equal treatment. It’s like the old Parcells saying that all players will be treated fairly doesn’t mean they’ll be treated equally. Same thing but with cards. Some are more important than others.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:05 PM
Jeremy W.

Once a card gets into a PSA, SGC, BVG, etc. holder, most don't give a damn. That's a well-known fact.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
Once a card gets into a PSA, SGC, BVG, etc. holder, most don't give a damn. That's a well-known fact.
Indeed. The cleansing effect of the flip and slab. So ironic given the original impetus behind TPG.

Old 03-10-2023, 05:46 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

56. Poppy Love
Ignoring what a card looks like and buying it only for the number on the slab.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post

SGC is aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And?

Old 03-14-2023, 10:12 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
And?
It hasn’t been deemed necessary or unnecessary, eventually action will or will not be taken. Hurry up and forget!
Old 03-14-2023, 10:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
It hasn’t been deemed necessary or unnecessary, eventually action will or will not be taken. Hurry up and forget!
^^this^^ plus didn't someone say it is now in a PSA slab so why would SGC care?
Old 03-14-2023, 10:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If I were more cynical I would think this response from SGC was disingenuous from the get go and they knew exactly where this card came from.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:22 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Exactly. Moving on, nothing to see here folks.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:56 AM
Chase

Quote:
If I were more cynical I would think this response from SGC was disingenuous from the get go and they knew exactly where this card came from.
Well it is SGCPete and all of his messages come off that way...to me anyway. Either way, SGCPete knows who they slabbed the card for. It is likely someone whose material they see very often.

Not that they were going to do anything about it but now for sure Dave is not buying it back. Zero obligation since Team Nat decided they wanted the card in their slab.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Well it is SGCPete and all of his messages come off that way...to me anyway. Either way, SGCPete knows who they slabbed the card for. It is likely someone whose material they see very often.

Not that they were going to do anything about it but now for sure Dave is not buying it back. Zero obligation since Team Nat decided they wanted the card in their slab.
Agreed. It is a small universe of people who would have hacked up that card.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
They wouldn't?
From what I understand Bill Mastro cut that card from an oversized football shape to the size of a normal T206 card, it measures correctly and might even be slightly larger than a normal T206 card, personally I would describe it as hand cut/sheet cut rather than trimmed.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:25 PM
Chase

Quote:
Agreed. It is a small universe of people who would have hacked up that card.
Even back in 2013 it reasons that it would have to have been someone who knew they could do it and not end up with a card in an Authentic slab.