NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default Thread No Longer Needed

Thread No Longer Needed
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 01-29-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Thread No Longer Needed
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2017, 08:16 AM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is online now
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,062
Default

Although I only collect sets and just do the base Topps and Heritage sets now to keep my run going, I enjoy looking at the new stuff including the many innovative issues or oddities that come out each year, and certainly don't think those who do collect such stuff think of it as a joke. Different tastes and different budgets make the hobby interesting to me.

Some folks corner the market on 52 Bartiromes, some 63 Floods and some 2016 Topps Carl Edwards Refractor Rainbow Chrome plates :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-28-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2017, 08:22 AM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is online now
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,614
Default

personally...I have very little appreciation for the new shiny stuff. the copied styles of cards from cards past...so unoriginal! the manufactured scarcities...such a bad investment in m opinion. The crazy high pack prices...you can't just buy a few packs for fun without spending nice dinner money. The fact that most of these cards will be mint forever.

I do like the topps "moment" idea...if thats what they are called...but so expensive!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-28-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2017, 08:56 AM
JoeDfan JoeDfan is offline
Sean Sullivan
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 635
Default

I do like the signed rookie cards. But not the refractichrome 1 of 0 die cut gold parallel invisible ones.

Basically, I just try to get a basic signed rookie of my favorite players. Oh yeah, and once in a while, if the Wal-Mart line is too long, I might buy a random pack.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2017, 09:29 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,750
Default

Not a big fan of the NEW shiny cards. I do like making shiny versions of old cards. Here are a few I have made, sorry for the horrible phone pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 591.jpg (74.9 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg jellorandy1.jpg (75.8 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg refractor1.jpg (75.1 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg mantleX3.jpg (77.4 KB, 380 views)
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2017, 10:49 AM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Not a big fan of the NEW shiny cards. I do like making shiny versions of old cards. Here are a few I have made, sorry for the horrible phone pictures.
Do you have a site where you showcase all your custom cards...I would love to see your best stuff...Might be interested in a couple custom cards...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
Do you have a site where you showcase all your custom cards...I would love to see your best stuff...Might be interested in a couple custom cards...
I mainly do it for fun, I sometime sell to friends but not very often. Here is a link to some stuff I posted on here. I like making the custom boxes/packaging the most.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201034
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237631
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,099
Default

Do You Vintage Guys Like The Pretty Colors and Shiny Cards At All??? No
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 10-28-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2017, 11:19 AM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Do You Vintage Guys Like The Pretty Colors and Shiny Cards At All??? No
Short and simple, you the man...

Chasing fancy colors and completing rainbows seems like something my 11 year old sister would have been doing when we were younger. hahahhaha
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2017, 11:47 AM
swarmee's Avatar
swarmee swarmee is offline
J0hn Raff3rty
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Niceville FL
Posts: 3,543
Default

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...ighlight=jordy

Here's a thread of mine on blowout showing my only rainbow attempt. Did it mainly to see what all the fuss was about.
__________________
--
Current Want to Buy/Trade for List:
1930s Phoebe Phelps Caramel Pennant of Georgia Tech
1910 Painted handkerchief of GA Tech pennant girl by F. Earl Christy sold by Atlanta Toy Museum on eBay circa 2000.
COMC store: https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sh,i100
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-2017, 03:17 PM
BearBailey BearBailey is offline
Brandon Bailey
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 297
Default

Yes, I still collect sets and Orioles of the modern cards, but still working back to complete vintage sets.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2017, 06:15 PM
bravos4evr's Avatar
bravos4evr bravos4evr is offline
Nick Barnes
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 757
Default

I mostly only do Braves autographed balls and other stuff now, but I DO try and add Bowman Chrome signed cards from guys I think will be our top prospects of the future.

As far as all the 5011 refractors and fake scarcity and all that, I think it's a bubble that is going to burst one day and leave a lot of people with cards they paid thousands for that are as worthless as the junk era.
__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."- Tom Waits

Last edited by bravos4evr; 10-28-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-2017, 06:37 PM
bobsbbcards's Avatar
bobsbbcards bobsbbcards is offline
Bob F.
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 458
Default

No, and those darn kids should get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-2017, 06:46 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
No, and those darn kids should get off my lawn.
LOL, if those darn kids understood the time, cash, and responsibility it took to have a nice lawn they would stay off it. Unfortunately those things only come with age and experience, something the young can never have.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-01-2017, 05:04 PM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,271
Default

I did one full rainbow including the 1/1 of Rick Porcello's 2008 Threads rookie DK10 because I loved the framed cards and am a Tiger's fan. Then did a second of the DK57 card also (could not find the 1/1, so as a stickler it's not full...lol)

It was fun to chase the hard ones and it took years to finish. But, after I completed and the chase was over I don't have much interest. I think that was the only rainbow runs I will be doing.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-02-2017, 02:53 PM
nat's Avatar
nat nat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 546
Default

No, I gave up that stuff in 1993. It .... has gotten worse since then.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 PM
jimtigers65 jimtigers65 is offline
Jim H
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lincoln, CA
Posts: 250
Default

No. I collect topps Detroit Tigers and have a complete run of Tigers from 1952 to 2017. I used to be able to look at a card and tell you what year it was from. I can no longer say that because the last 10 years all the cards look the same. Maybe, Im getting old as I have to my glasses on to read the back of the card.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 7,133
Default

I appreciate the innovative designs and materials like dufex foil, acetate, etc. Some modern cards are just plain freakin' cool tech:









I know they'll never really appreciate so I just buy them on the cheap when I see them and enjoy.

I also like some of the issues of the 1980s:







__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-19-2017, 11:06 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I appreciate the innovative designs and materials like dufex foil, acetate, etc. Some modern cards are just plain freakin' cool tech:
I love the 80s and 90s designs...I have a Sandberg collection and its nice that it spans throughout those years...Gives a great chance to see all the different brands and whatnot...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Do You Vintage Guys Like The Pretty Colors and Shiny Cards At All??? No



Whoa! Easy there Pops!
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-21-2017, 02:18 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Whoa! Easy there Pops!
Yeah, that was a stern no. hahahha
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-21-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-21-2017, 04:18 PM
WillBBC WillBBC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 392
Default

I love some of them...greatly dislike others. The amount of redundant, ridiculously high MSRP products that are out now just do nothing for me. I stick to a few boxes of Heritage and Bowman Draft/Chrome per year, maybe a box of Stadium Club then Series 1 and 2 Upper Deck Hockey and SP Authentic.

I'm a sucker for Refractors though, especially some of the earlier issues and the colored Heritage versions. My wife was in the living room with me while I was opening some Heritage last year and pulled a Bryce Harper Gold Refractor numbered to 5. I was thrilled, she dropped a Lisa Frank joke immediately and had me laughing for 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-21-2017, 04:31 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
I'm a sucker for Refractors though, especially some of the earlier issues and the colored Heritage versions.
Those early year refractors and even low number serials are valuable. Expecially some of those basketball ones...

An 1999 /100 is not the same as a 2017 /100...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-23-2017, 09:04 PM
avalanche2006 avalanche2006 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 411
Default

My 2 cents.
I grew up collecting cards in the 70s and 80s.
Collected all of the sets.
Sold that collection when I had mouths to feed.
I got back into collecting with hockey in 05-06 with my kids.
I don't know how many packs we opened trying to get that damn Crosby young gun, which we never did.
After 10 years of going through the whole game used jersey, autos, rcs, refractors, blue,green, on and on.
I finally realized what a waste of time that was.
I can't even look at all this new shiny stuff.
But I'm old school anyway so I want anything old.

Ok. So you have Leons simple answer, which I could have just agreed with.
But I decided to ramble for a minute.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-23-2017, 09:24 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche2006 View Post
My 2 cents.
I grew up collecting cards in the 70s and 80s.
Collected all of the sets.
Sold that collection when I had mouths to feed.
I got back into collecting with hockey in 05-06 with my kids.
I don't know how many packs we opened trying to get that damn Crosby young gun, which we never did.
After 10 years of going through the whole game used jersey, autos, rcs, refractors, blue,green, on and on.
I finally realized what a waste of time that was.
I can't even look at all this new shiny stuff.
But I'm old school anyway so I want anything old.

Ok. So you have Leons simple answer, which I could have just agreed with.
But I decided to ramble for a minute.
Ramble away my friend...Modern is a joke. Manufactured scarcity...I am mostly vintage myself, but collect some modern Cubbies...Mostly autos...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,099
Default

Just to reiterate my long winded answer. No.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,872
Default

Yes.

I love the game of baseball. I can't get Paul Goldschmidt on a T206, so then I buy modern stuff.

Those that don't typically like all the years, in my experience, are not lovers of the game, they are purely hobbyist. Or they only like the game "the way it used to be played". That is fine, but a hobbyist is going to be particular to the hobby without any interest in the game itself. Someone, like myself, that loves the game is in the hobby due to the connection it gives me to the game and that includes all years and all aspects.
__________________
::::CENSORED::::
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Yes.

I love the game of baseball. I can't get Paul Goldschmidt on a T206, so then I buy modern stuff.

Those that don't typically like all the years, in my experience, are not lovers of the game, they are purely hobbyist. Or they only like the game "the way it used to be played". That is fine, but a hobbyist is going to be particular to the hobby without any interest in the game itself. Someone, like myself, that loves the game is in the hobby due to the connection it gives me to the game and that includes all years and all aspects.
Poppycock. I love the game of baseball as much as almost anyone. I play softball actively every week (except in the winter) and have for around 50 yrs when including baseball as a youngster. I don't know what a Paul Goldschmidt is nor do I care (no disrespect meant to that person). That doesn't make me not like baseball. I don't like the way pro athletes act, in general. I never really got over the strike in the 1994 season, which ended it, amid salary cap negotiations. Then in the 1987-1994 era, baseball cards were produced by the gazillions and that pretty much killed a lot of the hobby. Then lastly there is manufactured rarity which I don't care for. I like baseball just as much or more than almost anyone. My original answer was much better, "no".

Btw, I think it's great that a lot of collectors love new, shiny cards. I think it's awesome they are at least collecting baseball cards and having fun.
Happy collecting.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 11-24-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:46 AM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,307
Default

I've said it before but I don't really understand how vintage guys who collect rare back T206's can have such harsh opinions when it comes to modern cards. I don't see a manufactured rarity any different from an unintentionally manufactured rarity. If you collect rare backs, you're collecting a more limited version of a common card. How is that any different from chasing numbered refractors or other variations? Some would say the difference is that the refractor is made to be rare. There are plenty of sets that have short printed players, which were certainly printed in smaller numbers on purpose.

Really I think it comes down to the age old argument of what is or isn't cool.

Last edited by packs; 11-27-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've said it before but I don't really understand how vintage guys who collect rare back T206's can have such harsh opinions when it comes to modern cards. I don't see a manufactured rarity any different from an unintentionally manufactured rarity. If you collect rare backs, you're collecting a more limited version of a common card. How is that any different from chasing numbered refractors or other variations? Some would say the difference is that the refractor is made to be rare. There are plenty of sets that have short printed players, which were certainly printed in smaller numbers on purpose.

Really I think it comes down to the age old argument of what is or isn't cool.
I politely disagree. True rarity and manufactured rarity are different to most vintage collectors including me, maybe that is a lot of the issue. Yes, there are some issues that have been made to have scarcities ('33 Lajoie comes to mind) but most sets weren't intended to have scarcer cards. On the other hand the shiny cards that are numbered are made to be rare. Big difference.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:44 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I politely disagree. True rarity and manufactured rarity are different to most vintage collectors including me, maybe that is a lot of the issue. Yes, there are some issues that have been made to have scarcities ('33 Lajoie comes to mind) but most sets weren't intended to have scarcer cards. On the other hand the shiny cards that are numbered are made to be rare. Big difference.
Fair point but I think both share something similar. I think some vintage guys like rare backs because it's a scarcer version of a base card. The refractor is the same principle, though it is different in that it's numbered and produced to be scarcer. I feel like there would be some common ground but I think it's one or the other for most.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Fair point but I think both share something similar. I think some vintage guys like rare backs because it's a scarcer version of a base card. The refractor is the same principle, though it is different in that it's numbered and produced to be scarcer. I feel like there would be some common ground but I think it's one or the other for most.
Yeah, that is the way it is for me. But there are far more collectors doing what you are speaking of....I am probably in the 1-2% of members who don't care for MLB or Pro Sports much at all. I would rather spend my time doing something else...It's America after all
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeah, that is the way it is for me. But there are far more collectors doing what you are speaking of....I am probably in the 1-2% of members who don't care for MLB or Pro Sports much at all. I would rather spend my time doing something else...It's America after all
Watched/listened to less than 20 baseball games this year. 0 basketball games, 0 hockey games, and absolutely 0 NFL games...Probably going to be the first time I don't watch the Super Bowl in like 30+ years...Bout 80% on that...

Sports is a joke...People are way too obsessed with that nonsense. Straight up detrimental to our society...Shit is on some straight up dummy too. It's the same thing, year after year. HeShePN be on that soap opera type shit too and dudes just be clamoring for it...

I challenge anybody to take 1 year off of sports and listen to intellectual type podcasts and audio books...Come back next season, and you will see what I mean...Straight up dummy, dum, dum type shit...

UltraFineSmallPrint: Kev Mitchell endorses these comments...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
Watched/listened to less than 20 baseball games this year. 0 basketball games, 0 hockey games, and absolutely 0 NFL games...Probably going to be the first time I don't watch the Super Bowl in like 30+ years...Bout 80% on that...

Sports is a joke...People are way too obsessed with that nonsense. Straight up detrimental to our society...Shit is on some straight up dummy too. It's the same thing, year after year. HeShePN be on that soap opera type shit too and dudes just be clamoring for it...

I challenge anybody to take 1 year off of sports and listen to intellectual type podcasts and audio books...Come back next season, and you will see what I mean...Straight up dummy, dum, dum type shit...

UltraFineSmallPrint: Kev Mitchell endorses these comments...
Umm.....I only sort of understand that middle bit??? I gather you think sports are stupid? Or that people who like sports are stupid?

And yet you collect sports stuff? Or do you just buy it for the "insert lottery" and the potential money? Or are you just here to occasionally rile up the old folks? (You can look up "rile up" yourself )

I do some more intellectual stuff, although I don't think I'd rate podcasts as being all that highbrow. A lot of the "intellectual" stuff simply bores me more than a bad NBA game (Meaning nearly all of them these days) A bunch of pretentious hacks pondering the "meaning" of a painting of a cheeseburger, or the philosophical implications of a blank book or something. Yawn! (I suspect the real "meaning" of most art is that the artist either got a commission and was happy to get paid, or was making some art hoping to be paid so they could eat. The same applies to most books. Movies are just remakes, so they don't count. )
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Umm.....I only sort of understand that middle bit??? I gather you think sports are stupid? Or that people who like sports are stupid?

Sports are definitely stupid. I ain't touching that last question, I wouldn't want to "rile" anyone up...

And yet you collect sports stuff? Or do you just buy it for the "insert lottery" and the potential money? Or are you just here to occasionally rile up the old folks? (You can look up "rile up" yourself )

Unfortunately, this is where I am a hypocrite. I have collected baseball cards my entire life and enjoy the organization of everything. I never rip modern, but will snag some modern singles. I collect vintage mostly...I buy, sell and trade to ultimately die never paying for a single card...

The couple of things that I have said on this forum that "riled" people up is laughable...Anyone that has been upset with stuff I have said, is on some straight up snowflake type shit...

I do some more intellectual stuff, although I don't think I'd rate podcasts as being all that highbrow. A lot of the "intellectual" stuff simply bores me more than a bad NBA game (Meaning nearly all of them these days) A bunch of pretentious hacks pondering the "meaning" of a painting of a cheeseburger, or the philosophical implications of a blank book or something. Yawn! (I suspect the real "meaning" of most art is that the artist either got a commission and was happy to get paid, or was making some art hoping to be paid so they could eat. The same applies to most books. Movies are just remakes, so they don't count. )

Some podcasts are super highbrow.

Sam Harris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDpjKdlIxA Pretty good mix of info. But, listen to a few from this dude. He is ultra smart...
Joe Rogan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHMSvSqCDKc One of the greatest podcasts I have ever listened to. Great talk with a physics professor (Sean Carroll) specializing in dark energy and general relativity. The last 30-45 minutes are his thoughts on how the universe started. Woah...

Here are two great podcasts to start with...These shouldn't bore you...You won't find any cheeseburger art critiquing on those podcasts. hahah

Not sure how this turned to art, but art is whatever a person wants to call art...I don't even get into that with people...I write songs, play piano, create graphic designs and produce video content. I consider the majority of that art..
Feel free to shoot me a couple links too...I love finding new people to listen too...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-29-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-29-2017, 03:20 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
Feel free to shoot me a couple links too...I love finding new people to listen too...
LOL Joe Rogan in a drug addled moron on a good day. If you don't take him seriously his pod cast are very funny to listen to. It is awesome when guests facts do not agree his crazy opinions, he acts like a spoiled little kid who just heard NO for the first time.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-29-2017, 04:42 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
LOL Joe Rogan in a drug addled moron on a good day. If you don't take him seriously his pod cast are very funny to listen to. It is awesome when guests facts do not agree his crazy opinions, he acts like a spoiled little kid who just heard NO for the first time.
If you don't think dudes podcasts are valuable information, you might just be listening to the fight companion type shows...I'm not saying all of them, but there are dozens and dozens that will help anyone be a better human...

There is a lot of information that comes out those podcasts that should be taken seriously.

Dude has scientists, college professors, nutritionists and many other types of people as well. You must think dude is doing Fear Factor still or something...

Listen to whatever you want, but at least be somewhat accurate if you're going to hate...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-29-2017, 05:09 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
If you don't think dudes podcasts are valuable information, you might just be listening to the fight companion type shows...I'm not saying all of them, but there are dozens and dozens that will help anyone be a better human...

There is a lot of information that comes out those podcasts that should be taken seriously.

Dude has scientists, college professors, nutritionists and many other types of people as well. You must think dude is doing Fear Factor still or something...

Listen to whatever you want, but at least be somewhat accurate if you're going to hate...
I like when he talks MMA, he actually knows what he is talking about then even if he is blasted out of his mind on drugs.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-29-2017, 05:26 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I like when he talks MMA, he actually knows what he is talking about then even if he is blasted out of his mind on drugs.
Just the opposite, I don't really mess with the fight shows...

Very rarely is dude so messed up that it is affecting the show in any way...There are a few and they are fitting when it happens...And to mention, he just was completely sober for the entire month of October. Probably said a couple good things then. hahah

Swap alcohol out for the drugs he discusses and this society would be way different. For the better...

If I am being held on this...For intellectual shit, you go with Sam Harris, Sean Carroll or Neil Degrasse Tyson. For higher consciousness you go with Rogan...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-30-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Had to clarify a couple things. hahah
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-30-2017, 02:01 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
Cards From The Attic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Packsylvania
Posts: 259
Default

I'm cool with turning this thread into a discussion about learning and becoming a better human...But, if you're on that drive by media, television conditioning type bullshit, not sure how far it can go. But, I will give it a try...
__________________
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carl edwards jr., modern cards, topps chrome



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wow - we are actually pretty nice guys Runscott Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 4 12-14-2014 05:40 PM
Modern shiny stuff v. Vintage Pre War YankeeCollector Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 12-28-2011 08:10 AM
E98s: difficulty of cards, colors, and set as a whole sesop Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 25 05-07-2009 01:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.


ebay GSB