NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Default Two Baseball Silks Needing Information

Hey, I'm new here .. I just signed up to ask if anyone can help me with some information and the"ballpark" (pardon the pun) value of these two silks. The only information I have is what is actually printed on the silk. The pink one says Summers and the red one might be Al Mattern? I need Summers' first name, dates for both, and anything else necessary to list them on eBay.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Ed Summers

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ummeed01.shtml
Old 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Your players are Ed Summers and Al Mattern. These silks come from a set called S74 Silks and this is the “color” version. There is another version that came with a paper backing attached and no ad on the front (only on the back) and are shorter top to bottom. In general the going price for these is in the $50-125 range or so for “common” players, both you have are not stars so they would be in that range. The red on is a tougher color so that one would have the higher value in my opinion. Hope that helps. Produced around 1911.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-18-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Thanks

Good information and quick too!
Thanks!
DeeDee
Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Cleaning?

Is it safe to gently wash and iron these or is it better to sell as is?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
Is it safe to gently wash and iron these or is it better to sell as is?
Sell as is, don’t mess with them. They came folded in the packs so some bending or folds are expected.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Bob C.

You can gently iron them. i would suggest a towel or other material as a buffer between the silk and the face of the iron. Not so sure about cleaning them. Though they are commonly referred to as 'Silks", the material is described on the backs of the white version silk ads as "Satin". I would definitely not wash them with soap and water in the conventional sense as that would likely lead to fraying. You'll notice that the top of the red silk is definitely starting to fray, which happens very often to the silks over time. The Matter silk fraying has almost started to take out some to the printing, which will effect the value to a collector negatively. Think of it like rounded/missing corners of a conventional card.

The Summers silk displays almost no sign of fraying at the top and bottom, and is how you ideally would like to collect the colored version silks. Because of the fraying on the Mattern silk, i would think the Summers silk is the more valuable of the two, despite the fact that the dark red colored silks are a bit rarer. The dirt/discoloration on the Summers silk will negatively impact the price also but, probably not as much as the fraying.

And like most cards, rarity has a big impact on the value as well. Neither of these common players would be considered very hard to find examples of. Given the market for silks right now, I would tend to think that these two would be closer to the lower end of Rhett's price range he gave you.

I imagine it could be safe to try some type of dry cleaning of a silk but, don't know of anyone ever trying that before, nor what a dry cleaner would likely charge for something like that, if they could do it. Good luck, are you looking to sell these or keep for yourself then?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM

I'm definitely looking to sell them. I was thinking about listing them on eBay. My hubby found them (along with 10 of the starlets in similar condition) in a book he purchased for $.50. Is there any value in the ladies?
DeeDee
Old 12-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default buck or two

unless you have Lillian Russell
Old 12-18-2017, 11:02 PM

Default Nope, no Lillian

The only name I recognized (of the few I have)was Louise Dresser. Thanks for your information.
DeeDee
Old 12-19-2017, 07:51 AM
Bob C.

The actress silks are not that valuable or widely collected unfortunately. Take Rhett's earlier estimate for the value of the baseball silks and move the decimal point at least one space to the left I'm afraid.

And as for actresses in the set that you may have heard of, the one actress who is probably the most well known of still today is Billie Burke. Not too many people will know of or have ever seen Lillian Russell in a performance. Almost everyone should know of and have seen Billie Burke perform on screen.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

Billie Burke - she's interesting but still a couple bucks. Lillian Russell in this set is RARE and QUITE EXPENSIVE. Agree that Rhett's ballpark is a little ambitious. Rhett however knows a LOT about many things :-).
Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
Billie Burke - she's interesting but still a couple bucks. Lillian Russell in this set is RARE and QUITE EXPENSIVE. Agree that Rhett's ballpark is a little ambitious. Rhett however knows a LOT about many things :-).
That is good to know about the Lillian Russell silks in that set. My comment was that not too many people around today will have ever heard of Lillian Russell or know who she is, which is absolutely true. Meanwhile, almost everyone, young and old, should know who Billie Burke is and have seen her on the screen performing. Plus, from what I've seen, the actress silks go for only a few bucks, at best, and I know that holds true for Billie Burke silks as well. I have never seen an actual Lillian Russell silk up for sale or auction though and thus, didn't have a clue as to how rare and valuable they are. Just out of curiosity, how valuable would you say a Lillian Russell silk is?

I'm also waiting to see if someone will admit they don't know who Billie Burke is (without Googling or searching online) and ask who she is!
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Ron Skaggs

Default Blossom Seeley

I collected Blossom Seeley who was married to Rube Marquard from 1917-1920
and preformed a vaudeville act together.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsst206 View Post
I collected Blossom Seeley who was married to Rube Marquard from 1917-1920
and preformed a vaudeville act together.
Hey Ron, that's a good one, didn't realize that. Nothing different back then from what they're still doing today. Verlander and Kate Upton are a similar example I would think.

Ron, Merry Christmas by the way.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Jimmy

These colored silks are great, I have had many of the white versions too!

My favorite was a Water Johnson purple I had years back

Welcome to the board!

Jimmy