NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Somebody seriously needs to post an update on this whole mess. Since the FBI got involved, what exactly has changed?
Unless they can delve deeply into PSAs database and inner circle, nothing at all will change. Unless the FBI forces the change, you will see nothing positive or proactive that is done voluntarily. Dishonest people and corrupt entities do not instill change unless they are caught, and the change is forced upon them. Hell, PSA still won’t even admit there’s a problem brewing... despite the endless flood of altered numerically slabbed cards being exposed every day (with no hint of a slowdown in sight).

This hobby/business provides no voice for the consumer... it’s just the same hyperbole and lies from the controlling “powers that be”. Since the hypnotized majority wants status-quo, and the offending companies won’t come clean, the FBI represents our last hope for full disclosure and positive change. Please don’t let us down!

Last edited by perezfan; 09-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Jeff

"Don't rock the boat" and "Don't bite the hand" come to mind.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Unless they can delve deeply into PSAs database and inner circle, nothing at all will change. Unless the FBI forces the change, you will see nothing positive or proactive that is done voluntarily. Dishonest people and corrupt entities do not instill change unless they are caught, and the change is forced upon them. Hell, PSA still won’t even admit there’s a problem brewing... despite the endless flood of altered numerically slabbed cards being exposed every day (with no hint of a slowdown in sight).

This hobby/business provides no voice for the consumer... it’s just the same hyperbole and lies from the controlling “powers that be”. Since the hypnotized majority wants status-quo, and the offending companies won’t come clean, the FBI represents our last hope for full disclosure and positive change. Please don’t let us down!
Well, I recall reading somewhere that the FBI guys sometimes attend the Net54 Dinners and then afterwards they all play a few games of Musical Chairs. Maybe a few of them post on this forum? An update from one of them would be nice. The only guy who did comment on this whole thing was Lichtman, but he got ripped apart and I doubt he'll be discussing this subject here again. LOL
Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Well, I recall reading somewhere that the FBI guys sometimes attend the Net54 Dinners and then afterwards they all play a few games of Musical Chairs. Maybe a few of them post on this forum? An update from one of them would be nice. The only guy who did comment on this whole thing was Lichtman, but he got ripped apart and I doubt he'll be discussing this subject here again. LOL
There is zero chance an FBI agent is going to comment in public about an ongoing investigation, much less on a message board.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There is zero chance an FBI agent is going to comment in public about an ongoing investigation, much less on a message board.
Well, it's not terrorism we're talking about here or a murder case. It's just a bunch of effing idiots trimmmmmmmmiiiiing trimmmming cards and making lots and lots of moolah. But they've already been outed by BODA. By posting a simple update, I don't think it's going to jeopardize anything.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Yep.... we just need to wait it out, and see how the cards fall (pardon the pun). Will likely take months for the Feds to sort everything out, and perhaps another year before we see/hear anything concrete.

I'd actually prefer to wait a year, knowing they conducted a full and thorough investigation, than have a hasty/shallow investigation that leads only to a few refunds and hand-slaps. It's worth the wait, provided their findings lead to stern sentences, crackdowns on TPGs, and other forms of meaningful change.

Last edited by perezfan; 09-18-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

It can take years. See Mastro/Allen.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Lol.
Clct 28.49 usd +2.67 (10.34%)

Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Lol.
Clct 28.49 usd +2.67 (10.34%)
Wow !!! This one is to hot to chase....
Old 09-18-2019, 09:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Scandal? Nah. LOL. Joe is winning big.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-18-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:17 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Scandal? Nah. LOL. Joe is winning big.
Agree Peter...

Guys holding big money in cards in PSA holders along with the investors aren’t going to change their minds. It’s the big time players that influence or move this industry...All logically this makes sense/fundamentally I do not like the longer term outlook for high end.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree Peter...

Guys holding big money in cards in PSA holders along with the investors aren’t going to change their minds. It’s the big time players that influence or move this industry...All logically this makes sense/fundamentally I do not like the longer term outlook for high end.
As long as registry collectors don't care if they are defrauded it won't matter.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:24 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As long as registry collectors don't care if they are defrauded it won't matter.
Agree Leon....
Old 09-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
But high grade sets on the Registry have lost their luster. I just say “meh, big deal, they are all trimmed”.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I think the Registry People fall into 4 basic categories...

1. Those who only care about the number on the flip. It does not matter to them, that the card is proven altered. Their undying faith and love for PSA supersedes any common logic and indisputable proof of alteration. They do not even question how the card received its assigned grade. They just like to look at the number.

2. Those who are in denial. They don't think there is any scandal brewing. They poo-poo the concept of card doctoring, and do not think the "before and after" photos constitute proof of any wrongdoing. They cannot even admit that the two images are of the same exact card. To them, the PSA assigned grade is the word of God.

3. Those who emphatically state "NOT MY CARDS". They acknowledge the doctoring and alterations, and PSA's thousands of grading errors. But miraculously, none of these "mistakes" apply to their specific cards! They know for a fact that their cards are good... either they were graded before the scandal, or they were looked at by a second set of eyes, or they were purchased from a reputable dealer, blah blah blah.

4. Those who care deeply, and value the credibility and legitimacy of their collections. They do not want any altered cards residing in their collections, yet they have no knowledge of the corruption. If they knew they were sitting on tainted cards (and spent huge sums of money acquiring them), they would demand justice.

I believe that #4 constitutes the biggest group. It's just a tiny percentage of collectors who frequent these forums, and are aware of what's really happening. If there was a better way to spread awareness, there would be more outrage, call for change, and ultimately some much needed regulation.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Excellent thoughts. I remember well a poster here from a decade ago who, at least in his public stance, fit squarely into category 3.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:41 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think there is a 5) Those who believe many cards, including some of theirs, are altered but don't care, because all that matters is the number. They want that to be everyone's reality, and, to a degree in this hobby, it is.

Last edited by drcy; 09-19-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I think there is a 5) Those who believe many cards, including some of theirs, are altered but don't care, because all that matters is the number
I think that's category 1?

Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I think there is a 5) Those who believe many cards, including some of theirs, are altered but don't care, because all that matters is the number
Isn't that the same as #1?

Edited to add: Peter beat me to it while I was typing.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 09-19-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 PM
pete ullman

1 and 2 are pretty much the same to me?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Nobody knows how much "help" any given graded card has received. What we think we know is that it received the grade fairly, it is authentic, and it's scarcity can be approximated by pop reports and other data. The "value" if there is any in graded cards stems from their rarety. The "reveal" in the Blowout saga is that the doctors are mining mid-level graded cards to produce high(er)-level graded cards. This is very threatening to the TPG business model. I have to believe that PSA is scrambling now to prevent that going forward.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

As long a people keep buying the number on the flip...nothing to see here
Old 09-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good old Jim C.
Twenty thousand slabs and every one perfectly legit. And no creases on that Wagner. Both are accurate statements.

Quote:
Excellent thoughts. I remember well a poster here from a decade ago who, at least in his public stance, fit squarely into category 3.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:07 AM

Wonder how Mr. Crandall is doing in his quest for however many sets in PSA 8 or better that he was one? Is he still in the hobby? He used to be a frequent poster on here and the CU boards but I haven't seen anything from him in years.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Interesting post on Blowout about card-buyer.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1272

Cross-reference to post 427 above.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Interesting post on Blowout about card-buyer.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1272

Cross-reference to post 427 above.
WOW this is a new low. A dealer says a card is for their personal collection then turns around and sells it. Must be some kind of new thing we all need to look out for.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-22-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Here's a 2013 archived page where he claims he and his 9 year old son are passionate collectors.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130827...om/?page_id=32

1.WE ARE COLLECTORS just like you and have been buying cards since 1977 ….we are NOT DEALERS LOOKING TO RESELL YOUR CARDS AT A PROFIT. There is no need for a middle man looking to make money off your cards since we are purchasing for our own personal collection allowing us to offer more.

If memory serves, there was a thread last year about an email from PSA regarding the same person, again mentioning the apparently still 9 year old son.

EDIT TO ADD
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=cardbuyer

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Joe

Since this is an ongoing investigation whatever happened to the bogus autograph scandal? I don’t remember any charges. I thought there were people here who know who but seems like no matter how much evidence is brought to light nothing is done. Or maybe I missed something? Or is it still in the works?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Here's a 2013 archived page where he claims he and his 9 year old son are passionate collectors.

1.WE ARE COLLECTORS just like you and have been buying cards since 1977 ….we are NOT DEALERS LOOKING TO RESELL YOUR CARDS AT A PROFIT. There is no need for a middle man looking to make money off your cards since we are purchasing for our own personal collection allowing us to offer more.

If memory serves, there was a thread last year about an email from PSA regarding the same person, again mentioning the apparently still 9 year old son.

EDIT TO ADD
Are these the guys who put adds in big Papers Stating they will be at such and such hotel on such and such weekend buying card collections or are those different guys ?
Old 09-23-2019, 05:42 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:

EDIT TO ADD
I sure hope they will be successful in getting Rich's 9 year old son out of suspended animation.
http://cardbuyer.com/about-us
Old 09-23-2019, 07:40 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Are these the guys who put adds in big Papers Stating they will be at such and such hotel on such and such weekend buying card collections or are those different guys ?
Same guys...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:47 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:

EDIT TO ADD

Maybe now the naysayers on the old thread I started are seeing things differently???
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:44 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Same guys...

Ugh.....

Wonder if these guys have front row seats at the Newport Beach Top Secret Invitationals with the graders
Old 09-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...315750&page=51

and other pages on same the thread

Seriously. WTF is going on with PSA and this guy? What is the process here by which this is happening? I have spoken to dealers who have submitted high end vintage cards for a lifetime and haven't received as many 10s as this guy seems to get on a single submission. Some that can be traced to lower grade holders, some that can't.

This is really effed up, IMO.

Is there ever going to be a reckoning? Or is nobody ever going to bite the hand that feeds him?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-23-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:

Seriously. WTF is going on with PSA and this guy? What is the process here by which this is happening? I have spoken to dealers who have submitted high end vintage cards for a lifetime and haven't received as many 10s as this guy seems to get on a single submission. Some that can be traced to lower grade holders, some that can't.

Is there ever going to be a reckoning? Or is nobody ever going to bite the hand that feeds him?
PSA high grade, PSA 8 and above prices are going plummet....In my mind....it won’t be long.....it’s not a matter of if anymore......it’s when...that time is getting closer and closer. If law and order doesn’t handle it the lack of buyers will

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-23-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Still buying....
Old 09-23-2019, 06:13 PM

Peter, sounds like a good subject for another article. Things like this must get off the message boards and into the mainstream

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-23-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:15 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
PSA high grade, PSA 8 and above prices are going plummet....In my mind....it won’t be long.....it’s not a matter of if anymore......it’s when...that time is getting closer and closer. If law and order doesn’t handle it the lack of buyers will
Is it time to sell my only psa 10...a GRONK rookie??????
Old 09-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Peter, sounds like a good subject for another article. Things like this must get off the message boards and into the mainstream
Without someone with inside knowledge willing to break ranks with the machine, nothing in the public domain is going to help. It's a joke -- all the shit that's been exposed and the stock is way up and the submission queue has never been longer. My friend can't even get a card reholdered for me after THREE months. And so far, no one on the inside is breaking ranks, they're too busy feeding at the trough. PSA has it all figured out. Give Joe credit. The brand he built/solidified looks like it can withstand a nuclear attack.

Will law enforcement make a difference? We'll see.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-23-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Is it time to sell my only psa 10...a GRONK rookie??????
Yes ! Immediately
Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Without someone with inside knowledge willing to break ranks with the machine, nothing in the public domain is going to help. It's a joke -- all the shit that's been exposed and the stock is way up and the submission queue has never been longer. My friend can't even get a card reholdered for me after THREE months. And so far, no one on the inside is breaking ranks, they're too busy feeding at the trough. PSA has it all figured out. Give Joe credit. The brand he built/solidified looks like it can withstand a nuclear attack.

Will law enforcement make a difference? We'll see.
Peter I have confidence someone is gonna roll.....will open the flood gates....I know it’s disheartening hang in there...it’s gonna come back to bite them in their rear.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Hmmmm.... last Mile High had some controversy and cards taken down -- we'll see if there's any substance to this one (from BO).

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=5567

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-23-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 PM

I agree with Johnny to hang in there. You and BODA are making a difference - it’s a marathon not a sprint (or even a 10k), and the facts are on the side of right. Some change will come of this (I hope). We need a more honest “hobby”, and I feel strongly that recent and continued efforts will help push the hobby in that direction. Forward!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

And to think guys like this scammer are like ANTS. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. This just one of a handful that is caught. There are 50 others for every one outed and that's conservative, IMHO.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Peter I have confidence someone is gonna roll.....will open the flood gates....I know it’s disheartening hang in there...it’s gonna come back to bite them in their rear.
Maybe Fred will Roll?

https://youtu.be/5haMVR5my-s?t=71
Old 09-24-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Even if you go to his web page, there is no information as to who he (they) really are or where they are even located. You have to contact them first via email....

Ricky Y
Old 09-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Elsewhere on the thread their names and locations have been identified.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here is my question for anyone who really believes that PSA is corrupt: what are you doing about it?
--Still submitting cards?
--Still selling PSA product?
--Still collecting PSA product?
--Still have a PSA Collectors Club membership?
--Still have PSA registry sets?

Why not start to take a stand by resigning your PSA CC membership and deleting your registry sets? Or start a public boycott of PSA services and products? Complaining on a chat board about this purportedly corrupt entity isn't principled in and of itself, it is just whining.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-25-2019, 10:04 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Here is my question for anyone who really believes that PSA is corrupt: what are you doing about it?
--Still submitting cards?
--Still selling PSA product?
--Still collecting PSA product?
--Still have a PSA Collectors Club membership?
--Still have PSA registry sets?

Why not start to take a stand by resigning your PSA CC membership and deleting your registry sets? Or start a public boycott of PSA services and products? Complaining on a chat board about this purportedly corrupt entity isn't principled in and of itself, it is just whining.
YES! Totally agree!!! But my livelihood doesn't depend on PSA.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

So moving forward, cover-ups, corruption and deceit should be the hobby norm?

It's like a vape store saying they're sticking by their product because their business model depends on it. Never mind the fact that people are now dying. Sad state of affairs.

Last edited by perezfan; 09-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.