NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Default T-206 Wagner PSA Question

Posted By: DD

Hi,
I was perusing the T206 set registry, and noticed Steve Soloway has the only PSA graded complete set. I was curious about his Wagner, but found something strange while I was looking. Steve has a PSA 2, and it indicates there is no Wagner graded higher than that.

Most likely this is an error, or explained by something I can't think of. On the other hand, how wild would it be if the latest owner of the card cracked it?

Can anyone who is familiar with the POP reports clarify this?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

I believe the current owner of "The Card" did crack it (well, he/she probably did not do it themselves) and got it re-slabbed without the Gretzky/McNall name on it.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

regardless how "the card" is now slabbed...there are a few others inbetween a "2" and "the card"...

scott ireland owns the PSA 5 example. and i do believe there is a 3 and a 4...

maybe someone can check the pop report quick...

Old 12-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Wagner Pop report:
1-2 3-4 5
HONUS WAGNER 21 4 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 26

HONUS WAGNER PSA 8 Gretsky/Mcnall

Be well Brian

Old 12-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

In addition to the 26 T206 Wagner cards graded without respect to back type, as listed by Brian, PSA shows 2 additional examples graded 1-2 with Sweet Caporal back. These would be under the new system that labels the slabs (and compiles the pop stats) by back type. Steve Soloway's PSA 2 is probably one of these Sweet Caporal Wagners, which would explain why his Wagner card entry in his T206 set listing in the set registry shows that there are none graded higher.

(PSA's mixture of generic back and back-specific population stats for T206 is very confusing. At the set registry luncheon at the National last year people were grilling PSA's Joe Orlando about this problem; he didn't really have an answer but said something about hoping that people would send in their old slabs to be re-holdered under the new system, so that over time the back-specific data would represent more of the total population.)

SGC shows 2 10's (PSA 1), 1 30 (PSA 2), and 2 40's (PSA 3).

GAI's web site is back up and running but I don't see any population reports. I do remember seeing a Wagner in a GAI holder at some point; I think maybe it was a GAI 3.5 (VG+).

Beckett hasn't graded any T206 Wagners.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

eric- the GAI 3.5 was put into an SGC 40 (3) holder...it used to be frank nagy's.

i am surprised that SGC has only grade just a few wagners, i thought they have slabbed more...

Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's interesting that PSA has only graded two cards above a 2, and that there are at least a couple of raw ones out there that would easily surpass everything graded to this point (except the 8). You would think the better ones would have found their way into a slab.

Edited to add I know one that has been graded and I am pretty certain it is a PSA 5...so why doesn't it show up on the pop report? That's one of the reasons why I am leery of the whole pop report phenomenon. I think some important information at times is left out.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

barry, you read brian's pop report wrong...

1-2 = 21
3-4 = 4
5 = 1
8 = 1

Old 12-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I'm very surprised the backs were not fully identified since day one at PSA and SGC. It's such a big part of collecting T206.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Michael- maybe I misread it.

It reads 21-4-1 followed by all zeros. I assumed that means 21 graded 1, four graded 2, and one graded 3. So where is the 5?

Okay, I see it now. He mixed 1-2 together, and 3-4 together. Got it!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

oh barry...did you have your cheerios this morning?

please go back up to brian's post and see how there are dashes in between 1-2...3-4? psa pop report groups 1-2's & 3-4's

1-2 = 21
3-4 = 4
5 = 1
8 = 1

Old 12-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Barry -- as Michael said, PSA does not distinguish between 1 and 2, or between 3 and 4, in their population reports. They group these together. Brian reported it just the way it shows up on the PSA web site. Obviously this is not an ideal way to roll up the stats when you're looking at something like a T206 Wagner, where the difference between a 3 and a 4, for example, is enormous. For something like 1960's Topps, where probably 95% of the cards are graded 5 or higher, it probably makes pretty good sense to do it that way, to save space or whatever.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Raisin Bran...I had Cheerios yesterday.

I think I am becoming the Cheerios kid!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Shepherd

One of those PSA 3's on the pop report has been cracked and regraded by SGC, which garnered a 40 (3) as well. The pop numbers will be less valid as time goes on.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

It also seems silly to lump 1-2 together, when a 2 adds 50K value, and likewise lump a 3-4, when a 4 might add 100K value. Knowing which is which seems awfully relevant.

I don't know about these pop numbers...

Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Barry -- as I just said, the differences in the lower grades is very relevant for something like a T206 Wagner, but not so relevant for most of what PSA grades. That is probably why they chose to group the lower grade data together. They were probably trying to save space (i.e. the number of columns) in the pop reports. I would prefer that they just show the data for all of the grades for everything, and find a way to fit it all in, but that is not what they chose to do.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Dave H. -- SGC does distinguish T206's by back type (on the slabs and in their pop reports), and as far as I know they have always done it that way. Their pop reports also show the totals in each grade across all back types, which is useful for those who don't care about backs.

PSA only recently started doing holdering by back type, and now they have a mess, at least as far as pop reports go, because of the mixture of the two different schemes in use at different times. Maybe they should adopt a hierarchical pop report scheme, like SGC uses, that allows you to see the totals for all backs as well as the individual back stats. For PSA this would still be confusing, since the back stats wouldn't sum to the totals (i.e. the totals would still include the old generic back data), but it would be better than what they have now.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Eric, I agree with you. These numbers are pretty important at all grades so why not figure out a way to show them all? What is most troubling about the pop reports, obviously, is that due to the crack outs/resubmissions, etc. the numbers are certainly higher than what reality is. Considering how the values of cards go up as the pop numbers go down, a false reading will cause the value of a particular card at a particular grade to go down due to the falsely inflated number, perhaps to never recover. Other than typos, you don't have situations where the pop reports underrepresent the population of a card at a particular grade. It's a shame that such an important factor on certain significant cards might be forever skewed, thus forever falsely impacting values.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Jeff- that's why I have always taken pop reports with a grain of salt. You can't always be sure what you are reading is accurate.

I also think the pop report is being abused in many cases. I just saw a listing, and I don't want to name the seller because he's a good guy ( and others probably know my reference), but he described a card as follows:

"One of only twelve copies graded a 2, with only five graded higher."

Please give me a break...now I know I am buying one of the seventeen highest graded by PSA, and when you factor in SGC, GAI, and raw examples, I may be the proud owner of the 28th finest known copy.

I think the pop report information should be used only in cases where it suggests the offered example is among the highest graded.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Yes Jeff and Barry, and to compound the problem, it is undoubtedly the more valuable cards that get cracked out and re-submitted the most, because of the higher economic stakes involved.

I think the pop reports are still useful, though, to get a feeling for the relative scarcity of various cards within a set. But it is certainly dangerous, say if the report says there are 5 examples in a certain grade, to take that figure literally.

<edited grammar>

Old 12-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Barry, one seller will list his cards this way: "PSA 3 1 of 2". Of course, failing to mention that there are 19 cards graded higher in PSA. I suppose literally "1 of 2" is accurate -- within the grade of PSA 3.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I may have been thinking of pose ID's when I posted about SGC. I do recall having trouble with their pop reports in ID'ing cards such as Elberfeld Portrait-Wash. Then again, I am sometimes a total Dexter.....might have been my bad.