NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Default The National

I am going to the National this year for the first time. (only going on August 7 per my schedule)

Any advice out there for a newbie to the National scene?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
I am going to the National this year for the first time. (only going on August 7 per my schedule)

Any advice out there for a newbie to the National scene?
Wear good walking shoes.
Bring cash.
With only 1 day don't spend too long at each table.
Eat before you go into the Convention Center.
Always ask what the bottom, best price is on EVERY card you buy.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Wear good walking shoes.
Bring cash.
With only 1 day don't spend too long at each table.
Eat before you go into the Convention Center.
Always ask what the bottom, best price is on EVERY card you buy.

Good tips Leon, I would only add- bring a pen and paper to write down cards and table numbers. You think you can remember what was where but unless you are Carnak, you won't be able to remember them all. More than once I have been ticked because I couldn't remember which table that T207 Cycle back was at or that E98 blue Coombs, etc. ......
Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Good tips Leon, I would only add- bring a pen and paper to write down cards and table numbers. You think you can remember what was where but unless you are Carnak, you won't be able to remember them all. More than once I have been ticked because I couldn't remember which table that T207 Cycle back was at or that E98 blue Coombs, etc. ......
Good point Bob....I spent hours going back to find this card, about 10 yrs ago....as BCD told me it was a good buy.....and I had forgotten the table number completely. I got it for $200.....and even though it has a spooned out crease (not from me) it presents nicely.....

Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Question for the National pros. Is there any chance of seeing new old items at the National. What I mean is is every dealer there already dealing on Ebay, so it's basically just an Ebay Buy It Now convention, or do collectors who arn't on Ebay set up?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Daryl

My advice is to loosen up your schedule; the National is way too big for only one day!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Sean Brennan

Do dealers accept credit cards nowadays?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few answers

To answer a few questions...from my experiences you absolutely can find new, old stuff. I think I have always been able to add a few pieces to my collection at the National.

As for credit card acceptance.....I wouldn't count on it though a few will accept them. As I said earlier, cash really is your best bet.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Tony N.

Default Cash is King

You would most likely get a better deal on a larger $ card by paying with cash.

Most dealers frown upon accepting credit cards because of fees.

Tony
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Most dealers frown upon accepting credit cards because of fees.
And capital gains tax.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
And capital gains tax.
Lol yep
Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Tony N.

Default Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
And capital gains tax.
Dealers won't understate their revenue and not report all of there cash sales will they?

When they tell me they only accept cash and not checks or credit cards, is it wrong to say I'm an auditor, after I take one of their business cards?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Steven

Default One day is tough...

With pnly one day Id say you have to choose your mission(s) wisely...there are a ton of beautiful cards that most of us cant afford that are amazing to gape open-mouthed all day at or you can put your head down and blast through tons of tables looking for the all cards you wont get on ebay...Im usually in the middle and exhausted on a single day quest.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight, a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

Also, do get together with other collectors & dealers. It's a great way to put some faces to the names of the Net54 members. People can be quite different face to face than they are on the forum.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy a whole lot.

Alan
Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight, a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

Also, do get together with other collectors & dealers. It's a great way to put some faces to the names of the Net54 members. People can be quite different face to face than they are on the forum.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy a whole lot.

Alan
+1
Old 07-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. As usual from this forum, I received some excellent comments. I know that one day at The National is probably similar to taking the City Tour of Paris and claiming to have seen everything in the city, but I can't rearrange my schedule so I am going to make the most that I can out of that day. I also hope to meet some Net 54'ers at the convention.

One more question. Will it be fairly easy to walk up to pay for admission, or should I purchase admission tickets over the internet.

Thanks again everyone! Have a happy and safe Fourth!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Jeff Gross

I went to my 1st National last summer in Baltimore. It was amazing! I was only there for one day, but could have spent 3 days there. It was only a 90 minute drive to Baltimore, which made it even nicer.

Anyone know the locations for the next few Nationals?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg8422 View Post
I went to my 1st National last summer in Baltimore. It was amazing! I was only there for one day, but could have spent 3 days there. It was only a 90 minute drive to Baltimore, which made it even nicer.

Anyone know the locations for the next few Nationals?
I think the next couple will be in Crabville and Lebronless.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Default National locations

2011 Chicago
2012 Baltimore
2013 Chicago ?
2014 Cleveland ?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Yeah they are dealers at the National that don't do much with ebay,
a couple of dealer friends are gonna be there and neither do ebay.
Most of the dealers I dealt with do accept credit cards.
But you'll get a better deal paying with cash, for example no taxes, etc.
I haven't been to a National in ages- the crowds and I felt the prices were a bit much at time.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM
John €ffenheim

I just picked up a night at the Hyatt next to convention center for $50 on Priceline, just in case someone's still looking.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Shaun Fyffe

if anybody is willing... as mentioned, I can't go out there, but I am looking for the Jackie Robinson Bond Bread set, and it would be greatly appreciated if someone were to reach out to me if they find any of the cards...
Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Another question from someone who's never been:

If I have to choose, is it better to go on Day 1 (because all of the selection is available) or the last day (because dealers will offer better deals to move cards that didn't sell)?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Yankeefan51

Default National Strategy- Our Perspective

We have attended 15 Nationals at different venues across the country.

Whilst there is some interesting material for sale, over the past 3 years,
the vast majority of the great items were displayed to promote an auction-
i.e. the Legendary and Heritage auctions this year.

The best sources for great material one does not see every day has been
Tik and Tik- albeit the prices are strong.

The number of rare, high grade type cards is few and far between.
That said a few dealers who run Buy it Now postings on E Bay- do
display their better cards- again the prices are 50-100% over market
which is why they have been on E Bay for a year ,

We have had good luck at some of the smaller tables with unusual Negro League material and rare post cards- i.e. we bought Rose Post cards in PSA 7 and a Just So several years ago

Finally, whilst many dealers prefer cash, if it is a large transaction
(say $2000-20,000) they will happily take a check or a credit card.

Good luck

Hope to see you in Chicago.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com
Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Another question from someone who's never been:

If I have to choose, is it better to go on Day 1 (because all of the selection is available) or the last day (because dealers will offer better deals to move cards that didn't sell)?
I would highly suggest Day 1. I'm not sure many dealers stick around to Sunday.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Robert S

Default Definitely Day 1

Day 1 definitely is your better bet.

Of course, Day 2, 3, etc. are tons of fun, too...

Robert S