NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Default Will you return to baseball after another strike?

Posted By: darthshoeless 

Just trying to get a feel about this topic--many of my friends say no. I myself would find it very difficult to return to watching them if they strike again. Any thoughts?

Old 06-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

...when a game is a part of your life, even if something unpleasent happens?

I'm not a casual enough fan to walk away, nor am I a serious enough one to stop watching out of principle.

Old 06-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I agree with you 100% but I'm afraid we are the SMALL minority here. Remember watching the news after the last strike? Lots of coverage of fouls and home run balls landing in empty seats.

If those fools strike, it may just be the final nail.

Of course, Baseball card collecting will die with it.

The 1998 home run race saved the game. gan they juice the ball up even more and make playing fields even smaller?

Old 06-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

"I'm not a casual enough fan to walk away, nor a
serious enough one to quit on principle."

Ruin the baseball card business? You mean I'm going to be able to get a complete Mayo set for $10.00? WHOOPIE!

Old 06-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

When this kind of crap happens, I tend to get even more nostalgic, thinking about how I "perceived" the game in the '60s and '70s. It makes me realize how little I like it now. When I lived in Houston I went to about 25-30 games a year. When I lived in Dallas, even more - including the 10 or so a year that I flew to using my flight benefits. But when the strike hit a couple of years after I moved to Atlanta, and Tom Glavine was the players spokesperson, I basically quit going. I still go to a game when I'm in another city, and I still watch on t.v. some, but I have very little respect for these multimillionaires with their gold crosses hanging out of their ears, their whining about not wanting to play in both games of a double-header, or in an afternoon game following a night game, their contract incentives for personal stats rather than team stats. And Bud Selig makes me sick as well. No, this isn't the same game you grew up with. And I predict that the next strike will not harm the vintage market in any great way, but will kill the "refractor-age" cards. Wouldn't that be nice?

Old 06-07-2002, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

i will always watch baseball,so i would hate for a strike to happen but baseballs my life so ill be waiting impatiently if they strike. it would be nice if vintage prices dropped because im poor but i dont think that would happen

Old 06-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

excellent idea

Old 06-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

we don't get it in the S.F. Bay Area. Damn.

Old 06-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

But this year the prices did. Not the tickets (they're still the best deal among the major sports), the rest of it. Fox has jacked up the prices of the parking and concessions so much that Dodger Stadium is painful to attend, so I dropped my firm tickets this year. I felt like I'm handing out 20's at the turnstiles. Especially after going to a D'Backs game last year--slightly lower prices and MUCH better concessions. Still, my daughter (bless her) asked me the other day when we were going to the baseball game again, so I'll be back.

Don't kid yourselves, the players of the past did not strike only because they did not have a solid and effective union or an effective National Labor Relations Act. Players tried for decades to kill the reserve clause; they failed only because of an asinine ruling by the Supreme Court that ruled baseball was not a business hence was exempt from antitrust laws. The rapacious bastards (aka owners) have always been the same; only the balance of power has shifted. Don't think for a moment that Cobb, Ruth, etc. would not have moved freely between cities for more money or stopped work to address workplace crap at the ballpark. The "whiny millionaires" are the same animal as the whiny bus drivers who struck the LA Unified School District a few months ago over salary and workplace issues. We resent it because the numbers are a heck of a lot bigger, but only because the money in the industry is a heck of a lot bigger. Like it or not, these guys generate a billion dollars + every year.

I also want to point out that Selig & Co. are the ones to blame. They are the bosses. If they don't or can't pay the big bucks, don't pay it, or fix the damned tv rights so that everyone pools their $$. It seems to work for the NFL and every other major sport. But don't blame the employees for the system that the employers have created.

Old 06-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Administrator

but if the fans quit going to games, I feel that it will put some pressure on both sides to come up with an agreement.

Adam - I like your point about tickets costing too much. But why do they cost too much? The owners can't afford to pay the players what they "deserve", yet they still have to increase ticket prices every year (at most stadiums). The players want more money, but the owners claim they are losing money. This seems to be a simple case of "somebody's lying" or "somebody's unreasonably greedy", or maybe a combination of both. I may never know the answer, but I can damned sure vote on the subject by not going to the friggin' (copyright Leon) games. But I voted last strike, and never re-newed by MLB voter's registration.

Old 06-09-2002, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Fire Bud Selig! Now!
The greedy owners never will and baseball will continue to be driven in to the ground. I used to think the racist, hypocritical, pompous, curmudgeon Keenesaw Mountain Landis was the worst commissioner ever, that is until Selig shlubbed on to the scene.

Old 06-09-2002, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Agree with TBob... Fire Selig NOW!!!

I'll lose my $20 Fantasy Baseball fee if this guy keeps his job!