NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Now that it has ended and can be discussed what do y'all think of this poster?

http://tinyurl.com/5xtwpq

-Did it sell cheap? Seems to me it did.
-Has it been seen before?

Looks like Olbermann bought it.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Matt

It personally doesn't look authentic to me. Colors don't seem crisp enough. If it is legit, it was a steal!!.

Matt

Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: leon

Beautiful. (not) Legit. I was the underbidder

guess ya learn something new every day....

Old 10-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: MW

The cards are definitely reprints. The poster might be too.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Looks like Olbermann trusts his snipe program enough to go with a one second to go option.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

I was safe either way, legit or not. I emailed the seller and they guaranteed it to be legit. It was a no brainer as they are a perfect feedback seller too.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Jeremy Wagoner

To me, the cards were certainly reprints so I assumed the poster was as well. I could be wrong though.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: barrysloate

The poster wasn't real. How much did it go for? I can't seem to bring up the final price.

I see it now, it went for $1125. I would say an original would be worth 50K-75K easily. Why would this sell for so much?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Mark

I had emailed the seller, who had it on consignment. She said that her consignor refused to open up the frame for inspection. I had questions about the cards, and whether the cards/poster were permanently adheared to the matting.

She tried to coax him into opening the frame, but he would not allow it. My feeling was that the poster was a reprint as well as the cards. And even though the seller "guaranteed" it, I did not want to go through the headache of a return.

Does anyone here believe this Poster was real?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Jeremy Wagoner

Leon, did the seller also guarantee the cards as authentic?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

It isn't even the right size. An original would measure around 22" x 16". Phony as a three dollar bill (and I knew of this offering during the week).

Old 10-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

I guess here's the problem with not "outing" an auction like this...many seem to have seen this and some deemed it fake, but it still ran without comment here.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Folks, there are three known examples of the Burke Ale poster that features Anson and Ewing, and an example went last year in REA for $188,000.

There are roughly the same number of Round Album posters known, and the subject matter is at least half as good (subjective, I know). As such, this poster goes for less than 1% of the REA.

Absolutely impossible...Fake, Fake, Fake, Fake.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

I just pulled at the April 9, 1994 Sotheby's catalog, where lot #344 was the same poster. Theirs measured 27 1/2" x 19" in the frame, so if you allow for a couple of inches matting on each side we get the 22" x 16" measurement I conjectured.

This I guess is the even rarer mini-Round Album poster....not a chance in the world. Why did a reprint sell for over $1000?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Should this have been outed before it ended?

I'm going to guess that Olbermann at least lurks here...might have saved him a few bucks. But I guess the seller says they will guarantee it so....

Old 10-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

There was no reason to think anyone would imagine it was real. I spoke with a board member about it several days ago and we both concluded it was fake on a glance.

If anybody owned what they thought was a real Round Album poster, would they feel that by cutting out reproduction baseball cards and gluing them onto the piece it would enhance the presentation? Those phony cards cinched it without even looking at the poster.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

It looked real to me and I thought it was just a poster I hadn't seen before. Since I had the guarantee I wasn't too worried though I agree it's always a hassle to do a return. I didn't get the guarantee on the cards as I didn't ask. I sort of thought they weren't good as they don't look right.

I think Keith O probably does lurk on the board. He's a smart guy and will be ok.....again, the seller seemed to be very honest. regards

Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

So how does one of the most experienced 19th century baseball collectors not know this at a glance?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Anthony S.

Looks like that consignor just locked up a spot on Countdown's "Worst Persons in the World."

Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Jeff S.

For some reason reprinters always screw up the borders. You'll notice in the real Anson, how the various colors seep in and out of alignment, especially with the title box on the bottom - there's no definitive straight border edge in the printing. The repro Anson has a straight crop all around, with an additional hefty border, muted colors, lack of detail etc.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

As I said I don't collect posters and just thought it was one I hadn't seen. As for the cards, as I said, I didn't care that much. I have emailed the winner as a courtesy heads up....best regards

Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I'd bet money its no good. I've seen similar put together items recently turning up at flea markets as well as other venues. You better be familiar with what you're buying today.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

An original poster is one of the great advertising displays in the hobby. An original would have rich deep colors, not the washed out ones that this one exhibits.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: David Smith

As I was going to post before (but didn't) Keith O has the financial where withal to take a hit on this if it is not real. He also has name recognition and the legal backing to get things straightened out if the deal goes bad.

Me? I don't have the cash to spend on something like this to even take a chance that it is real. If it is fake, I don't have the ability to take a hit on it if the seller does NOT take it back and refund my money and finally, I do not have the name recognition in the hobby or the legal backing to get into a protracted fight.

Keith O might be gambling that it is real and can fight back if it is not. Then again, he might have just seen it and liked it even knowing it was fake.

Maybe it is easier for him to buy a fake that is already framed then it is to go out and look for a less expensive fake. Maybe he wants to redecorate his office and NOT have to worry about something REAL getting damaged or stolen.

Who knows.

David

Old 10-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: peter ullman

wow...an obvious fake...atleast to me. good thing there's a money back warranty. barry's analysis is spot on...just look at the colors...and the borders. another ebay lesson sponsored by net54.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Anthony S.

That's a good point, David. Joe Scarborough does have access to Olbermann's office.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

George Harris & Sons Litho. Co. (Philadelphia) did not print wide borders on their Subjects on any of their posters,
or their Goodwin Champions album. To illustrate this, here are two pages from my N162 album.

This poster is fake....and, the buyer is an idiot to pay that much for it.

TED Z collection

Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Ted- I could have easily won this. I would have gotten my money back as Keith will, if it proves to be fake. I have done far more idiotic stuff....

Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Ole buddy....if I knew you were bidding on this item....I would have instantly called you and warned you.

But, that was in the good old days when Ebay didn't conceal the bidder's ID's.

So, KO got KO'd on this fake.

But, it is not the 1st time. A few years back he was "duped" on a fake T206 Joe Doyle error card.....just
because it was in a rectangular plastic prison with a # on it.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

It has become an absolutely ridiculous taboo of not "outing" ebay lots on this board, that you deem
suspicious, or a darn outright fakes. This Old Judge poster lot exemplifies the absurdity of this rule.

In the days when Ebay did not conceal the bidder's ID's, this outing "rule" had some merit. As you
would be able to contact known bidder(s) and warn them of a fake lot such as this one.

There is an powerful amount of vintage sportscards (and related items) expertise on this forum, and
to discourage members from identifying such fakes, is downright stupidity.

We should have the freedom to "out", when our expertise tells us we are looking at a phony piece on
ebay.
And, the usual suspects on this board that cry "foul".....be darned.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Jay

I talked to Rob Lifson (and Barry) about the poster when the lot was first listed. He said 100% fake--no question.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

Whenever I see a poster or print I might have an interest in and am concerned whether it is genuine, the first thing I will do is compare its dimensions against those of a known original. If they vary, the item is a fake, period. It's fast and easy to do and it can save a lot of time and trouble down the road.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

So what you are saying is that you have never seen something for the first time, that didn't quite meet what you expected to see, and every single time that item has been a fake? wow......

Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Leon,

What I thought I said, and if I didn't I'm saying it now, is that if you see a poster or print you are interested in but aren't sure it is real, you should compare its dimensions to those taken from a KNOWN original of the piece. If they vary, then what you're looking at is a fake.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Corey, how can you say that with any certainty? New discoveries are made all the time.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Dan,

Maybe then I will learn something I have never before known to be true, but I am not aware of single instance of a vintage poster or lithographic print issued a particular year that came in varying dimensions (at least in regard to the 19th and early 20th century).

I remember some years ago being offered the Currier and Ives print "The American National Game of Baseball". I called a nationally known print expert I knew for advice whether the print was original. The first question he asked me was its dimensions. When I told them to him, he said they are different that those of known originals so I shouldn't waste my time further.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Jay

Dan--Usually not in a "period" frame with four obviously fake N162s

Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Jason L

sorry, I thought this thread was going to be about Frank...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Jay, I wasn't speaking towards this particular item, just Corey's generalization that a print or poster if it doesn't measure up to known examples automatically makes it a fake.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Dan- Corey's assertion that the measurement is among the most important things to look at for determining authenticity would probably be true 99% of the time.

If for example we found the first known N162 poster (no such thing exists) it would be fair to say that maybe it would be larger or smaller than an N28 poster. Therefore, its measurements might not be a good test.

However, N28 posters do exist and they measure 22" x 16". The chance of a variant N28 poster being found with different dimensions would be extremely unlikely. Not impossible, just very unlikely.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Well, sure Barry, but words mean things and Corey was talking in absolutes. I don't think there's room for absolutes in this hobby. New stuff is discovered on a fairly regular basis.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

"However, N28 posters do exist and they measure 22" x 16". The chance of a variant N28 poster being found with different dimensions would be extremely unlikely. Not impossible, just very unlikely."

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but can you point to single instance of a 19th or early 20th century poster or lithographic print coming in different sizes? Yes, in theory, multiple plates of varying dimensions from which to strike the print could be manufactured. But doing so would be very cost ineffective, and I'm struggling to understand under what practical scenario it could be expected to happen.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

The chance of two identical designs in different sizes existing would be close to zero, for the exact reason you cited. However, a smaller poster with a somewhat different design (say a counter card) could exist.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: Frank B

This cost me $21 delivered. It's a nice frame job too.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Posted By: joe

It's a fake because I own the same poster.
Bought it on eBay last year for about $14.
Mine has the same print lines behind the text, the same aging around the edges, and is the same size - about 14 x 16, or so.
Mine was sold under the old "found it at an estate sale" BS.
At least he'll get his $ back - hopefully.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Leon,

Morale of the story -- next time you see in some easy-to-overlook auction setting some spectacular 19th century advertising poster that would fit perfectly in my collection, please be sure to run it by me first so I can help you determine if it is original.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

I will be sure to do that...... You ole shark.....

Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

Hey Leon- he spelled "moral" wrong. What penalty should we assess him?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

I saw that but wasn't going there......I make too many mistakes to throw rocks....

Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Poster

That's a very diplomatic response.