NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default FBI was at National

Dropping off subpoenas with Brent’s name on them.
Hope they had time to get a few autographs.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Chr$stopher Pett$

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrov...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Old 08-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Eric Bea.chley

For us non-lawyers, does that mean the subpoenas went to Brent or to other dealers/AHs?
Old 08-04-2019, 03:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

One was also helping to recover altered cards at the PWCC booth, according to this post:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1310214
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Hope they stopped by PSA as well for basically stealing money since inception
Old 08-04-2019, 03:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
For us non-lawyers, does that mean the subpoenas went to Brent or to other dealers/AHs?
The latter.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Joe Orlando reached for comment described the FBI guys as “Negative Nancy’s”.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Did he ask for civil discourse?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
No, it was "nattering nabobs of negativity." Of course, the subpoena to him was addressed to "Woodface Asshat" so the love is mutual.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-04-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
No, it was "nattering nabobs of negativity." Of course, the subpoena to him was addressed to "Woodface Asshat" so the love is mutual.
You're just bitter because you weren't invited to drink the Kool Aid and kiss the ring at the Set Registry Lunch, I bet. Wait, make that, Luncheon.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You're just bitter because you weren't invited to drink the Kool Aid and kiss the ring at the Set Registry Lunch, I bet. Wait, make that, Luncheon.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...f-nscc-events/

"Agents have also been gathering information from those authentication and grading firms over the past several weeks."

Nice to see that "Mr. Never Get Cheated" is getting subpoenaed as well as Brent Mastro, the conservationist. it's a very good thing PSA is doing their own investigation. It's a regular riot over there.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-04-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...f-nscc-events/

"Agents have also been gathering information from those authentication and grading firms over the past several weeks."

Nice to see that "Mr. Never Get Cheated" is getting subpoenaed as well as Brent Mastro, the conservationist. it's a very good thing PSA is doing their own investigation. It's a regular riot over there.
OJ is still looking for the real killer too.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If the FBI is just going after PWCC we are doomed in this industry

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-04-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I sadly concur. It won't solve anything any more than putting Doug and Bill in jail solved anything. If he even goes to jail. The whole tree is f***ed up, not just that branch.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I sadly concur. It won't solve anything any more than putting Doug and Bill in jail solved anything. If he even goes to jail. The whole tree is f***ed up, not just that branch.
Peter sadly that’s exactly where I think we are headed with this……
Old 08-04-2019, 05:24 PM

Go BODA!! Keep up the great work and pressure. Clearly it is having some effect. And us collectors are hugely indebted. You guys rock. Sincere thanks
Old 08-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Banned

speaking of mastro, all of his supporters will be happy to know that he hosted an outing at the white sox game Tuesday night, the night before the National kicked off.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Guys, the bread crumbs are easy to follow. I wrote the post about returning the card to the FBI. In addition, I was able to track down 1 of the 5 ebay guys with like literally 15 minutes of work.

If they want this to extend, the whole book is out there if you take my personal experience and multiply it by 50 people who were also scammed and presented evidence. It would take the mosaic theory and turn it into the smoking guns theory.

I for one am really curious how the guy that sold me the card shakes out. He sure was selling a lot more cards at The National than he had in years past....and his inventory is multiple 7-figures by my best guess.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
Guys, the bread crumbs are easy to follow. I wrote the post about returning the card to the FBI. In addition, I was able to track down 1 of the 5 ebay guys with like literally 15 minutes of work.

If they want this to extend, the whole book is out there if you take my personal experience and multiply it by 50 people who were also scammed and presented evidence. It would take the mosaic theory and turn it into the smoking guns theory.

I for one am really curious how the guy that sold me the card shakes out. He sure was selling a lot more cards at The National than he had in years past....and his inventory is multiple 7-figures by my best guess.
Insiders like that are pretty secure, I would think. And remember, we should all be having fun.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post

Scott, you’re connecting dots that aren’t there. I’m sorry you bought a bad card, and I hope you get your money back quickly, but your issue is with Moser/PWCC, not the dealer you reference.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:43 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Go BODA!! Keep up the great work and pressure. Clearly it is having some effect. And us collectors are hugely indebted. You guys rock. Sincere thanks
agreed
Old 08-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Scott, you’re connecting dots that aren’t there. I’m sorry you bought a bad card, and I hope you get your money back quickly, but your issue is with Moser/PWCC, not the dealer you reference.
As I said in my post, I am curious how things play out. The market and transaction data is opaque. I will leave it to the investigation to make my final determination....hence my curiosity. I make no claims of guilt or innocence, just a claim of interest in how the investigation goes.

Good luck to all.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:15 PM

Default FBI was at the National.

They're a regular attendee.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

I do hope part of the investigation will include the millions of dollars of "sales" reported by PWCC but not found the ebay market research tool, which removes unpaid transactions. I think a decision has been made not to specifically identify the names of the winning bidders associated with those transactions (though it wasn't hard to figure out some), but obviously if that information matters to the investigators it will be in the records.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
There were 6 agents there, if I am not mistaking. I don't think they were there for coffee and donuts either.

Last edited by Leon; 08-05-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-05-2019, 05:54 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Missing Transactions

Quote:
I do hope part of the investigation will include the millions of dollars of "sales" reported by PWCC but not found the ebay market research tool, which removes unpaid transactions.
If you buy from PWCC next week and take advantage of one of their options, Pay by Check, for example, eBay continues to treat the item as though it is unpaid, presumably because eBay can only "see" transactions funded through eBay/Paypal. It may be the case that eBay eventually "removes those as unpaid". Why couldn't this or a similar scenario explain the "unseemly phenomena" that you are pointing at?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:33 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
If you buy from PWCC next week and take advantage of one of their options, Pay by Check, for example, eBay continues to treat the item as though it is unpaid, presumably because eBay can only "see" transactions funded through eBay/Paypal. It may be the case that eBay eventually "removes those as unpaid". Why couldn't this or a similar scenario explain the "unseemly phenomena" that you are pointing at?
George, if the seller gets paid by check, he clicks the "paid" button which advises ebay that the lot is paid for.
If not the buyer will get repeated emails from ebay to pay for the lot.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:38 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
So much so now that they don't have to pay and get rewards points...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
George, if the seller gets paid by check, he clicks the "paid" button which advises ebay that the lot is paid for.
If not the buyer will get repeated emails from ebay to pay for the lot.
And I would assume that unless these sales were actually cancelled by Brent, the "buyers" would have received strikes and since many of them did this many times eventually been banned?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
This. Nice post, George.

Hopefully the real investigators can ascertain those who happen to pay by check, wire, credit, consignments, etc., or any other means that might explain the "data" so that amateurs like Scott don't have to make harmful insinuations.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Tony Conte

Quote:
This. Nice post, George.

Hopefully the real investigators can ascertain those who happen to pay by check, wire, credit, consignments, etc., or any other means that might explain the "data" so that amateurs like Scott don't have to make harmful insinuations.
Thank goodness for the so called amateurs. Without them doing the good work
on blow out it would be the same old same old. I'm sure some of these transactions
can be explained, but 7 million? At least now with all the work done by the
amateurs, the pros can head in the right direction. Something seems off
to me especially after seeing the list of unpaid high dollar cards with the
same id. Could it be wire payments? Possibly. But now the pros can do some
easy digging. Add it to the pile of poop to go through.

Last edited by aconte; 08-05-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
on blow out it would be the same on same old. I'm sure some of these transactions
I don't like coincidences. To me it's awfully coincidental that so many of the transactions identified as being unpaid by the tool on PWCC's own website are the very same ones I and others were expressing disbelief at in 2016. And it's awfully coincidental that some of the individuals who were the high bidders on these cards are the same ones who, by Brent's admission (if only privately), were the ones "pushing" the market to use his term.

I also don't understand why, even with a different form of payment, Brent would not have marked the transactions as paid, if in fact they were. It cannot be the case that ebay reports every transaction as unpaid (and presumably collects no fees) every time a buyer pays other than by PAYPAL.

All that said, of course ultimately it's up to the FBI to figure this out definitively, if it's part of what they are investigating.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-05-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Tim Zwick

Quote:
This. Nice post, George.

Let's also all hope then that these "real investigators" you speak of can explain the data to us amateurs of how by not claiming millions of dollars of completed sales in itself would not be considered a fraudulent offense by depriving eBay of the final value fees they are due on each and every one of those sales. Fraud is still fraud, no matter who you commit it against.

Recommended Net54 Members with completed successful dealings: danmckee, whiteymet, jgmp123, seyhey24, quinnsryche, Greenmonster, vintagechris, BigSix, bobbyw8469, jdl7860, brian29575, jcmtiger, Paul S, Andy Sandler, SteveMitchell, tiger8mush, Lordstan, smrtn240, Gobucsmagic74, boysblue, timn1, Cards2121, grandcards, eastonfalcon19, drumback, Jacklitsch + dozens more......Thank you all!

CURRENTLY SELLING
Old 08-05-2019, 09:15 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
I don't like coincidences. To me it's awfully coincidental that so many of the transactions identified as being unpaid by the tool on PWCC's own website are the very same ones I and others were expressing disbelief at in 2016. And it's awfully coincidental that some of the individuals who were the high bidders on these cards are the same ones who, by Brent's admission (if only privately), were the ones "pushing" the market to use his term.

I also don't understand why, even with a different form of payment, Brent would not have marked the transactions as paid, if in fact they were. It cannot be the case that ebay reports every transaction as unpaid (and presumably collects no fees) every time a buyer pays other than by PAYPAL.

All that said, of course ultimately it's up to the FBI to figure this out definitively, if it's part of what they are investigating.
Also people are consigning to PWCC due to their sales history.....
Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
on blow out it would be the same old same old. I'm sure some of these transactions
Tony: the amateurs on BODA are providing clear-cut evidence. Incredible work. Scott, the amateur, is leaning into conjecture and arriving at unsupported insinuations. Big difference.

And for the record, I'm not trying to explain away the whole lot of unpaid transactions. I'm just providing an alternative explanation for one of those buyers with a small percentage of those transactions.

Like Peter, I hope the FBI turns over every stone and publishes (a la Mastro-list) the complete rundown of illegal activity in this hobby. But until that happens, I'll personally refrain from positing unsubstantiated claims and I would hope other smart people would take a similar approach.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

Absolutely grateful for the vigilance of these collectors. What a difference it was visiting PSA over near the toilets (how appropriate) with their snarky and lying faces. Then going over to the competition, who bent over backwards to accommodate my questions and actually guarantee my cards would be ready by Sunday (they were ready Saturday).

PSA insisted they would mail them if they weren't ready - which I insisted I did not want, this is why I am bringing them all the way in person. PSA demanded I know what my cards would grade and exactly what value. How the hell should I know? That is why graders are paid, right? They kept telling me it will be upcharged. Well, never, ever again until I see jail time for Someone at PSA.

BTW - anyone want to buy my PSA cards? Lol. They have great resale value, I'm told.
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469

Last edited by Copa7; 08-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Michael Durrett
Banned

WOW so stoked to see some Justice coming down the pike!
MD
Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
This. Nice post, George.

Paying like that is all good but even IF PWCC got paid for in that way eBay did not get paid. At least they are/were screwing everyone.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Tony: the amateurs on BODA are providing clear-cut evidence. Incredible work. Scott, the amateur, is leaning into conjecture and arriving at unsupported insinuations. Big difference.

And for the record, I'm not trying to explain away the whole lot of unpaid transactions. I'm just providing an alternative explanation for one of those buyers with a small percentage of those transactions.

Like Peter, I hope the FBI turns over every stone and publishes (a la Mastro-list) the complete rundown of illegal activity in this hobby. But until that happens, I'll personally refrain from positing unsubstantiated claims and I would hope other smart people would take a similar approach.
That's redicciciciculous, I want opinions here, not facts. Opinions from like mind individuals have a way of trickling down to facts. Coincidences are evidence, right?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copa7 View Post
Absolutely grateful for the vigilance of these collectors. What a difference it was visiting PSA over near the toilets (how appropriate) with their snarky and lying faces. Then going over to the competition, who bent over backwards to accommodate my questions and actually guarantee my cards would be ready by Sunday (they were ready Saturday).

PSA insisted they would mail them if they weren't ready - which I insisted I did not want, this is why I am bringing them all the way in person. PSA demanded I know what my cards would grade and exactly what value. How the hell should I know? That is why graders are paid, right? They kept telling me it will be upcharged. Well, never, ever again until I see jail time for Someone at PSA.

BTW - anyone want to buy my PSA cards? Lol. They have great resale value, I'm told.
I'm not selling mine. I'm just storing them & keeping all the fakes off the market.

I'll just crack my entire collection that is in the GAI plastic slabs...I mean PSA. until the next fad comes around. These cards get cracked out so many times anyway they have overdosed on crack.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I'm not selling mine. I'm just storing them & keeping all the fakes off the market.

I'll just crack my entire collection that is in the GAI plastic slabs...I mean PSA. until the next fad comes around. These cards get cracked out so many times anyway they have overdosed on crack.
They can't be fakes, they're PSA, right? Hahaha. Just asking those die hard PSA supporters to Pony up and buy these better than any other TPG valued cards. (no takers?)
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 08-05-2019, 01:58 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I have no faith in PSA.

They have all the problems and Joe Orlando basically said they can't do anything about it, won't honor their guarantees and the people exposing the fraud are just a bunch of complainers. Addressing the issues didn't even appear to be a concern of his. Their wish. as has it always been, is to hole it blows over rather than address authentication/authentication issues.

I've long known, and been told, that many high grade cards in PSA holders have been altered. Bill Mastro said this directly years back, and Doug Allen implied this. And it's finally come home to roost.

The fact that the very first card is altered, and may have been known to be altered by the graders, and they have not yet directly addressed that, says it all. Based on that card, a question is if their very business model was based on knowingly falsely grading a card?

Last edited by drcy; 08-05-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
LOL! Stop it man you're killing me!!
Old 08-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Uh, if you think this is limited to PSA, you haven’t been paying attention. SGC has actually had some of the highest profile cards in this scandal slip by, and Beckett is probably worst of the 3 as far as pure corruption (see black labels). They’re all part of the problem.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:10 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Uh, if you think this is limited to PSA, you haven’t been paying attention. SGC has actually had some of the highest profile cards in this scandal slip by, and Beckett is probably worst of the 3 as far as pure corruption (see black labels). They’re all part of the problem.
+1, exactly right....
Old 08-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Would be very interested to see who's invoices the outed PWCC Cards were submitted by to Newport Beach. Hope the FBI Dropped a Duces Tecum requesting the invoices/submission forms.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-05-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Scott Russell

I think when the investigation is over the Freedom of Information act might become my new best friend.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions