NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Kevin Andrews

Default Square Deal Booklets / Betting Slips

I've had the Square Deal Baseball Schedule booklets shown below in my collection for years and always kind of wondered how these were associated with betting on the games.

Just last week I picked up these betting slips and envelopes. Anybody have a clue as to how this worked? What about the booklets? Does anyone know if there are any from prior to 1937 or after 1942?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Kevin Andrews

Default 1936 Square Deal Schedule

Picked this up shortly after I made this post - It's the first time that I've seen a 1936 issue. Anyone have any others?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Kevin Andrews

Found some additional "Square Deal" stuff over the last couple of months including a football parlay sheet. The Square Deal Baseball Score Card is from 1931. Does anyone have any other Square Deal items that aren't shown? I do believe I've seen a calendar style football schedule booklet from the late 30's or early 40's but I don't have an example. Anybody have any idea what Square Deal was?

Last edited by old-baseball; 11-30-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Those remind me of the ole Punchboards with gaming slots and players on them. Neat stuff thanks for sharing....
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

Looks like the gambling slips I saw in college.

min a buck a card, pick some teams, a certain number of winners gave a certain payout.
The ones I saw weren't at all legal. And while the guy you'd buy it from was probably ok, the people running the whole thing weren't.

When I was in Jr High the guy at the local store got busted by the FBI. When I asked why my parents said it was for selling football cards. Which was puzzling and gave me a bit of panic since I'd collected quite a few football cards. So they had to explain that it wasn't the ones I was buying but some other football cards. And not the fleer ATG set either which I'd only seen a couple of from some kid across town. I never did get a really good explanation what football cards would get someone arrested. But sort of wanted to collect them - it sounded dangerous/adventurous.

Then I saw the gambling ones and it all made sense.

Steve B

Steve B