NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default SGC grading on centering

I know SGC grades tough on pencil marks and that sort of thing, so I was curious how this card got an SGC 40 with the 100/0 centering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-Mordec...item1c1ce92c43

I'm not asking specifically about this card, but more on the methodolgy they use. Their Grading Scale clearly states that the only possible grade for a card with less than 90/10 centering is an SGC 10 (or A, I suppose). I don't have a lot of graded cards, so I'm curious if this is just one that was overlooked, or does SGC not follow their own guidance on centering? If they did, this would be a 10 in my mind.

Cheers,
Geno
Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

100/0 centering? Hell, it's got part of the photo from another card...
Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

no, that would be like 120/-20... and then it would actually become more valuable.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
no, that would be like 120/-20... and then it would actually become more valuable.
Thats right and it's an interesting phenomena. I guess a printing oddity so bad that it is collectible. I wish all my 95/5's that I upgraded were 125/-25 and I would have a ready made market.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 PM
James Gallo

Well aside from the centering the card is nice, probably a 50 or 60, so the centering brought it down like it was supposed to. In a PSA holders is a 5 or 6 MC.

Not sure what else you would expect the card is nice and appears to have minor wear and no creases.

James G
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Default sgc 40

Grade looks right to me...... Not like it is a 6 or a 7 with awful centering or a spot of stock loss on the back. That would be a different story....

Cheers,

Go Bruins!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 PM

The grading of centering on tobacco cards may be a bit different from say Topps/Bowman cards.
I've seen some oddball centering with tobacco cards.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Grading philosophy

James --

I agree it's a nice enough card other than that- and it's priced fair from I guy I've bought from successfully in the past, so don't confuse my question with one about this particular card/sale. My question is more general, about SGC's grading philosophy. It clearly states to get an SGC 20, 30, or 40, the card needs to be 90/10. This one is certainly not, so it should have maxed out at an SGC 10.

So I guess my question is, if I send in a card that would get a "PSA 4 (MC)" that had 100/0 centering, what would I expect SGC to grade it? I always figured it would get an SGC 10 - I thought their grading scale was pretty rigorous. If it was a nice card with a pen mark on the back, it would certainly get a 10 from SGC, from what I've seen.

Take Care,
Geno

Last edited by HercDriver; 07-03-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 AM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
James --

I agree it's a nice enough card other than that- and it's priced fair from I guy I've bought from successfully in the past, so don't confuse my question with one about this particular card/sale. My question is more general, about SGC's grading philosophy. It clearly states to get an SGC 20, 30, or 40, the card needs to be 90/10. This one is certainly not, so it should have maxed out at an SGC 10.

So I guess my question is, if I send in a card that would get a "PSA 4 (MC)" that had 100/0 centering, what would I expect SGC to grade it? I always figured it would get an SGC 10 - I thought their grading scale was pretty rigorous. If it was a nice card with a pen mark on the back, it would certainly get a 10 from SGC, from what I've seen.

Take Care,
Geno
Much like anything else centering is just part of the grade and they grade on a case by case basis. So it's not a firm rule.

If you sent in a mint card with a stray pen mark on the back it would not get a 10 I don't think.

I have several nice SGC 40 cards with some minor paper loss and they are graded right, it just depends. I feel those "rules" are general guidelines and not the end all be all.

James G
Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 PM

I believe SGC changed their criteria on centering a while back. Maybe someone from SGC can chime in. They seemingly had almost no centering standards before, but in recent years they implemented standards similar to PSA's. My guess is the grossly off-centered cards are older grades.
JimB
Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I believe SGC changed their criteria on centering a while back. Maybe someone from SGC can chime in. They seemingly had almost no centering standards before, but in recent years they implemented standards similar to PSA's. My guess is the grossly off-centered cards are older grades.
JimB
This isn't that old as it has the most recent label, so it was graded in the last year or two I forget when they moved to teh plastic logo on the back).

Anyway nuf said :-D

James G
Old 07-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post

I have several nice SGC 40 cards with some minor paper loss and they are graded right, it just depends. I feel those "rules" are general guidelines and not the end all be all.

James G

Wow, James. you must have gotten an SGC grader on a good day like his birthday or something because I have tons of otherwise 60s, 70s and 80s with minor paper loss on the back which were crucified. Likewise some beautiful Zeenuts, just gorgeous with a tiny number in ink on the blank back near the top and they plunged down to 10s and 20s. I continue to use SGC but go in knowing what will happen with any paper loss or writing on the back.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Justin Cur.ze

I'm just going to say that I think it's stupid that SGC doesn't clearly state their qualifiers (MC, OC, etc.) like PSA does. Why are they leaving it up to interpretation as to why a card got a grade? If this card gets a 5 or 6 from PSA with the qualifier, at least there is no debate as to WHAT the qualifier is.

What if you send SGC a card with great corners that is heavily off-center, AND it has a small pencil mark, and it comes back, oh, at 20. Well, which one was the larger determinant in getting that low grade? I hate having to interpret this, and IMO, it's the reason they'll always be inferior to PSA. People paying thousands of dollars for cards want to know EXACTLY what they're buying.