NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Chris

Default Crazy Idea...

I know there are several collectors out there who collect certain back stamps (ex. Lloyd Bolton, Howe McCormick, Big Purple numbers, etc.). I was thinking why a current collector doesn't do the same?; Stamp or mark each card in their collection in a unique way. No doubt it would diminish the value today, but they might be comforted by the fact that some collector not yet born might hunt down "their" collection someday.

What do you think? Is this a neat idea, or blasphemy and deprecation?

Last edited by usernamealreadytaken; 07-03-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Jason Wells

I think its an interesting idea.I mean no need to mark up good cards but maybe buy a beater set and stamp that one.Its a good way to be around T206 collecting long after your gone.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Justin Cur.ze

Any card worth its weight is going to be graded anyhow. I say, get a little "branding iron" and brand the lower back left / right of the slab. That way you accomplish both - marking your sets and not marring the card.

Cool idea!
Old 07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle20 View Post
Any card worth its weight is going to be graded anyhow. I say, get a little "branding iron" and brand the lower back left / right of the slab. That way you accomplish both - marking your sets and not marring the card.

Cool idea!
That is pedigree slabs: Harris, Lionel Carter, etc.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
That is pedigree slabs: Harris, Lionel Carter, etc.
I like the idea of pedigreeing the slabs more than marking the cards. Good call.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
David Str@@te

I definitely think various backstamps just add to the interest of vintage cards. The pedigree stamps are not necessarily permanent, and as such, not the same thing. You'd have to be a collector who doesn't care a great deal about the bottom line. Those are few and far between.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle20 View Post
Any card worth its weight is going to be graded anyhow.
I respectfully disagree, I have ~4,000 pre WWII sports cards and ~1500 pre-1930 Nonsports cards and only a hundred or two are actually graded (and that is because I bought them that way). Nothing wrong with grading cards, I prefer to buy more cards with the money but to each his own but to think that any card "worth its weight" is graded is wrong.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Justin Cur.ze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I respectfully disagree, I have ~4,000 pre WWII sports cards and ~1500 pre-1930 Nonsports cards and only a hundred or two are actually graded (and that is because I bought them that way). Nothing wrong with grading cards, I prefer to buy more cards with the money but to each his own but to think that any card "worth its weight" is graded is wrong.
I guess I should have clarified. Username's orig. post was about people tracking down collections of what I would consider "legendary" collections (in other words, collections that have a name for themselves) and in my mind, that means cards of significant value (5K apiece, at least). For example, I'm not talking about going out and branding my PSA4 average Leaf set...no one would care unless I became President or something. My set's not worthy of branding. That's what I meant that any card worth it's weight would be graded (in context of the branding argument). Few legendary collectors spend five or six figures on a raw card. There's just too much risk for both buyer AND seller.

Case in point - Look at this data of historical sales: http://www.t206museum.com/page/ne_auct.html ... how many single card auctions wins above 5K do you see with unslabbed cards?

Last edited by grundle20; 07-03-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Chris

Default Clarify

I am envisioning the guy who has 100 common T206 cards in poor-fair condition who stamps them with his name and maybe the date and sells them off. Again, halves their value at once but in a hundred years there is a collector(s) who hunts them down vigorously (i.e. like Howe McCormick).