NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1915 W-Unc cards- Redux

It's no secret that I recently acquired some of the 1915 W-unc strip cards from Lipset's last auction. I think they are really neat and couldn't be happier with them. I ended up winning (paying more than anyone else) 3 individual cards and a group of 4, and have since sold that group lot. In Lew's write up he states that he believes them being called "strip" cards is far from the truth. Lew knows far more than I do so I will acquiesce on that issue. I don't know if they were strip cards or not but many of them do look handcut. I already had the more commonly seen card of the Phili Team issue that has tiny player images, as my type for the set. That made a total of 8 cards I had in hand. Two of those cards were noted by Lew as being larger than the others and were at the end of that run of them. He noted they could possibly be a different series altogether. I decided to do a little comparison myself. I had 6 of the "regular" sized cards and 2 of the "larger" cards. Here are the measurements of all 8 cards I had, with the *2 from the potentially different set listed last. I didn't reduce the numbers so it is easier to see the size differences. All of these are in inches, of course:

Phili Team card small players ................. 2 45/64h x 1 46/64w
Jim Thorpe ......................................... 2 48/64 x 1 42/64
Joe Wood .......................................... 2 48/64 x 1 39/64
Fred Maisel ........................................ 2 48/64 x 1 42/64
Nap Rucker ........................................ 2 48/64 x 1 47/64
Joe Doyle .......................................... 2 49/64 x 1 42/64
* Mathewson ..................................... 2 48/64 x 1 44/64
* Phili Team composite ........................ 2 49/64 x 1 42/64

If we look at the type 2's, as I call them, you will see they are in fact the same size as the rest of the cards, in general. As for measuring I was very, very careful and used a magnifying glass and took an inordinate (addicted collector) amount of time as to not make a mistake. So what is my theory as to the "type 2s"? I don't think they were from a different set. I think they were only cropped differently and ALL of the cards were cut the same size, in general, with some variances, but those variances don't have to do with a different set. Just my 2 cents......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wunc1915x8.jpg (74.6 KB, 972 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-14-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Interesting info. Well cut side-by-side strip cards certainly seems to be indicated from the measurements. Did you/can you analyze the edges to see whether any of them exhibit varied cutting characteristics?

BTW, you have too much time.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the edges

Every 1915 W-Unc I have ever seen has been fairly heavily worn and all exhibited the same kind of natural wear to their edges. IN other words I could not see any differences. Yes, I have way too much time.

edited to add- I have seen a few that were very obviously trimmed after the fact and those exhibited regular trimming characteristics (clean, sharp cuts).

Last edited by Leon; 05-14-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Todd Schultz

Default the edges

the Irwin/Erwin and Lobert cards definitely looked different to me than the others--the photo area was much wider with no side borders. Maybe Lew thought there would be no reason for there to be two team pictures/composites, and/or the cropping of that card and the Matty was different, irrespective of size, and that's why he thought those two you won were from a different set.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-14-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
the Irwin/Erwin and Lobert cards definitely looked different to me than the others--the photo area was much wider with no side borders. Maybe Lew thought there would be no reason for there to be two team pictures/composites, and/or the cropping of that card and the Matty was different, irrespective of size, and that's why he thought those two you won were from a different set.
If you look at the team composite that was in the 2nd grouping (above), it also has the wide-picture look. Just as the two type 2's I acquired were the same size as the other cards, so are the Lobert/Erwin cards, I would venture to guess. It's sort of an optical illusion that makes them look wider but it's really their cropping of the photo's...all imnsho (in my not so humble opinion), except for my 8 cards shown. Those sizes are fact.

here is a link to the auction

http://www.oldjudge.com/auction/very-rare-w-cards/
Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Leon

unless Lew played with the scans, the Irwin and Lobert are clearly wider in the size of their photos than the cards you showed:

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-14-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 PM
James Gallo

[QUOTE=Leon;807896] All of these are in inches, of course:

Phili Team card small players ................. 2 45/64h x 1 46/64w
Jim Thorpe ......................................... 2 48/64 x 1 42/64
Joe Wood .......................................... 2 48/64 x 1 39/64
Fred Maisel ........................................ 2 48/64 x 1 42/64
Nap Rucker ........................................ 2 48/64 x 1 47/64
Joe Doyle .......................................... 2 49/64 x 1 42/64
* Mathewson ..................................... 2 48/64 x 1 44/64
* Phili Team composite ........................ 2 49/64 x 1 42/64

QUOTE]

I got the 4 card lot from Leon and also won 2 other cards from Lew. I already had a Jackson, Rucker and Phily team card. I sat down and compared them, although not to the extent that Leon did. This is what I came up with.

I used the Maisel as the standard and this is what I found.

Maisel and Doyle almost exact in size even though the bottom of the Doyle card looks cut off.

Wood matched top to bottom, but short Left to right

Rucker matches top to bottom, but much wider left to right.

Both my Ruckers have a print dot and are cut very close at the top. The both match size wise.

Athletics team matches top to bottom but is wide left to right, however the width matches the Rucker cards

Marquard is a bit wider both left to right and top to bottom but was very close top to bottom (tough to tell as it is in a SGC holder)

Maranville is a lot longer top to bottom but matches left to right.

Based on both Ruckers matching and many of the other cards being the exact same size, there just is no way these could be strip cards in my opinion. There are just way to many cards that are uniform and share characteristics. Plus seeing as both Ruckers are near identical in cut is pretty much enough proof for me.

I would love to hear what anyone's basis for these being strip is other then that is what they were cataloged as....

James G
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was just reading this thread again and have given this set some more thought recently. I am certainly in the camp of them being a set of candy cards rather than strip cards now as Lew Lipset (hi Lew) had stated. I still don't know about the two varieties being two different sets though. Anything is possible and hopefully we will learn more about this set in the future. There has to be something about it in some old ad or something, you would think?
Old 03-06-2015, 03:17 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

Interesting set. I especially like the team cards.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 PM

I have one of these not on any checklist I have seen. I just got a Grover Alexander back from SGC.

Steve
Amazing Heroes
Union NJ 07083
Old 10-20-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingheroes View Post
I have one of these not on any checklist I have seen. I just got a Grover Alexander back from SGC.

Steve
Amazing Heroes
Union NJ 07083
Steve,

May we see the Alexander?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:14 AM

I have the WaJo from this issue, killer card!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 AM

Default Alexander

Here is a scan of my Grover Cleveland Alexander (If I uploaded it correctly) It walked into my store with a handfull of cards from the same era, all in poor shape. I did not even know what set it was until I really started digging for information.

Steve
Amazing Heroes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 Grover Alexander.jpg (75.1 KB, 483 views)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a really neat card. I have never seen any that miscut before (that I remember). Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingheroes View Post
Here is a scan of my Grover Cleveland Alexander (If I uploaded it correctly) It walked into my store with a handfull of cards from the same era, all in poor shape. I did not even know what set it was until I really started digging for information.

Steve
Amazing Heroes
Old 04-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Looks like it was on the left side of a sheet.

BTW, are these half-tones or photo-engraved?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-18-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Any chance this is real? I cannot find any reprints anywhere, but that doesn't mean this rarity hasn't been recreated before. Fwiw, magnification reveals print like an authentic card, but image is not great due to wear.

Last edited by murphy8276; 11-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.