NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default What You Don’t Know About The Hobby Could Fill This Thread

There must be something you don’t know about the hobby.

Ask a question about the hobby to learn the answer.

Feel free to educate us with the answer or simply ask another question.

Who was the first collector/dealer to use the term “beater” referring to a well-loved vintage card?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It has to be one of the OBC guys who invented the term Beater.

Who was the first collector to complete T206 (with Doyle and Magie but no other errors)?

Last edited by Leon; 11-15-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Why is the quality of the cardboard more important than the quality of the image on a vintage card? Probably more of a rhetorical question as I am guessing it's because cardboard damage can be quantified while image quality is more subjective.

Rob M
Old 11-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Mac Wubben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It has to be one of the OBC guys who invented the term Beater.

We actually call them Tiptons or Tipton Mint...after founding member and net54'er Larry Tipton (aka Guru). So I don't think we get credit for "beater".
Old 11-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Al Richter

How do you know the definitive checklist of a "master" set ?

How do you know if a card has a "real" variation ?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM
David Kathman

I'm not positive, but I think we called cards "beaters" when I was a kid, 35-40 years ago. I don't remember ever not being aware of the term.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Kyle May

Why haven't there been adjustments in the variety of supplies as collecting has changed? i.e. More commonly available graded card pages, especially for SGC slabs, or pages that allow for tobacco-sized toploaders.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 11-15-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Pete Sycks

Do you cringe when people would rather have an Aaron Judge blue refractor numbered out of 50 than a '52 Topps Mantle?

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
or pages that allow for tobacco-sized toploaders.
These fit them perfectly. You're welcome ☺️
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IP...bPL&ref=plSrch

Last edited by conor912; 11-15-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Why haven't there been adjustments in the variety of supplies as collecting has changed? i.e. More commonly available graded card pages, especially for SGC slabs, or pages that allow for tobacco-sized toploaders.
The available supplies change, it just changes slowly. Lack of demand probably limits the pages for slabbed cards and pages for tobacco size toploaders. That some of the current stuff will work for most people also makes it a tough call to manufacture something new. Tobacco toploaders will fit in current 9 pocket pages, so making a special page might not be profitable.
They might get some traction if the A+G and Gypsy Queen minis get hot, but that's a few years away.

In the old days there were lots of choices for pages, many of them long gone. Sideloading 8 pockets? sideloading 9 pockets, 15 pocket, 12 pocket sized for 48-50 Bowmans....I haven't seen any of those in a few years, for the better in some instances.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

And for my "I don't know"

I don't know why so many modern ish sets with limited availability get so little attention. I sort of get the "less common than the usual cards" sets being ignored, but the others?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

How can we improve the condition evaluation given on graded cards? A costly problem.

Quality is what determines the value of a baseball card. Yet we often see graded cards poorly graded. Over the past ten years for the rare coin hobby this situation has been corrected by the Certified Acceptance Corporation who will verify graded coins to meet their own strict quality standards. Only if the coin is solid for the grade will it receives a CAC sticker affixed to the slab. Solid meaning for that grade or higher-end - lower-end although still in grade are rejected. In the marketplace CAC coins sell for significantly higher prices than the same grade without CAC.
Perhaps some enterprising individual or group will follow a like business for this hobby.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Why

Why is there so little information about the origin and distribution and reasons for producing so many sets? We are talking about events that occurred within the last 150 years or less, not thousands of years ago before writing. Is it just that the early collectors focused more on checklisting a set, and less about these other details? Or were most sets so poorly marketed and with so little contemporary awareness that they couldn’t figure it out?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Hank Thomas

Great thread, I have two questions (for now.)

1) Who came up with a system whereby the difference between a 6 and a 7 can only be detected with an electron microscope whereas a 1 grade can be anything from a gorgeous card with severely rounded corners or minor paper loss on the back to a card that has been thrown into a puddle of diesel oil and run over several times by a tank? Did that come from coin grading?

2) Does the condition of the slab ever affect the desirability of the card? If so, how common is re-slabbing to get the card back into a pristine slab?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Do you cringe when people would rather have an Aaron Judge blue refractor numbered out of 50 than a '52 Topps Mantle?
No.

I respect that some divisions of the hobby collect modern cards, having an emotional connection to those players, while others collect vintage and established players having an emotional connection to those players.

Cringing at one party or the other seems rather judgmental to me.

You're both card collectors, how about if someone cringes because you are a card collector of any type? That wouldn't make you feel too good, would it?
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
How about if someone cringes because you are a card collector of any type? That wouldn't make you feel too good, would it?
That happens to me all over the place, of course, from non-collectors.

When I happen to sell something at an auction that gets a few bucks, and I forward some buddies a link, it seems to get their attention. Of course, everyone can relate to the dollars, so it is an equalizing factor that non collectors can relate to.

The funniest looks were about a year ago. I had a card in a well known auction, and I had a buddy on my hockey team put his 1969 Camaro into Barrett-Jackson. I mentioned the competition between what would bring home a higher dollar, the Camaro or the Dimaggio.

In the end, the Camaro won, but not by much. It made some buddies think twice about my silly hobby.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Who was the first collector to complete T206 (with Doyle and Magie but no other errors)?
It must be Larry Fritsh. He discovered the first Doyle variation, and he owned a Wagner and Plank.

Last edited by Sean; 11-15-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:48 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Has anyone ever completed T210? How far has anyone ever gotten with N172 Old Judge?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Bry@n

Now this is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
We actually call them Tiptons or Tipton Mint...after founding member and net54'er Larry Tipton (aka Guru). So I don't think we get credit for "beater".
Old 11-15-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
Why is there so little information about the origin and distribution and reasons for producing so many sets? We are talking about events that occurred within the last 150 years or less, not thousands of years ago before writing. Is it just that the early collectors focused more on checklisting a set, and less about these other details? Or were most sets so poorly marketed and with so little contemporary awareness that they couldn’t figure it out?
I'm going to take a guess on this one. My guess is: these are free give-aways meant as children's toys, and hence not something that anyone took seriously or bothered to keep records of. Once the guy from the marketing department who decided to put the set out buys the farm, that knowledge is lost because no one thought it was worth writing down.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Great thread, I have two questions (for now.)

1) Who came up with a system whereby the difference between a 6 and a 7 can only be detected with an electron microscope whereas a 1 grade can be anything from a gorgeous card with severely rounded corners or minor paper loss on the back to a card that has been thrown into a puddle of diesel oil and run over several times by a tank? Did that come from coin grading?

2) Does the condition of the slab ever affect the desirability of the card? If so, how common is re-slabbing to get the card back into a pristine slab?
I can answer yes to 2. I had a Jordan star card I got destroyed on bc of a small slab crack. It puts off a lot of bidders.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
How do you know the definitive checklist of a "master" set ?

How do you know if a card has a "real" variation ?
Al, I don't think either of those questions can be answered correctly.

I am pretty sure I could easily fill a thread with my hobby knowledge. Also pretty sure a few forums could be filled with what I don't know about the hobby.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Tony Quinn

At what point did the advertising on the back of a card become more desirable than the photo on the front?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Picture Packs. Who made the ones that weren't team issues? How were they sold?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Serious question - Why do so many collectors/dealers not like the PSA SMR price guide and for that matter Becketts guides?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Serious question - Why do so many collectors/dealers not like the PSA SMR price guide and for that matter Becketts guides?

Fake news.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
How can we improve the condition evaluation given on graded cards? A costly problem.

Quality is what determines the value of a baseball card. Yet we often see graded cards poorly graded. Over the past ten years for the rare coin hobby this situation has been corrected by the Certified Acceptance Corporation who will verify graded coins to meet their own strict quality standards. Only if the coin is solid for the grade will it receives a CAC sticker affixed to the slab. Solid meaning for that grade or higher-end - lower-end although still in grade are rejected. In the marketplace CAC coins sell for significantly higher prices than the same grade without CAC.
Perhaps some enterprising individual or group will follow a like business for this hobby.
So you want to pay for grading of already graded cards? Where does it end?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
how can we improve the condition evaluation given on graded cards? A costly problem.

Quality is what determines the value of a baseball card. Yet we often see graded cards poorly graded. Over the past ten years for the rare coin hobby this situation has been corrected by the certified acceptance corporation who will verify graded coins to meet their own strict quality standards. Only if the coin is solid for the grade will it receives a cac sticker affixed to the slab. Solid meaning for that grade or higher-end - lower-end although still in grade are rejected. In the marketplace cac coins sell for significantly higher prices than the same grade without cac.
he

pwcc

b & b

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
Has anyone ever completed T210? How far has anyone ever gotten with N172 Old Judge?
Bill Haber had a complete set of T210s. If Paul Pollard didn't have a complete set, he was mighty close.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Why is a card that is only 'worth' $10 suddenly worth hundreds of dollars more when it is placed inside a plastic tomb with a high number by a third party grader??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 AM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Why is a card that is only 'worth' $10 suddenly worth hundreds of dollars more when it is placed inside a plastic tomb with a high number by a third party grader??
Because someone is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a card worth $10 in a plastic tomb.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Because someone. ELSE is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a card worth $10 in a plastic tomb.
Edited!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Because someone is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a card worth $10 in a plastic tomb.
Yeah, but why? Why does that case become more valuable than the card?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:21 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Edited!
another great contribution to net54...and pure conjecture......oh and nice card..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-16-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
I have never seen any proof or statements from fellow collectors of a complete T210 set. There is a gentleman on the SGC registry that has a "retired" near complete set. Perhaps he had the missing cards not listed in raw form?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Al Richter

Competition
Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 PM

been trying to find out who created 9 card protector sheets and when they hit the industry!

www.athcards.com
Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I have never seen any proof or statements from fellow collectors of a complete T210 set. There is a gentleman on the SGC registry that has a "retired" near complete set. Perhaps he had the missing cards not listed in raw form?
Bill Haber definitely completed the set and, AFAIK, it is still together in a very advanced collection.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 11-16-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Why are so many trimmed/altered cards being graded with high grades?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:05 AM

Default Previous board member Ralph from NH had a complete T210 set

Ralph from NH, who I met once told me he had but sold his complete T210 set.

Patrick
Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

When will the term vintage cards be replaced by awesome cards?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:23 AM
Marc S.

What does a "complete" Zeenut checklist look like?

There are way too many cards that are believed to exist, or may have once existed but no longer do - cards that were erroneously included in the checklist. How I'd love to have more clarity on the full extent of that 25+ year run of PCL cards
Old 11-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
At the root of it? Dickholes lie.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 11-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Bill Haber definitely completed the set and, AFAIK, it is still together in a very advanced collection.
Thank you for sharing that information. It would be cool to see that set scanned and displayed one day maybe.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post

Patrick
I have read some of his archived posts and he seems like a passionate T210 collector. The Red Border Breakdown thread is one of my favorites.

Last edited by Jason; 11-17-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post

Patrick
This begs the question,

How many Ralphs are from New Hampshire?

or

Is Ralph from NH the only Ralph from NH that knows what a T210 is?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Paul S

Where did the term "slabbed" come from?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by czg123 View Post
been trying to find out who created 9 card protector sheets and when they hit the industry!

www.athcards.com
The first ones I saw were in an album kit sold at retail. I got mine in 1974, but I'm pretty sure they were available slightly earlier.

I can't find pics on the web, so I'll have to take some when I find mine. I still have the pages too, so I'll be able to post the manufacturer.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:55 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Were T205's part of a larger set? What was the other "Subjects" they refer to?

I do believe they were part of the Bird and Military Card group. IMO

Member since 2009
Old 11-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Arthur R!ch

How were W575-2 and W502 released? They ain't strip cards.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx