NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Patrick N.

Default Writing on Cards

Every once in a while I stumble upon writing on cards and it reminds me that at one time vintage baseball cards were nothing more than mementos and there was no monetary value attached to these cards....Certaintly kids during the 50s 60s were not considering what their cards would "pop" if submitted to a TPG...Here is one that I just saw...Anyone else come across writing on a card that shows how the hobby once was? What kinds of writing were kids doing on cards during this time? I've seen facial hair and as below usually a note about a player being traded...Anything else? Thanks for sharing as a collector starting in the 80s writing on cards was not part of my experience.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM

I can't remember what card it was...but I did see where someone had taken either pencil or a dark crayon and made a baseball diamond around the player, including the pitcher's mound and home plate. It was actually very very cool looking!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Al Richter

Default writing on cards

I started collecting in the 50s. Before I got into collecting sets I did teams. When there was not a card for a player I needed on a team I would rub out the name on a card and write in the name of the guy I needed
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

Pretty much anything that would amuse a kid could get added. Beards, glasses, fangs, devil horns, stoner pinwheel eyes.....

I bought a collection years ago from someone my mother worked with. When they asked a few days later what I thought of it I told them they had 2 boys, the younger one who was tidy and neat and prefered football, and another about 2 years older who was a bit sloppy, had an odd sense of humor and prefered baseball. Also guessed the ages within a year.

It was like looking at two totally different collections.

My own efforts were with the exacto knife, and ended up with a couple 78 Topps standups. I also rebacked them with typewritten "Todds gum company" backs. I still have one of them somewhere.

Steve B
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default card writing

Being a lesser condition collector,Over the years Ive had many cards with wrtting in my collection, from the minor ( a kids intials on the back,a slight adjustment to the players stats,etc..) to the very creative and painful ( the beards,and glasses,the changing of the players team,etc)
I once had a huge group of 1963T cards in great shape with the exception of a rubber stamped " WILLIAM WHITE" on the front and back of every card., They were tough to look at.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
jerry

Default writing on cards

Heres one of mine. Not only did they write red sox on the card it also was pinned up.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Calling " William Willie" please come pick up your ballcard

Quite nice shape..except for a bit of ink
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63t wth write.jpg (74.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-08-2011, 02:16 PM

I actually have a series of about 100 1933 Goudey cards (including HOFers) that someone cut to the size of tobacco cards and added a black border to. When the orignal artist had multiples of teh same card - he sometimes changed the uniforms, hats, wrong different names on front.

Never taken any pictures of them (but will if there's a request).

And if anyone ever sees anymore of these ... LET ME KNOW. I'll add them to my collection.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 33 Goudey

SMPEP,
I have a few extra 33G cards including a Gehrig, Id gladly cut it down to T size in hopes of making a trade, Let me know
Ral G
Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Okay, I suppose I should have said ... please don't further deface any cards ... but if you happen to already have them in this condition ... let me know.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 33g

Patrick,
your a little to late ,Ive already trimmed down the Gehrig for you
Ral G
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Well, we can rebuild him. Make him stronger than before (insert six Million Dollar Man sound effects here ...)

Cheers,
patrick
Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Some of my artwork when I was a kid. We all marked our cards
with our initials so no one would steal them. The card we really
liked we put our whole name on. I must have traded with "S"
because I crossed him out, and put a nice big "D".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Writing on back.jpg (77.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Some of my artwork when I was a kid. We all marked our cards
with our initials so no one would steal them. The card we really
liked we put our whole name on. I must have traded with "S"
because I crossed him out, and put a nice big "D".
Yeah SURE David....those marks look pretty recent!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
Yeah SURE David....those marks look pretty recent!
LOL - I wonder what they would grade..... .PSA 1 (MK)???????
Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Larry

A couple of years ago, I went ahead and bought a 1947 Tip Top Bread Ralph Kiner from Steve Verkman (who quite correctly described the card's condition) with writing on the face of the card, "51 homeruns in 1947." The card also looked like it had been carried around in a prior owner's wallet for some time, with creases covering its surface. I purchased it only because I had been after this card for about a decade, and this was the only one I had seen offered that was not part of a much larger lot in something like an REA auction, but now I'm rather glad I did. It's fascinating in a way to include an item in your collection that was rather obviously treasured by the prior owner back in someone like Kiner's heyday (7 straight homerun titles, twice over 50 in a single season--previously done only by Ruth, Foxx, Mantle and Mays, I believe--as well as a ton of RBI's and runs scored, to go with a .400 lifetime on base %)
Kiner was always a favorite of mine, and I have to admit, I've carried the card around too at times in a protective holder.
Sorry I'm so late at joining the thread,

Larry