NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Kenny Cole

Fair enough. We just disagree.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Someone who never gets mentioned it seems is Bill James...if you are talking contributions to baseball, James needs to be mentioned. Whether you think him a genius or ruining the game, he has had a massive influence over the years...put him and Marvin Miller in now.

Joshua
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Umpire-Tim McClelland should get in.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I know I'm in the minority here... But if ever there was a Manager who should be scrutinized for the use of steroids, it's LaRussa. Were any other teams in history more rampantly "using" than the 1990s Athletics or 2000s Cardinals?

At worst, he encouraged its usage, and at best he "turned a blind eye". Few could argue (with a straight face) that LaRussa was unaware of what was going on. If players like McGwire, Palmeiro and even Bagwell (who was never actually incriminated) are receiving incredibly low vote totals, shouldn't it stand to reason that LaRussa would as well?

I know he's been a very successful Manager over the years, but seems to me that the same rules should apply. You can say he's managed over 5,000 games, but McGwire's hit a whole bunch of Home Runs (playing for both of LaRussa's teams) and he's not getting in anytime soon.

I'm anticipating lots of dissenting opinions on this, but that's my 2 cents on LaRussa.
Agree with your point philosophically. Add Dusty Baker to that list IMO also--with Bonds' head getting bigger almost by the day (as well as the rest of that juiced bod) and Bonds seemingly defying the laws of nature in getting incredibility better just at the time he oridinarily would have been entering baseball old age, the situation should have presented quite an ethical dilemma to the former Giants skipper, but obviously did not. Imagine the fallout if Baker had told Bonds that he could not in good conscience write his name into the lineup (an absolutely delicious thought to those of us who are not exactly Barry Bonds fans)! In actual practice, however, both Baker and LaRussa probably found themselves caught between a rock and a hard place, and naturally believed they had little alternative than to keep writing their most productive players' names into the lineup. I have the same problem putting either of them into the HOF that I do with a number of players from that era--according to Kirk Radomski (former Mets clubhouse attendant, and central figure in the Mitchell report)'s book, "Bases Loaded," heavy steroid use was simply the culture during that time. While Bonds and McGwire were among those who embraced it, they also were probably two of the very hardest working players of the time (a lot of people think all they had to do was inject their butts, but the kind of results they got, both in terms of muscle mass and enhanced hitting performance, were also directly related to hard workouts, watching video and studying pitchers, and, at least in McGwire's case, the evolution of his swing into one incredibly short, compact and lightning quick stroke!). And I could not and still cannot stand Bonds, but there is no denying how incredibly well he played the hitter/pitcher game. He could read pitches and pitchers' thinking as well as anyone, and when he did get a pitch to hit, he almost never missed it! I'm certainly not saying these two should be HOF'ers, because there is no question their achievements cannot be directly compared to their predecessors whose performance was not artificially enhanced. I honestly don't know what to do with them or their peers, who were the best of that era, unless Cooperstown opens a Cheaters' Wing! But do we move Gaylord Perry's plaque to that wing, if it is opened??? It's true that there's always been cheating in baseball, from stealing and relaying signs by a confederate stationed in the bleachers to amphetamines to corked bats (I've got an excellent game-used example of the latter, originating from one of the leading sluggers of the '60's). Are some forms of cheating OK, and others not? Or are we into a really gray area, which is why I say I really do not know what to do with these guys?

With regard to Jim Leyland, he knows how to treat men with respect and players like to play for him, but please, PLEASE let us not include him for HOF consideration. Here in Detroit, we don't believe he ever really learned to make out a lineup. He doesn't seem to understand that putting your least productive hitters near the top of the lineup is absolutely counter-productive, because they get more at bats than those penned in lower in the order, and falls in love with certain players who have rarely been productive, playing them 3-4 times as often as he should, simply because they are equally bad at any number of postions in the field--can anyone say "Ryan Rugburn (oops--Rayburn)?" He also has a knack for resting young players just when they're really starting to hit their stride, then seems to be mystified when they've lost that groove after several needless games on the bench. He came up with what I call a "SALL," meaning a silly-ass Leyland lineup, just the other day, and when my wife asked why I wasn't watching the game, I told her that he had presented the lineup to the umpires at the start of the game, and they started laughing so hard they couldn't stop, and had to call the game!

Great thread, though.

Larry

PS: I would put Torre and Bobby Cox in the HOF in a heartbeat!

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-02-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Torre and Cox; steroids and other misc. forms of cheating
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Terrific post, Larry.... very well thought out, and nicely articulated. I would put both Cox and Torre in there as well (and agree that Baker is a resounding "no"!)
Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default How about some HOF consideration for . . .

Lefty O'Doul for the early contributions he made
towards the growth of baseball in Japan ?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

Lefty O'Doul for the early contributions he made
towards the growth of baseball in Japan ?
I think someday that may very well be possible, especially with the large amount of Japanese players that are playing in the MLB. There are a few players that I would put into a "pioneer" category in regards to possible admission. O'doul and Curt Flood immediately come to mind. I believe Flood WILL eventually get in on the veterans ballot. Every player out there knows his contribution in regards to free agency, and that he pretty much gave up his career for it. I'd imagine the more modern players that get in, the better his chances.

Now back to managers, I agree about Baker(I threw him out there for discussion), I really don't think he'll get in. Any thoughts on Ralph Houk or Danny Murtaugh?

How about some owners for discussion. What about Phillip Wrigley? John Henry(I know it's early)? John Galbreath? Ted Turner?

Here's an interesting ranking on owners..Aside from anyone I mentioned, are there any thoughts about anyone on this list?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...in-mlb-history