NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2022, 04:18 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Default $15,000 to spend on 1-5 cards...WWYD?

I would like to invest $15,000 on a larger investment type cards(s). Would love to hear everyone's opinions on what they would seek out if it were up to them.

The fact of the matter is, I have a chunk of change I would like to park, and don't feel the best putting it in any financial instrument at the moment.

I respect everyone's opinions here and eager to hear what you would do? Card(s) you would lean towards?
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums

Last edited by anchorednw; 10-21-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:28 PM
Johnny MaZilli

This is a tough one to say. The number one rule would be at what discounted level you can purchase said card or cards in relation to their true value. Bidding in an auction would not work. A much better chance to accomplish my number one rule would have to be a private deal from a collector. I would stick with Regular Issue Highest Grade Nicest Centered one of these Players, Mantle, Ruth, Mays, Jackie, and Cobb. That’s my best advice.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
This is a tough one to say. The number one rule would be at what discounted level you can purchase said card or cards in relation to their true value. Bidding in an auction would not work. A much better chance to accomplish my number one rule would have to be a private deal from a collector. I would stick with Regular Issue Highest Grade Nicest Centered one of these Players, Mantle, Ruth, Mays, Jackie, and Cobb. That’s my best advice.
Personally, no rush and no special intent of how/where to purchase. First is to establish player, era, etc. The above-mentioned names are the usual suspects. Eager though to hear specifics people suggest based on their own bias and opinions.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
Personally, no rush and no special intent of how/where to purchase. First is to establish player, era, etc. The above-mentioned names are the usual suspects. Eager though to hear specifics people suggest based on their own bias and opinions.
You should also establish a time frame on when you want to sell it for profit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-21-2022, 05:11 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
You should also establish a time frame on when you want to sell it for profit.
I'm looking at a minimum of 5-7 years, up to 20 years at the most.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:07 PM
J@mes In.gram

If I had $15k to spend only on baseball card(s) I myself would buy:

1) 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #144, or

2) Complete set of 1958 Topps (1958 was a very good year for Topps cards, IMHO). Adjust for condition.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 10-21-2022, 05:11 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'd buy a tough regional of Willie May's. Briggs meat or the like.

The usual suspects are completely overpriced based on historical values. Supply will outpace demand IMO. If you wanted to buy something now, that's what I'd do. At least the supply is limited.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-21-2022, 05:36 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
The usual suspects are completely overpriced based on historical values. Supply will outpace demand IMO. If you wanted to buy something now, that's what I'd do. At least the supply is limited.
While I mostly agree with this statement I think, to Leon’s point, the “right one’s” have a much lower supply and will always have a market.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Pick your player(s) and set(s) first.,...

One idea,
Do the best you can with T206 Cobbs.... IF you buy them right, I think they are as blue chip as anything.
I bought one of these 3 yrs ago, and 2 of them 1 yr ago, and feel they have all appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb3.jpg (188.9 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg greencobb.jpg (183.6 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg t206cobb.jpg (188.9 KB, 414 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-21-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:21 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

One idea,
Do the best you can with T206 Cobbs.... IF you buy them right, I think they are as blue chip as anything.
I bought one of these 3 yrs ago, and 2 of them 1 yr ago, and feel they have all appreciated.
With my limited experience and knowledge, a Cobb T206 would probably be my first choice due to liquidity, popularity, and fit right in with my own T206 collection.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:04 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:

One idea,

Great centering and eye appeal on those Leon. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2022, 06:54 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:

One idea,
Extremely nice looking cards for the grades assigned!
Old 10-21-2022, 05:55 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I would go for a t3 Cobb as an investment personally. A very beautiful investment...

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 10-21-2022, 06:06 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Centered 1952 Topps Mays
Centered 1952 Topps Jackie
Another T206 Cobb Green Portrait

Old 10-21-2022, 06:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I would sell enough of my current collection to add to the $15,000 to get one of these.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14CJ Cobb 2.jpg (196.3 KB, 381 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-21-2022, 06:22 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
Centered 1952 Topps Mays
Centered 1952 Topps Jackie
Another T206 Cobb Green Portrait

I agree with these most likely in reverse order.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:47 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I agree with these most likely in reverse order.

I have a Green Cobb and want a 1952T Mays & Jackie but would not be upset with another Green Cobb.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
I would like to invest $15,000 on a larger investment type cards(s). Would love to hear everyone's opinions on what they would seek out if it were up to them.

The fact of the matter is, I have a chunk of change I would like to park, and don't feel the best putting it in any financial instrument at the moment.

I respect everyone's opinions here and eager to hear what you would do? Card(s) you would lean towards?
I would stay away from mainstream cards. They're not bad; they're beautiful. But, BUT, they're too bountiful. I would stick with immediate post-war regional / food issues. If it was me, and I had the 15 grand, I would go to EBAY or a major auction house, and check on a 1959 Bazooka Johnny Unitas. Or, a 1947-49 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson in at least a 5. Or, a 1954 Briggs Franks Mickey Mantle.

Friend, this is honest advice. I do not own any of them. However, as a regional / food collector, I would be instantly, intensely interested in all 3. You might only be able to buy 2 of them with your whole wad; however, I feel the upside is very substantial for all three. Right now, the Bazooka Unitas is ungraded, but looks MUCH BETTER THAN USUAL. It is also one of Johnny's most beautiful cards, period. The 1947-49 Bond Bread Jackie has slowly gained a considerable amount of respect among hobbyists. The issue has a fascinating background story, and nice examples are rare as hen's teeth.

Now, the NON-mainstream crowd is relatively few compared to mainstream. Still, mainstream is dime a dozen, but heavily in demand. There's a deep undercurrent of demand for the scarce and often rare regional / food issues. Some were ugly; forget about them. However, some are so beautiful to rank among the player's best and most desirable cards. The 1959 Bazooka Johnny Unitas is indeed a good example. Sure, if you don't care for football, forget about that one. There's plenty of tough desirable baseball cards around to such up that $15,000 you have, and then some. If you love hockey, just try hunting down a ROYAL DESSERTS GORDIE HOWE. Rots a ruck, guy. However, if you were able to track one down, the Gordie Howe guys ADORE THAT CARD!!!!!!!

WHAT EVER YOU DO, TAKE YOUR TIME DECIDING WHAT YOU REALLY LIKE AND WANT. Of course, I always did terrible buying cards that I thought would appreciate. Be that as it may, the cards I bought because I absolutely loved how they looked----THOSE TENDED TO BE THE ONES THAT IN A FEW DECADES BECAME WORTH MORE THAN WHAT I HAVE MADE OVER THE COURSE OF A WORKING YEAR, BELIEVE IT OR NOT. That was then; this is now. Hopefully, you'll find one, two, or three cards that command your attention, as well as the attention of some future collectors when it's time for you to sell. Sadly, this can be a cruel hobby that way. The player that's red-hot today can get a more than red-hot injury some day. That's why you must still with the Babe, Cobb, Gehrig, Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, a rare beautiful Michael Jordan or better, Wilt Chamberlain, the Mick, etc.

I probably rattled on too much---sorry about that, Chief.

For the most part, time is on your side. You might want to wait and see what the economy is going to do. A very bad recession will knock the wind out of most all collectibles. You might need that dough for something essential. Just sayin'.

Until then, be patient, prudent, and picky. I wish you the very best. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-22-2022 at 03:49 PM.