NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Default C1885 Tug of War Plaque 7.5" X 5.5" - Tug of War an Official Sport?…Yup!

photo TugofWarPlaque1_zps4701bfbf.jpg

photo TugofWarPlaque2_zps939ef633.jpg

Last night I was quickly jamming thru eBay before hitting the hay and came across this copper plated kind of beat up plaque….I was about to shut it down for the night but this darn thing took over…The derby, the cane, the cap of the guy in the center, the guy waving the flag, and the flag next to the building in the background all had a Victorian era college scene look that grabbed me and sent me researching….of all things in the middle of the night….Collegiate Tug of War contests….

It’s never been anything I was interested in…sort of a fringe athletic endeavor I vaguely recalled in all my travels….But I lucked out…I googled and found a remarkable semi comprehensive record of Tug of War contests between eastern colleges in the 1880’s…It was in the April 1887 to September 1887 volume of Outing magazine…not a written dialog but a quick “records set” at the 12th annual, I.C.A.A. track meet (Intercollegiate Athletic Association)…which may have been the big meet of the year for the eastern colleges then…When I say I lucked out, it not only gives the records for the 1887 Meet but an informal recap of (some of) the records of total wins and losses from 1880 to 1887 per school…see below. Bottom line is “Tug of War” was indeed an official event of the meet…and apparently an officially recognized sport!

Also of note…I thought I remembered “Tug of War” represented on that c1888 Bailey Championship plaque I got back in 2009…I checked and sure’nuff…see photo below.

So then…brain fuzzy from reading droopy eyed in the middle of the night all about Tug Of War history…I made an offer last night (early AM this morning really) and got it today!....Someone once asked in jest on this site if there was any sport I didn’t have…last month when I posted the Harness Racing clock I thought I had exhausted new sports….However….

photo OutingTitlefull_zps019379f9.jpg

photo OutingSept18871_zpse551ad05.jpg

photo OutingSept18872_zps0f9b34e5.jpg

photo 1888AAUBailey_zpsf188f2ee.jpg
Close in, c1888 Bailey Championship Prize Plaque - Awarded by Amateur Athletic Union of the United States 1888-1891
http://sportsantiques.com/baileychampprize.htm

photo CloseFull_zps956f4400.jpg

Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

From 1900 to 1920 the tug of war was also an official Olympic event. Great Britain won the most medals (5) followed by Sweden, the U.S. and a mixed team, each winning two. Great Britain won all three medals in 1908. Back then you could enter a lot more athletes/teams in an event than is allowed today.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:46 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Can be a Net54 dinner entertainment
Old 11-13-2013, 12:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
Can be a Net54 dinner entertainment
Right... I think the "Autograph Guys" should have at it
Old 11-19-2013, 05:21 AM

Default More...Tug-O-War

For those of you who just can’t get enough Tug-Of-War memorabilia…you’re in luck here at Net54…there have been two new developments related to this copper plated plaque…And I'm sure many have been laying awake nights wondering if there would be any new updates about Tug-Of-War items...

photo Tug-Of-War_zpsa035b5f8.jpg

photo PICT8945_zps8b7244a6.jpg

photo TSwaffieldBrownsig_zps3db0ee2c.jpg

photo HuttonBio_zpsf405831c.jpg

photo Deceased_zps8d521b76.jpg

First of all I received the plaque in hand and it’s signed and dated by the sculptor…As someone who researches this stuff...those two attributes are outstanding intel…The sculptor was Thomas Swaffield-Brown...who I learned was the Art Director at William Hutton & Sons in Birmingham and Sheffield England from 1880-1914. William Hutton & Sons produced decorative metal ware items and may have been the Reed and Barton of England. Logically the plaque would have been produced by William Hutton & Sons since Brown was the Art Director there for 34 years…as noted until 1914….and the plaque is dated very precisely under the signature “3-4-1898”. I didn’t find Brown’s obit but did find a dispersal of estate notice in the January 29th 1915 London Gazette…So he would have died sometime within the previous year.

So anyway…the plaque isn’t American…but I still speculate it is collegiate….only it probably represents a Tug-Of-War between Oxford and Cambridge…not Harvard and Yale…still cool…but not quite as cool as having something that represents an American scene…..I’m still glad to have it though.

photo Full1886Tug-Of-War_zps72dd5c55.jpg

And then…more news…I sent a link to this thread to my friend Bart White…In turn Bart sent me a link to an eBay listing for the c1886 photo above of a Tug-Of-War between Harvard and Yale….When I first looked at it I thought it was interesting but I’d sort of had enough Tug-Of-War finds for a while…But the next day I revisited it and took a harder look…First of all it was an eye opener that the real Tug-Of-War events between Harvard and Yale did not look like the scene in the plaque…and were a lot more structured…i.e. the foot braces….and they are nearly on the ground…not standing like the plaque…so that was interesting….like they say a picture is worth a thousand words….And where in the world would I ever find another 1886 photo like it…

The way I started seeing it was you can have an interesting photo with a blank back….or you can have a photo with some markings on the back that give a little bit of background on the image…..OR….you can have a photo that just kills it with info…this one kills it….It had the teams….the names of all the “tuggers” of both teams…even the year they were to graduate….and the score…in almighty 1886 dip pen handwriting….oh yeah…..So….it had a BIN or best offer…I sent a feeble offer and the seller happened to be a fan of my website and let me have it for my offer!

There are some things that are puzzling about it though….The handwriting one the back is what convinces me its real…but it was apparently trimmed from the way the top of the word Harvard is cut off…and the modern little title card is adhered on…like it was part of a display at one time…very curious…By the way...check out the garments...the hats and shoes...The belt apparatus worn by the anchor appears to be a specific proven design not something worked up last minute...Could have been made by a harness maker or could have been ordered from Spalding or one of the other sporting goods companies.

photo CloseIn_zps2ae13036.jpg

photo Close1_zps0811bdbe.jpg

photo CloseStovePipeHat_zps6fca06dd.jpg

photo TeamRostersImpossed_zpsb65b6b02.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 11-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 AM

Carlton,

The background research that you do surrounding your acquisitions never fails to amaze me.

Congrats on another cool pickup for the Hendricks Museum!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:21 AM
Shawn England

Default Pawtucket Rhode Island Slater Park TUG OF WAR

Carlton, nice pick-up! Coincidentally here is something that fits this thread.

Here is something I recently acquired really by accident (came with a bunch of stuff). When I first looked at it I thought hmmm "maybe ship-yard or something"? Then I turned it over and Wow!

Have trouble reading the back?

Tug of War

Won by Grinding room at the Annual outing at Slater Park as pulled off at noon at ??????????????

Pawtucket RI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (75.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (79.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks All for the good words...Thanks Shawn for the R.I. photo...Grinding room?...wonder what that was.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The rest of the words on the photo appear to be H & B Am Mch Co. - probably H & B American Machine Company.

Last edited by Michael B; 11-21-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:36 PM

Default Good eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
The rest of the words on the photo appear to be H & B Am Mch Co. - probably H & B American Machine Company.
Michael, Very good deciphering job...I have an 1840 letter in that squiggly long hand that talks about a football game between Harvard and Dartmouth...which is hard to make out...maybe you could decipher it...

https://archive.org/stream/ringspinn...ge/n1/mode/2up
BTW...there is a lot of references to H & B American Machine Company on google...seems to have been big on cotton machines...link above

Old 11-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I would be more than happy to give it a whirl. I am pretty decent at deciphering old handwriting. At one time I bought and sold Civil War documents, letters and signatures so it came in handy. Currently it is trying to decipher Eastern European, mainly Hungarian and Czech, autographs of pre WWII Olympians. Either post it or send it along to me.

Cheers.