NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W, etc..) B/S/T

Old 02-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Default **ENDED** - 1910s Ty Cobb Real Photo Premium

Posted By: Joe D.

Sale ends: Sunday 9PM Eastern, February 25.
Best offer submitted by then takes it.

** Update: I received at least one or more offers. That means this item will definitely be sold tonight at 9PM. Submit your offer for a chance to purchase it.

EDIT: From reviewing the item with a current bidder, I noticed a small piece of clear tape on the back supporting the creased area. I did not notice this tape before. I am posting it here - and will let also email any current or future person who makes an offer to let them know of this description change.

This is one of my first really tough decisions (in spending too much money).

For Sale - 1910s Ty Cobb Real Photo Oldsmobile Premium.
This is a 5" x 7" Real Photograph Premium from the 1910s.
For any Ty Cobb collector, this is a very cool addition to the collection.
This is the only example of this item I have seen.

An absolutely awesome, sharp photograph of Ty Cobb, in uniform, on a baseball field with his Oldsmobile.

There is a crease that goes along the top left corner. There is some writing on the back.
Paper is photograph paper (thinner than a postcard).

Addition:
Here is the description of this item from Henry Yee

DESCRIPTION
A RARE and UN-Catalogued, circa 1910's advertising photo premium featuring Ty Cobb of the Detroit Tigers. Measuring 5" x 7", the blank-back card is a REAL photograph (similar to a real photo postcard) and featuring an ornate border surrounding the absolutely amazing crystal clear, razor sharp detail image of Cobb posing with an Oldsmobile. Some pen notations on the reverse and a crease on the upper left on an otherwise beautiful photographic piece. Possibly issued as a premium or an advertising piece for Oldsmobile or a dealership, one thing is for sure, is that it is Guaranteed VINTAGE and ORIGINAL from the 1910's period. A Superb Item, you might never see another !

front scan:

back scan:

close up of cobb:

Since I received more than one email about this item a while back - I figured I will try what I think would be a fair way to sell an item when more than one person is interested. Not exactly an auction, and not exactly a rush to post-and-purchase listing.

I am offering it up here as a 'best offer takes it'.

Email offers before Sunday night 9PM Eastern, and the top offer will take it.

The rules:
edit to rules: Feel free to cancel, reduce, increase any offer made. As long as the correspondence gets to me before the sale is over, I see no problem with offer modifications/cancellations - especially since each offer is kept private and should not effect offers made by others.

1) Minimum offer $500.

2) Email offers to joe@internetville.com - I will reply to each offer acknowledging receipt.

3) Edited: Posts not mandatory, but are suggested - Post here that an offer was emailed. I have had email trouble - so a post will at least assure that your intention to send an offer is there. If I do not receive the corresponding email, I will post in a timely manner (and possibly an alternate email address will be given). After the sale ends on Sunday Night, if an email offer was not recieved (due to email troubles) - and there is no post to show the offer intention... we are both out of luck. I will reply to emails acknowledging receipt - so if you sent an offer and did not receive an acknowledment - please post that an offer was sent so as to avoid controversy/hard feelings after the sale ends.

4) In case of a tie, first bid of top amount gets it. I will check posts and emails and try to determine who was first. This is another reason it is a good idea to post that an offer was sent.

5) All bids must be in before 9PM Eastern on Sunday, February 25.

6) Shortly after 9pm, I will contact the person who submitted the highest offer.

7) To be fair to all that send in an offer, I will not answer "what is the high offer so far" type emails. All other questions are welcome.

8) Insured delivery included.

9) PayPal add 3%.

(many edits to change the "days left" in the Message Title - instead of many bumps. This will get bumped on the last day.)

Old 02-24-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Just 2 days left to get an offer in.

A bunch of info (description from Henry Yee)
and an additional scan added to the original post (see original post).

since this is a timed thing... I will bump this one more time on the last day

offers must be in by Sunday 9pm Eastern.

Regards,
Joe

Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

Joe-
This is a superb piece, alas I'm broke and not a Cobb collector. But I do think I can date your photo for you and give some more background to help (and perhaps boost the value of the piece):

In 1910, Cobb and Lajoie were embroiled in one of the tightest races for a batting title ever in the AL. Cobb won by a hair despite some fishy business on the part of Lajoie on the last day of the season, and for his effort he won a Chalmers "30" sportscar. Is this shot definitely an Oldsmobile? I really think that might be the car pictured in your photo premium (is anyone a car nut and can confirm this?), and in this case, this is a celebratory shot in Detroit after Cobb's victorious 1910 Batting Title. Great piece.

Edited to add: You can read about this in Charles Alexanders' great Cobb biography, recommended...

Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

One bump for the last day to get in offers. Ends tonight.

** Update: I received at least one or more offers via email. That means this item will definitely be sold. After 9PM tonight (Eastern), person with highest offer submitted will be awarded this awesome Cobb item. Submit your offer for a chance to purchase it.

(see original post in thread for full information. Seth - thanks for your post... very cool info.)

Regards,
Joe