NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Default T206 set update.....anyone else?

Posted By: Dave

Well as I started collecting the set about 3 months ago I decided to go slow and easy and see how far along I could get. So far so good...24 graded and about another 10 ungraded. Anybody else getting anywhere with this?

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott T

Welcome to the world of rounded corners, creases, and paper loss!

This will be my fifth year working on the T206 set. The overwhelming majority of my collecting (SGC graded) is in the fair to good category. The total stands currently at 483 cards. My current goal is to have 500 cards by the 100 year anniversary of the set (1909). Sadly, the ones I need to add are the more expensive HOF'ers, a few Southern League cards, and the "never to be able to get barring a lottery win" Big 4.

My collection pales in comparision to most others on this board but, thankfully, I am not in competition with them. I collect what I enjoy. (Who else would bother to collect Nate Colbert cards?!?)

Scott

Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

Dave,
Nice start on your set. That scan looks sweet with all those portraits.
It's one of the many great angles for collecting the set.

I am knocking on the door of 50% complete on my all graded "Dings,Dents..." set.

http://www.psacard.com/set%5Fregistry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=33376&alltime=no&rank=35&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

My Cobb subset is complete and I hope to add another 10% to the set in 2007.
RayB

Old 01-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator

I just bought a small lot of Southern Leaguers...if you want email me which ones you need and I"ll see if any are in the group.

Ray....still quite envious of your collection to this point. I've yet to grab a HOF'er...the few I had were graded higher and I had to move them to free up more money.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

Dave- this is a great start...BUT, make sure you learn about the players too...

for instance the fact that tommy leach played in the first world series 1903 and led the NL in HRs in 1902 with 6!...OR...that germany schaffer was the only player to steal a base backwards...he once stole first base while he was already on second...true story...it is fun, yet important, that you do the research on the players as you are collecting their cards.

good luck...

Old 01-04-2007, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Holt

I'm adding one per month - have 83 and if I earn a bit more than expected maybe I'll hit 100 this year. Fortunately I have one of each of the HOFers except Wagner & Plank so I'm after east coast guys this year (Washington, Baltimore, Phillie). The closest player to a star I'm looking for in 07 is Cicotte.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Since June 2005 I have acquired 130 cards of the monster. Like you, I am trying to put together the portraits first. I think of my 130, 100 are portaits. Good luck.l

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Great idea Dave! Here are some of my PSA T206's... I am missing 15 or 20 that I haven't gotten onto the registry yet. As you know, I have quite an odd mix of grades in my collection.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Administrator

yeah Trae your killing me with how quick your adding cards. enjoy it while you can...that marriage thing and kids will slow it down.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Trae. Really nice! Keep it going. I will have some more lower grade dupes in the near future.
RayB

Old 01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Awesome, Ray, I would love a crack at them - thanks!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Progress on my SOVEREIGN-Only set has slowed down a bit. A complete set of this Tobacco brand comprises
about 404 cards. I now have 322 cards which include both Johnson's, two Cobb's, a Matty and a CYoung.

I thought this set would be easier & more affordable to complete, since the "big 6" and the 48 So Lgrs are
not needed. And furthermore, there are about 66 Subjects that were not printed with Sovereign backs.
But, I am discovering that Sovereign's are a lot tougher to find than I originally anticipated.

TED Z

Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Seems like for whatever reason here lately even the commons are selling for higher with the Soveriegns.....not sure why

Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator

...they seem like they are a more expensive, because they are alittle tuffer then SC & Pied...they can be lumped in with polar bear, cycle, am. beauty, etc...30% premium (+/-)...

hopefully everyone will not be posting their T206 collection here, or else this page will take forever to load

Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

I didn't acquire my first T206 (Johnny Bates) until early November '06. I figured it would be nice to have one for my collection. Little did I know I would eventually decide (early Dec.) to collect as much of the set as possible. Slowly but surely, I have acquired eight of them. Before the month ends, I hope to add approximately four more. Here is what I have so far:

MVSNYC:

Interesting that you mentioned learning the history of the players. To go along with my collection, I decided to type up little snippets about each player. I plan on adding a small pic of each card as well.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

I have recently purchased my 79th card which is good for about 15%. Only about 10 are graded, and I might grade most of them this coming year. I have been focusing on HOFers, and I have about 20 HOFers with some major ones like Johnson and Matty.

My main focus is for my cards to be crease free, thus they should grade between 3-6. It's a long slow process, but each card has a story to tell, and it really is the best set.

Jay Kaplan
T206kid

Old 01-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

I started collecting T206's last February, along with 33 and 34 Goudeys, CJ's, T205's, and Diamond Stars, plus some type cards and 49 Leaf's. Recently I have become obsessed with the T206's, and I am up to 63, mostly ungraded in Good through VG/EX. I am trying to be patient and slowly add cards to all of the sets, but I am seriously considering selling the 34 Goudeys, 49 Leafs, and the Diamond Stars so I can concentrate on T206, T205, CJ's, and 33 Goudeys.

Rick

Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard H.

I have been a "voyeur" of sorts of this board for the last 3 months. I've really enjoyed the discussions and have learned quite a bit about vintage cards. The banter and controversy has certainly been interesting as well.

Haven't really participated on the board, but I thought I would chime in now with my T206 set - have been slowly putting it together over the past 20 years. Am about 85% completed and making a push towards finishing it (minus the big 4). Would appreciate any help from board members in finding the last 80 or so cards I need.

http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=30632&alltime=no&rank=14&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

Best of luck to all in their pursuit to complete the monster - it really has been and continues to be a lot of fun for me.

Rich

Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott L

Dave
Great start to the set, you and I are in the same boat as far as grades and the number we have. The portrait theme looks really cool when they are all together.

Trae and Ted
What can I say, just some absolutely beautiful cards. Impressive is all I can say.

Scott

Old 01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mvsnyc

ryha-

nice set...you have been some tuff competition for me as of late (some 7's & 8's) on eBay.

i noticed you have a few 9's...are you willing to trade for them (7's & 8's)?

Michael

Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard H.

mvsnyc -
thanks for the compliment. seems like there is always a lot of competition for those 7's and 8's. Just trying to upgrade where I can.

As far as the 9's, I'm still holding on to those for now - may consider a trade for some psa 8 or 7 HOF or SLers.

Where is your set under the registry?

Rich

Old 01-05-2007, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I got these in the mail yesterday. Lots of nice upgrades

Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Nice...was that one lot or several purchases?

Old 01-05-2007, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I will probably be chastised but I contacted the seller to ask him if he had a buy-it-now on his 67 seperate listings. I hate when this happens to me when I am watching an auction, so I apologize to anyone on the board who was watching this auction. Over the last year or two, many auctions that I was prepared to bid on ended early, some with only an hour or so to go. I guess if you can't beat'em, join'em.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

Nice score, Martin! Ya keepin' all those?

I'm up to 285 cards, though there are some dupes in that total since I'm trying to get as many back types as I can of the St. Louis players. Plus I'll sometimes keep two or more cards of other players if one card has a tough back while the other has better eye appeal.

I've been working on the set for about 2 1/2 years now. I'm not sure if I have any real goals for '07, but unless I can land nice lots like Martin's, I'll probably try to focus on adding a few of the many major cards I'm missing more so than adding a large number commons.

http://imageevent.com/yawie99

Old 01-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

As you guys make progress on the white border set, something that is interesting is to sort them by team, and then alphabetically, as was done before Beckett. The old guys sorted cards by team, alphabetically.

If you do that, you can see one team at a glance. And the cards can be laid out by series. Put your series 150 Cubs at the top of a table top, then the series 350 and assorted under them, and then the 460s at the bottom of your field of vision. Then, you can visualize who had cards at the start, how many of those were portraits, how other players were added along with new poses for some of the stars... All of that is something that is totally missed by collectors who think of the cards in terms of #1 through #524 (or so).

This sorting is contrary to how guides and catalogs list them. But if you really look at the cards it makes more sense to sort the cards by teams then alphabetically, than it does to use the SCD or Beckett numbers. Sorting them by series makes more sense than sorting them by SCD or B. It is the distance in time that we are from the issuance of the cards, and the quantity of different cards that has modern collectors embracing a simple number system. And this isn't obvious to a collector unless they've tried the older sorting. Even Mr. Lipset set out the old Egan List first in his columns of the set listing, in his Encyclopedia.

Frank W.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I guess us older dudes think alike......and, interesting that you noted this method of of arranging
one's T206 cards, as that is how Bill Heitman did his checklist in his famous book.

Now....1st with my Piedmont set and now my Sovereign set, I have the cards in my albums in the
sequence that they were issued....the 150 series cards, then the 48-Southern Leaguers, followed
by all the 350 series cards, and finally the (48) 460-only series cards.

And, I am also working on a sub-set as a function of the teams, just like you have suggested.

TED Z

Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Some wonderful points. I am a huge advocate of enjoying the cards from the perspective of the original owner. Your sorting recommendations are great old school methodology.
I also like the little nuances of damage on a lot of the low grade cards. It tells me a story about how a cards journey might have transpired through the ages.
This set offers all of that.
It is also nice that it is a regular part of this Forum; almost its backbone with the regularity at which new threads appear to discuss it in so many different ways.
RayB

Old 01-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Besides the obvious...Wagner, Plank...O'Hara...and such...what are the opinions on the hardest cards to get? How about the hardest HOF to find after the big ones?? How about the toughest Southern Leaguer? Is there a toughest common?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Ryha-

"Sarno-Schuster T206 Collection"...this morning i just took down clark griffith port PSA 9 (1/1) & jim pastorius PSA 8 for a huge trade in the works...the set is hovering around # 48 now, but i have a ton of 7's & 8's that still have to be added...will probably jump into the 30's...but, i am less concerned about rankings, and more interested in putting together a high quality collection. take a look at my set, maybe we can work something out for your 9's (i have several high grade SLers and many other things you might be interested in)...

Dave-

when i started collecting T206 15 years ago, i strictly focused on tougher cards, i have since traded or sold all of my lower grade cards...HOFers are always around, some of them just get tougher to find in high grade (Bender, Beckley, etc)...SLers are all tougher than commons, i don't know that there are many that jump out as super tough, however, but check the PSA pop report (as a guide), and see how many of each card have been graded, you'll quickly see that there are 100's of each HOFer graded, whereas most SLers are in the 60's-80's...here is what i found to be tougher commons:

burch, batting
reulbach, glove
powers
lindaman
donlin, hands on knees
smith, chi & boston
kleinow, boston
dahlen, brooklyn
lundgren, chi
g. brown, chi
g. brown, wash
doc adkins

most of the above cards, were only printed in the first series, thus the scarcity...

Old 01-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...believe the pop reports are only marginally helpful. I think that Scot Reader's analysis of relative scarcity within T206 is spot on, and is based on available cards generally -- not which cards were graded by PSA. Obviously HOFers have more cards graded -- the higher value cards get graded first. I do, however, agree that the list of common players above is somewhat harder than many other commons.

Scot Reader's book can be downloaded here:

http://www.t206museum.com/shop/InsideT2063d.pdf

Old 01-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

#504 and 505 - a Mitchell (TOR w/Amer. Beauty) and an Overall (follow thru w/EPdG) are in the mail, so 2007 is off to a good start.
I am curious to know a couple of population figures on this set
1) What is the "active" population; that is the approximate number of cards in circulation at any given time. For instance, the Mitchell and Overall are now out and probably won't see the light of the market place for a long while. How many more of these cards, or any one card, are out there for sale?
2) What is the under the radar population? Of my 505, about 10 are graded and the remainder are all raw. How many collectors are similarly situated and what does that mean for the pop? I'm trying to remember what Scot and/or Art M. said about that.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

I just went through your entire set picture by picture, you have some fabulous looking low and mid grade cards. Congratulations.

I see my set taking a very similar shape grade wise so it's interesting to see what my set may look like when I get further along. Thanks for taking the time to scan those beauties.

Scott

Old 01-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Scott,
Thanks. Wasn't sure if folks were really doing that but thought I would link to my set anyway.
The PSA Registry is my way of giving back.
It's a checklist, and it's a way to be able to embrace my cards from the road.
It is also, foremost, a window for others to see the exact type of stuff that is available in low grade if they are patient and stay with it.
I appreciate your kind comments.
I love this set.
RayB

Old 01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Hello to All,

I have a group of Chicago Cubs T206 Sweet Caporal cigarettes that I am trying to determine a value on before listing on Ebay. They are in poor to fair condition, but they are nearly 100 years old. The first 2 cards are Schulte and M. Brown both on series of 150 backs. The Third is a Schulte with a back saying series of 350 - 460 subjects. As I stated, not great cards, but they are originals. I also have a T205 gold border of James Archer that I am trying to determine a value for alog with a 1950 Bowman card of Max Lanier. The Archer card is rough, but the Lanier card is nice. thanks for the help.

Ken

Old 01-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

is to start them at 99 cents and let them fly.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

505---how does it feel to be so near,Judson?
do you find yourself too eager to finish or slowing down a wee bit to
savor the 'end' of the journey?
i'm at around 475 now and am finally gaining a little patience in the savoring.
what is most amazing to me is that I learn something new about these
wonders most every week from this board.
Somehow, Scot's Wunder Buch opened a scholarly portal which i just had
not envisioned previously---primarily the import of backs and series progressions. The responses in terms of comparative collections based on backs, the well-crafted delineation of data available in the superset,
and the phenomenal growth in collegiality and shared research has absolutely amazed me over this past year. and now 2007!

all the best,

Barry

Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Dave

From another Dave, congrats on your T206 start. I was really lucky, one of those stories you wouldn't believe on ebay. My Mother-in-Law handed me a notebook from my late Father-in-Law. It containted about 500 T206, 50 T205, and 30 t210 cards. Of the T206, about 100 were duplicates. I've never sold any of those.

The idea was that I would figure out how to sell these and split the proceeds with my Brother-in-Law. I looked at them for about an hour and decided I couldn't sell them, but should instead complete the set.

I did that over the next 2 years, mostly on ebay. I am now only missing 6, the big 4 plus the 2 St Louis rarities. I know that I've bought a few that wouldn't stand grading due to trimming, but that's OK for now.

I've been just watching for the past year or so, and lurking on this site.

I just want to say what a thrill it is to add to this collection, one card at a time. I'm sure a larger add would be a bigger thrill, but I never did that.

Best of luck,

Dave

Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

I started about 1 year ago...started seriously pursuing about 6 months ago.

I have about 40 cards...mostly HOF'ers. With the sage advice of some collectors in this forum, i went after a lot of the big cards first...i have 3 of 4 cobbs and 2 of 3 mathewsons. Got some of the higher priced portraits out of the way as well.

I've come to a bit of a halt this past month because of bills (and with me dabbling with other sets, including the mighty pricey T3).

I'm hoping to get through a chunk of the HOF'ers this year.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

Barry (A)- it's been a tough haul for the last few. Since 1993 or so, I have all but stopped buying Piedmonts (only 1 SL and one Fact. 42 since) and Sweet Cap's (maybe 3 or 4). So the set is very diverse, but slow work. I'd love to knock the set off this year, but I wonder what I'll do next.. T205s anyone? Definitely mixed emotions about finishing the Monster tho...

Peace (to a point)

Judson