NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2016, 02:38 PM

Why isn't anyone scolding Hank Aaron for his absurd, showboating trot after he hit 715? Or how about when McGwire broke Maris' record and hugged his family? Don't these people have class. Or what about that ridiculous trot Ripken took around the field when he broke Gehrig's record? Enough already, prima donna, we're playing a game here!

The point I'm trying to make is that in my opinion it's perfectly fine to celebrate a moment worth celebrating and it's usually easy to tell when those moments happen. If you can't celebrate those moments, what can you celebrate? There should be some wiggle room and I agree no one wants to see baseball devolve into football, but a little fun never hurt anyone either.

Last edited by packs; 03-14-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM
qu@n nguy3n

this new guy and his showboating disrespecting the game...he's no joe dimaggio that's for sure. i don't know if he's gonna work out.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

The NBA is the worst. Every free throw, even the missed ones. Ridiculous.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Not much showboating in the NHL, but then again, you can't knock someone's teeth out and get just a five minute timeout in the other sports.

The "look-at-me" generation takes their cue from ESPN.

Personally, I don't understand why a basketball team doesn't take advantage of the 5 on 4 while Slamakahn Dunker is mugging for the camera.

If you want to stop the WR from gesturing 1st Down, stop him short of the marker. Want Cam to stop doing the Dab, keep him out of the endzone (see Denver).

Reggie Jackson hotdogged it. He sat a few times, too.

I miss the days when baseball used to be able to police itself. Too many ESPN-primadonnas feel that they progress their manhood and have to rush the mound or pop off when they get old-schooled. Bring back Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale and Willie Mays. And there was fun, too. Willie Montenez and Tito Fuentes certainly cut the pie.

Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Paul Goldschmidt and Mike Trout certainly show(ed) that you can still play the game and can be exuberant without taking it over the top.

But that's just MOO (my opinion only) and YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Blog: www.justcollect.com/blog
email: scotta@justcollect.com
Old 03-14-2016, 03:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The bat flip has one purpose - to show up the pitcher/opposing team. It's rude and arrogant. I honestly see no difference between the bat flip or if Bautista had shot the finger at the pitcher/opposing bench. It sends the same message.

Celebrating? There's a difference between celebrating the moment and showing up the other team. The bat flip is meant to show up the other team. Kirk Gibson didn't flip his bat, he celebrated by pumping his arm a few times. Big difference.

It's a matter of class vs. ass. Gibson had class and Batista is definitely an ass.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:59 PM

So Fisk waving his homer fair: class or ass?

Last edited by packs; 03-14-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
So Fisk waving his homer fair: class or ass?

Was it meant to show up the other pitcher or team?
Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
this new guy and his showboating disrespecting the game...he's no joe dimaggio that's for sure. i don't know if he's gonna work out.

What exactly does this video show, do you know? I can't find the full video anywhere. Because to me, it looks like Mantle hit a fly ball easy-out and is pissed at himself, no?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
What exactly does this video show, do you know? I can't find the full video anywhere. Because to me, it looks like Mantle hit a fly ball easy-out and is pissed at himself, no?
I agree. That doesn't look anything like a celebration. Reminded me of Bo breaking the bat over his head.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-14-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I think the joke was that Mantle wouldn't be as good as DiMaggio, which was a common stance for those who saw Joltin' Joe play.

As for the bat toss, it looks to me like Mick meant to do something other than the clumsy flip that almost came back to smack him in the eye.

I "got" the joke almost immediately. Then again, I posted something a few hours ago that I also thought was funny. Perhaps my sense of humor is off.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The bat flip has one purpose - to show up the pitcher/opposing team. It's rude and arrogant. I honestly see no difference between the bat flip or if Bautista had shot the finger at the pitcher/opposing bench. It sends the same message.

Celebrating? There's a difference between celebrating the moment and showing up the other team. The bat flip is meant to show up the other team. Kirk Gibson didn't flip his bat, he celebrated by pumping his arm a few times. Big difference.

It's a matter of class vs. ass. Gibson had class and Batista is definitely an ass.
My take is that if the result of the AB had been a strikeout rather than a HR and the pitcher would have "holstered his six shooter," Bautista would have taken a dim view of it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-14-2016, 05:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I think the joke was that Mantle wouldn't be as good as DiMaggio, which was a common stance for those who saw Joltin' Joe play.

As for the bat toss, it looks to me like Mick meant to do something other than the clumsy flip that almost came back to smack him in the eye.

I "got" the joke almost immediately. Then again, I posted something a few hours ago that I also thought was funny. Perhaps my sense of humor is off.
Obviously, I got the joke. But beyond that I was wondering what actually took place during that AB, because it sure doesn't look celebratory.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:37 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Harper is the face of the game and has been the future face of the game...
Well your future face of the game proves once again he is a classless douche bag...

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news...ong-jcole-gmod
Old 04-14-2016, 11:48 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The NBA is the worst. Every free throw, even the missed ones. Ridiculous.
NBA yest but NFL.................... again I can't fathom how anyone can stand that league.

Those guys break out in cheerleader moves after scoring.

Quote:
Well your future face of the game proves once again he is a classless douche bag...

Dave what'd I miss????
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 04-14-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Dave what'd I miss????
His walk up song is titled "G.O.M.D." which is an acronym for Get Off My D***

There is your future face of baseball
Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Garth Guibord

Dale Murphy, via Joe Posnanski, has a pretty good take on differences between how the game was and how it is now. Really good common sense approach...

“I think baseball now is just great,” Murphy says. “I love it. I think what Bryce Harper is saying is: Let us be who we are. They don’t all have to play like Harper, and they won’t. Mike Trout plays the game a lot more like I did, I think, a lot more like the way Mike Schmidt plays. You know, quieter. And Bryce Harper plays with flair. Kids want to express themselves. I get it. We didn’t do some of this stuff, but you know what? Our time was our time. It’s their time now.”

The whole story is well worth the read:
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/dal...rper-bat-flip/
Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:

That's not too bad. Mickey Mantle once told my aunt Rose something similar at the Cocacabana's coat check room. Not exactly the same. One word. But close enough.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Dale Murphy, via Joe Posnanski, has a pretty good take on differences between how the game was and how it is now. Really good common sense approach...

“I think baseball now is just great,” Murphy says. “I love it. I think what Bryce Harper is saying is: Let us be who we are. They don’t all have to play like Harper, and they won’t. Mike Trout plays the game a lot more like I did, I think, a lot more like the way Mike Schmidt plays. You know, quieter. And Bryce Harper plays with flair. Kids want to express themselves. I get it. We didn’t do some of this stuff, but you know what? Our time was our time. It’s their time now.”

The whole story is well worth the read:
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/dal...rper-bat-flip/
Willie Mays played with flair too. That explanation does not impress me.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:11 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
His walk up song is titled "G.O.M.D." which is an acronym for Get Off My D***

There is your future face of baseball

I see. ................. Surprised that a Stadium/Franchise would allow that to be played at all.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-14-2016, 12:13 PM

Who even cares. I don't know what your impression of young people is, but there are a lot of people who do way worse things than play a snide walk up song. That doesn't make you a douche bag or a terrible person.

Last edited by packs; 04-14-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:35 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Who even cares. I don't know what your impression of young people is, but there are a lot of people who do way worse things than play a snide walk up song. That doesn't make you a douche bag or a terrible person.
Wow, you didn't just tweak your post a little bit, you changed the entire content. Let me answer the questions you asked before your edit...

Quote:
Are you suggesting Harper isn't the biggest star in the game? And that he isn't the face of baseball's future? If you're trying to say you think what he did was dopey, that has nothing to do with his status in baseball. You could just say that instead.
Whether or not he is the biggest star in the game and the face of baseball's future is really a matter of opinion. You have yours, I have mine. We're not going to change each others minds. But let me ask you a question. If you believe Harper is the face of baseball's future, is this the kind of guy you want representing baseball?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:38 PM

Yes I would love for people who have personal tastes in music to represent baseball. I would also love for reporters to stop writing click-bait articles about walk up music and what it all means.

I haven't seen a whole lot of press on hector Olivera. But here's an article on walk up music.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:49 PM
qu@n nguy3n

someone please put a ball between his eyes and end his career already, that walk up song is not appropriate for baseball OMG.

i want my baseball playing men to own big assault rifles, hunt deers, pull their kids out of school to hang out at the park all day, and break up SE asian prostitution rings during the off-season.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Absolutely agree. I think too many people in this world are too quick to judge others and are unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc.

And it amazes me that some people on this board resort to name calling and derogatory comments.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:53 PM

I wouldn't dig too deep into Derek Jeter's walk up music. There are lots of naughty words and suggestive themes in most of them. In fact, if you decided to remove every song that either contained bad language or was performed by someone who had done something in their past, everyone would be walking up to happy birthday.

Last edited by packs; 04-14-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Great lyrics.

"G.O.M.D."

Hollywood Cole
Go
Ay Hollywood
Hollywood Cole
Go

You wanna know just where I'm at
Well let me tell you 'bout it
I put my city on the map
But let me tell you 'bout it
They tryna say I can't come back
Ay let me tell you 'bout it
Man fuck them niggas I come back
Ay let me tell you 'bout it
I wanna tell you 'bout it
Hands up, everybody run
Cole outside and he say he got a gun
Niggas like "man that's what everybody say"
Go and pop the trunk and everybody dead
Everybody scared of the nigga
Aware that the nigga is better
All my bitches the pick of the litter
Never bitter
Niggas is faker than anime
Me I never hate, get cake like Anna Mae, woah
Eat the cake bitch, eat the damn cake
Fuck good nigga we demand great
Order Domino's and she take off all her clothes
Nigga you know how it goes, make the pizza man wait
The best kept secret
Even hoes try and keep it and I leak the damn tape
Rest in peace any nigga want beef
Even secret service couldn't keep the man safe

[Pre-Hook:]
I said to the window, to the wall
My nigga ride when I call
Got bitches all in my mind
Fuck nigga blocking my shine
I know the reason you feel the way
I know just who you wan' be
So everyday I thank the man upstairs
That I ain't you and you ain't me

[Hook:]
Get off my dick, woah
(Get the fuck off my dick)
Get off my dick, woah
(Get the fuck off my dick nigga)
Get off my dick, bitch, woah
(Get the fuck off my dick)
Get off my dick, woah

Man fuck them niggas I come home and I don't tell nobody
They gettin' temporary dough and I don't tell nobody
Lord will you tell me if I changed, I won't tell nobody
I wanna go back to Jermaine, and I won't tell nobody
This is the part that the thugs skip
Young nigga never had love
You know, foot massage, back rub shit
Blowing bubbles in the bathtub shit
That is until I met you
Together we done watch years go by
Seen a river of your tears go by
Got me thinkin' bout some kids, still I
Tell them hoes come through
(The break up)
Get to know somebody and you really learn a lot about 'em
Won't be long for you, start to doubt 'em
Tell yourself you better off without 'em
Then in time you will find can't walk without 'em
Can't talk without 'em, can't breath without 'em
Came here together, you can't leave without 'em
So you walk back in, make a scene about 'em
On your Amerie it's just 1 thing about 'em
It's called love
Niggas don't sing about it no more
Don't nobody sing about it no more
No more, no more
It's called love
Niggas don't sing about it no more
Don't nobody sing about it no more
(Nigga I don't sing about this shit no more)
But there a nigga in the club singing

[Pre-Hook]

Get off my dick
But every nigga in the club singing
Singing this song yeah
Got all the bitches in the club singing
Singing this song yeah
And all they mamas let their kids sing it
Sing this song yeah
The baby mamas and the mistresses
Singing this song yeah
Song yeah, song song yeah

(The make up)
This shit is retarded
Why every rich black nigga gotta be famous
Why every broke black nigga gotta be brainless
That's a stereotype
Driven by some people up in Ariel Heights
Here's a scenario
Young Cole pockets is fat like little Terrio
Dreamville, give us a year we'll be on every show
Yeah fuck nigga I'm very sure
Fuck the rest I'm the best nigga out
When I'm back home I'm the best in the South
When I'm in LA I'm the best in the West
You can test, you can test, I'm a stretch niggas out
Oooh I'm a stretch niggas out
That go for all y'all if I left niggas out
This shit for everbody on my testicle
Please make sure you put the rest in your mouth, hoe
Old 04-14-2016, 12:57 PM

Do you honestly think other players don't listen to J-Cole? Is there a difference between the guy who plays the edited track at the ballpark and the guy who listens to the full version in his car? Who cares man. What is it you're insinuating? That Harper is a bad person because he likes certain songs?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Just looks like a new adaptation of "Everybody's Tryin' to Be My Baby" by Carl Perkins (made more famous by The Beatles). It's a shame to see so-called artists being so shamelessly derivative.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's sad that anyone is writing, producing, or listening to this vile misogynistic trash, or are you telling me it's all tongue in cheek or something?

All my bitches the pick of the litter indeed.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Jason Albregts

I'm OK with the showboating, as long as the showboater is OK with the next pitch he sees buzzing right past his ear.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I think too many people in this world are too quick to judge others and are unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc.
Funny, but if I used the same words in the lyrics of that song on this message board or in most other places, I would be accused of exactly what you're saying - unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc. - especially the "n" word that's used 25 times (if I counted correctly).

But if I don't like the lyrics, you accuse me of the same thing?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Garth Guibord

More great lyrics, courtesy of Derek Jeter walk up songs...

http://mlbfancave.mlb.com/fancave/bl...nt_id=96403662

(Lets just do excerpts)

Puff Daddy's "Come With Me":
Fuck my enemies
Fuck my foes
Damn these hoes
You're stepping on my toes
Back up off me
Take your hands off me
Give me room to breathe
I'm not hearing it
I'm not fearing it
I'm up to my ears in it
Bullshit I'm destructive
Some women find that seductive
Some say it's lunacy
Reluctantly I've been moving on
I ignore you
Sorry if I bore you
I neglect you
Don't mean to disrespect you
Can't you see
I love you dearly
And that sincerely
But you annoy me
You can't avoid me
I'm here to stay
Forever and ever and a day
That's never
I can't let you go
I can't forget it
Why you did it
I won't permit it
And won't acquit it
I want to fight you
I'll fucking bite you
Can't stand nobody like you
You can't run
You can't hide
No surprise
Close your eyes

50 Cent's "Outta Control":
System thumpin', dance floor jumpin'
We thirty deep in this bitch, we stuntin'
Thats what you get, you in my hood
I thought you understood
You know me, VIP, no ID
Bottles in DP, I do it real BIG
Bitches break their necks to be where
I be
Take 'em to ecstacy without ecstacy
I'm the chef, you need a hit, I got the recipe
Doc got the antedote and send the drugs in the nose
Can you feel it, Em said for me to make ya feel it
And remind you that you rockin' with the realest

Notorious B.I.G's "Hypnotize"
At last, a nigga rappin bout blunts and broads
Tits and bras, ménage à trois, sex in expensive cars
I still leave you on the pavement
Condo paid for, no car payment
At my arraignment, note for the plantiff
Your daughter's tied up in a Brooklyn basement (shh)

This could go on, but this isn't a Bryce Harper issue, this is a larger issue. But considering that the Yankees PR team tweeted out Jeter's songs, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue at all.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Funny, but if I used the same words in the lyrics of that song on this message board or in most other places, I would be accused of exactly what you're saying - unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc. - especially the "n" word that's used 25 times (if I counted correctly).

But if I don't like the lyrics, you accuse me of the same thing?

Did you see what I was quoting in my post? I was referencing the content of that quote only, not a specific song.

This certainly seems familiar to me, considering you either purposefully took a statistic out of context or didn't read the web page in its entirety in another thread here:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...69#post1527169
Old 04-14-2016, 01:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Did you see what I was quoting in my post? I was referencing the content of that quote only, not a specific song.

This certainly seems familiar to me, considering you either purposefully took a statistic out of context or didn't read the web page in its entirety in another thread here:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...69#post1527169
No, I didn't take your statistics out of context. My statistics were flawed, I will admit that. I was actually looking at data from 2000/01 when the chargeback rate was at 3.5%. It has declined significantly over the last 15 years or so.

Now, to address the bigger issue. I don't know if you have a personal beef with me or not, or if you have nothing better to do, but let's take this to a PM and get it resolved.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 04-14-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'm disappointed in the number of people who would rather see players commit actual acts of violence against each other than allow for the expression of anything they deem showboating, but then I tend to be disappointed in my species more often than not. Carry on.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Bill Gregory

I think Trout is the future face of baseball, if he's not already. Harper is the bad boy. If the Nats and Angels both become great teams, it will make for an interesting baseball rivalry.

I'm not a fan of Harper's walk up music, though. Doesn't make him a bad person, but it is disappointing that somebody in a position to influence kids would choose to send that message.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 PM

If you listen to people's walk up music you will find that many people use similar walk up music all the time. It's just not pointed out to you. As was posted, take a look at Jeter's music choices. In my opinion, those choices say nothing about the person as an individual.

Last edited by packs; 04-14-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If you listen to people's walk up music you will find that many people use similar walk up music all the time. It's just not pointed out to you. As was posted, take a look at Jeter's music choices. In my opinion, those choices say nothing about the person as an individual. Everyone likes music they like. It rarely says anything about the person on a human level.
Aren't the lyrics part of what one likes, if one likes music? So I can like songs depicting women as bitches and hoes but that says nothing about me?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM

Do you listen to the Beatles? Are you aware of how John Lennon treated women in his lifetime? If you like the Beatles, does that mean you support that kind of thing? Or is there something in the music that you like?

They play that song Rock N Roll by Gary Glitter at a lot of sporting events. You know where Gary Glitter is now, right?

Last edited by packs; 04-14-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Do you listen to the Beatles? Are you aware of how John Lennon treated women in his lifetime? If you like the Beatles, does that mean you support that kind of thing? Or is there something in the music that you like?

They play that song Rock N Roll by Gary Glitter at a lot of sporting events. You know where Gary Glitter is now, right?
Not persuasive. Here, the lyrics are part of the song.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM

Yeah, but not everyone likes a song because of the lyrics. And liking a song says nothing about who you are. It might say something about your taste in music, but if you're suggesting everyone can be judged on their playlist I think that's a strange thing to say.

Last edited by packs; 04-14-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:53 PM
David $tephens

I follow the Nats and I believe Bryce Harper is an amazing player but I would trade him for Trout in a heartbeat. We all have different opinions on his kind of stuff and I certainly won't condemn any of that. I'm in my early 30s but tend to be an old souls with more traditionalist values when it comes to my sports. Walk up music is silly to me, this isn't Wrasslin!! I want to hear the organ played and the sounds that the crowd makes at important parts of the game. I'm just old school like that.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A little lame to start dissecting someone's walk up music and proof of their character. Kids today listen to music that shocks their parents with bad words. And guess what. Their parents listened to music with words that shocked their parents. And their grandparents listened to Elvis and we all know how evil and subversive that guy was.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
A little lame to start dissecting someone's walk up music and proof of their character. Kids today listen to music that shocks their parents with bad words. And guess what. Their parents listened to music with words that shocked their parents. And their grandparents listened to Elvis and we all know how evil and subversive that guy was.
There is a world of difference IMO between some sexual suggestiveness and blatant misogyny, sorry.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Steven Finley

Next time I see you guys playing checkers outside the Cracker Barrel make sure to say hi.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yeah, but not everyone likes a song because of the lyrics. And liking a song says nothing about who you are. It might say something about your taste in music, but if you're suggesting everyone can be judged on their playlist I think that's a strange thing to say.
And I think it's strange to suggest that someone's preferences in music say nothing about them.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
There is a world of difference IMO between some sexual suggestiveness and blatant misogyny, sorry.
Agreed. But the prior comment about The Beatles is still germane. Song lyrics that threaten homicide against a woman (or rather "little girl") out of sexual jealousy are at least as misogynistic as lyrics that objectify women as in Harper's walk-up song.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 04-14-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
And I think it's strange to suggest that someone's preferences in music say nothing about them.
Sure it is. There has actually been a lot of studies on this that proves that the music one listens to can define their character and personality.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM

Yeah right. I guess that goes for television shows and movies too right? Why even get to know a person on a human level when you can just check their playlist and DVR?

Last edited by packs; 04-14-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Agreed. But the prior comment about The Beatles is still germane. Song lyrics that threaten homicide against a woman (or rather "little girl") out of sexual jealousy are at least as misogynistic as lyrics that objectify women as in Harper's walk-up song.
Calling someone a little girl in the context of the 60s is not the same, to me, as calling someone a bitch or ho today when it is universally understood that such terms are degrading. It's intentional.

We can be PC and cool and say oh it's all relative and it's just the times etc. but I strongly disagree.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-14-2016 at 02:34 PM.