NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 PM
David Kathman

Default Panoramic photo of first game at Griffith Stadium in Washington, 1911

Tom Shieber of the Hall of Fame posted an article today on his "Baseball Researcher" blog about a panoramic baseball photo from the early 20th century that he had been asked to identify. Using some fine historical detective work, he determined that it's a picture of the first game played at National Park, later known as Griffith Stadium, in Washington, DC on April 12, 1911. It was a concrete structure on which construction had started just a month earlier, after the wooden ballpark on the same site had burned down. The roof would not be added until later in the season, and the upper deck not until the following year, but the park was complete enough to host the opener against the Boston Red Sox. William Howard Taft attended that day and threw out the ceremonial first pitch to start the MLB season, a tradition he had inaugurated the year before at the old wooden ballpark.

I love photos like this and the detective work used to identify them, and I know others here do too. Here is the link to Shieber's blog post:

http://baseballresearcher.blogspot.c...l-history.html

And here is the photo:

Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 PM

Tom's blog is always a delight, and Tom is every bit as cool in person.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Incredible photo.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great looking photo!! Would look great on a bi or tri fold rppc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Tom Shieber of the Hall of Fame posted an article today on his "Baseball Researcher" blog about a panoramic baseball photo from the early 20th century that he had been asked to identify. Using some fine historical detective work, he determined that it's a picture of the first game played at National Park, later known as Griffith Stadium, in Washington, DC on April 12, 1911. It was a concrete structure on which construction had started just a month earlier, after the wooden ballpark on the same site had burned down. The roof would not be added until later in the season, and the upper deck not until the following year, but the park was complete enough to host the opener against the Boston Red Sox. William Howard Taft attended that day and threw out the ceremonial first pitch to start the MLB season, a tradition he had inaugurated the year before at the old wooden ballpark.

I love photos like this and the detective work used to identify them, and I know others here do too. Here is the link to Shieber's blog post:

http://baseballresearcher.blogspot.c...l-history.html

And here is the photo:

Old 12-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Anyone have the postcards?

Truly amazing photo. Incredibly, the old ballpark had burned to the ground just 18 days earlier, while the Nationals were south at spring training. You can see the wooden forms holding the still-drying concrete in place. There is a set of postcards of different phases of construction of the new "American League Park" as it was called originally, my buddy Ron Menchine had several of them and the numbering went up to 18 if memory serves correctly. Ron died in 2010, and I can't remember if any or all of his examples of those made it to auction, I'm not sure they did. I've seen one or two over the years apart from Ron's grouping, so they're obviously super rare.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Amazing photo. Look at the planks the fans in the outfield are standing on.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow! A++++

Incredible! Gives new meaning to SRO! Take a peek with mag glass at the tallest building behind the right field stands. The bottom right window of the 6 that show on the building has a fan watching the game in the window! I'm surprised that there isn't anyone on the roofs! There are also like maybe 5000 males for every female! I can spot 1 female and she is clutching her beau in the very last row of the outfield! Slightly to the right as you look straight on. Pretty large framed woman with a lighter outer garment and hat on! I'm not sure she can even see the game! Thanks for sharing!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 12-07-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:56 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I've always wondered about fans on the field in pictures like this. Were they latecomers? How did fans seated in the front rows of the stands feel about having their views possibly obstructed by these people? I'd also wonder if their presence possibly affected gameplay, but if this was during the deadball era I suppose it wasn't a factor.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Fred

I love seeing pictures like that with the fans RIGHT THERE!
Old 12-08-2018, 09:17 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Amazing photo. Look at the planks the fans in the outfield are standing on.
And even the people standing on planks, look at how close they were to the outfielders. Would not be a bad seat at all today. Amazing photo indeed...

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-08-2018 at 09:18 PM.