NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If this bothers you so much, maybe you should sell your collection and enjoy your life. Or buy art. For me, I enjoy cards. I have had far more ups than downs. I try to learn from my mistakes. I am content with how I am collecting. If I wasn't, I would sell out. Life is too short.
I have no idea where this comment comes from or what it means. This is a discussion about the future. When did I say I cared if the money dried up? I'm simply discussing what I think the future holds. My cards could fall to nothing and I'd be happy about it. I could then buy any card I want.

And for the last time, what does art have to do with baseball cards?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I have no idea where this comment comes from or what it means. This is a discussion about the future. When did I say I cared if the money dried up? I'm simply discussing what I think the future holds. My cards could fall to nothing and I'd be happy about it. I could then buy any card I want.

Please fall, I do not have enough Ty Cobbs...
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Bruce C.

I am still looking for a reasonably priced Chilly Beanie Baby for my daughter.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM

An idea was floated above that these threads get started out of fear. That sounds right. But if your hobby is making you afraid, something has gone wrong. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.

For my part, I don't know what the baseball card market is going to do, but I sincerely hope for a sharp drop. I'd be happy to buy Ruths and Gehrigs all day, once their prices fall enough that they cost "just for fun" money and not "double check to make sure that I can make the car payment" money.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
An idea was floated above that these threads get started out of fear. That sounds right. But if your hobby is making you afraid, something has gone wrong. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.

For my part, I don't know what the baseball card market is going to do, but I sincerely hope for a sharp drop. I'd be happy to buy Ruths and Gehrigs all day, once their prices fall enough that they cost "just for fun" money and not "double check to make sure that I can make the car payment" money.
Ah, but there are so many of you pure collectors for the moment that it wouldn't be long before their prices started rising at a substantial rate again! Simply demand vs supply once more reaching their natural equilibrium again. Which is a good thing!

Best to all,

Larry
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I have no idea where any of your posts are coming from.This thread started with the OP posting his opinion and you posting your doom and gloom vision of the hobby followed by a bunch of people disagreeing with you. Your negativity isn't going to change people's minds. Just agree to disagree.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I have no idea where any of your posts are coming from.This thread started with the OP posting his opinion and you posting your doom and gloom vision of the hobby followed by a bunch of people disagreeing with you. Your negativity isn't going to change people's minds. Just agree to disagree.
Again, I'm lost. Plenty of people brought up what the future holds for the hobby. In fact, it's a topic frequently discussed. I'm not trying to change your mind. I don't care what you do with your cards. I'm sharing my opinions because I'm a collector who has thought about these things too.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Again, I'm lost. Plenty of people brought up what the future holds for the hobby. In fact, it's a topic frequently discussed. I'm not trying to change your mind. I don't care what you do with your cards. I'm sharing my opinions because I'm a collector who has thought about these things too.
In the second half of the 80s, multi-millionaires and billionaires entered the hobby. People who own their own companies, some who own sports teams. Dealers called them "whales." It doesn't matter that baby boomers are dying off. Your posts and negativity make no sense. This thread is about Heritage Platinum Night and the prices their auction brings. The top 1% is the primary audience for this auction, not baby boomers or your average collector. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 5 millions average collectors, it won't change these prices at all.

Barring a complete collapse of the US economy, this dynamic is never changing. There will always be super rich. There will always be sports. The hobby will be fine. The number of people watching baseball has been on the decline over the last ~20 years. Yet still salaries continue to rise. Values of franchises continue to rise. Values of quality cards and collectibles like in Heritage will continue to rise. Your collapse is not happening.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
In the second half of the 80s, multi-millionaires and billionaires entered the hobby. People who own their own companies, some who own sports teams. Dealers called them "whales." It doesn't matter that baby boomers are dying off. Your posts and negativity make no sense. This thread is about Heritage Platinum Night and the prices their auction brings. The top 1% is the primary audience for this auction, not baby boomers or your average collector. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 5 millions average collectors, it won't change these prices at all.

Barring a complete collapse of the US economy, this dynamic is never changing. There will always be super rich. There will always be sports. The hobby will be fine. The number of people watching baseball has been on the decline over the last ~20 years. Yet still salaries continue to rise. Values of franchises continue to rise. Values of quality cards and collectibles like in Heritage will continue to rise. Your collapse is not happening.
I think you're right. What I DO see being negatively impacted are complete set collectors. I mainly see older folks building sets but younger collectors who transition toward vintage are gravitating toward singles. A-list Hall of Famers (Mantle, Koufax, Clemente, Aaron, Mays, Williams, etc.) will be fine but mid-grade Hall of Famers will see a dip, IMO.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I think you're right. What I DO see being negatively impacted are complete set collectors. I mainly see older folks building sets but younger collectors who transition toward vintage are gravitating toward singles. A-list Hall of Famers (Mantle, Koufax, Clemente, Aaron, Mays, Williams, etc.) will be fine but mid-grade Hall of Famers will see a dip, IMO.
I agree. I used to be a hard core set collector, NEVER collected singles. Ive had complete or partial sets of n28, n300, FC, 33/34G, 40PB, 53-59T, 48/49B, e120, e121, 14 CJs, 15 CJs, t205s and a few others. I have only my n28 set left intact...I have evolved into the single card guy...although I am working on a pc796 set so I guess it never completely dies.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm getting tired of this Chicken Little crap.

I've been collecting since I was a kid and odds are that my family will be opening eBay packages the day after my funeral. Last week I bought a 100+ year old card and a 2017 card. As long as there are cards to collect and I have the ability to do so, I'm in it, and I suspect that many other collectors are the same way. We don't really care whether the 'market' is stratospheric on PSA whatevers because we are passionate about collecting, not 'investing'.

This is supposed to be fun, a hobby, a pastime. If you really worry that the hobby is going to the grave with the boomers, sell your stuff and get out. If you can't handle the idea of your cards losing value, sell your stuff and get out. Then you can stop bothering the rest of us with the money anxiety that many of us really don't care about.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-22-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I've been collecting since I was a kid and odds are that my family will be opening eBay packages the day after my funeral. Last week I bought a 100+ year old card and a 2017 card. As long as there are cards to collect and I have the ability to do so, I'm in it, and I suspect that many other collectors are the same way. We don't really care whether the 'market' is stratospheric on PSA whatevers because we are passionate about collecting, not 'investing'.

This is supposed to be fun, a hobby, a pastime. If you really worry that the hobby is going to the grave with the boomers, sell your stuff and get out. If you can't handle the idea of your cards losing value, sell your stuff and get out. Then you can stop bothering the rest of us with the money anxiety that many of us really don't care about.
So, how do you really feel Adam?

Well said sir.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:

I've been collecting since I was a kid and odds are that my family will be opening eBay packages the day after my funeral. Last week I bought a 100+ year old card and a 2017 card.
Love it!!!! Yesterday I got in an 1887 Chicago baseball currency and a 1992 Little Sun Jeter sealed team set.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:21 PM

While not baseball card specific, pretty interesting article on collectible investment that could be a factor in the recent ascent of prices.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...154436529.html
Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:

+1
Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sometimes you gotta say WTF
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

Based on this post, I have one question:

Adam - while I do realize it's a little late in the game, but, would your family be willing to adopt me? I'm 62 and fat, but I am house-broken.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM

Gee, this thread is amazing how it blew up. People have various opinions and reasons for their opinions, thats ok. But take it easy you guys. Look, if you think the market will go up, buy more. If you think the market will go down, sell.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

Adam - while I do realize it's a little late in the game, but, would your family be willing to adopt me? I'm 62 and fat, but I am house-broken.

Get in line...I’m 45 and “stocky”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

Sorry I maxed out my adopting tolerance when we got Giselle (dog) and Heimao (cat).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-25-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Matt

Quote:

Blam.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

As the thread bearer for this eclectic narrative, I was optimistic for the future of our segment of the hobby when reading that the younger generations, which sadly does not include me anymore, are into pre-war cards and are just waiting for more disposable income to enhance their collections. I hadn't realized this was the case and was gratified to learn it.