NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Gents, I was under the misunderstanding that only 500 specimens of the 2013 NSCC Card that Never Was 1915 Cracker Jack Babe Ruth were ever printed. However, as you mercifully stated, Gary, the backside of the 500 appear as a fantasy Cracker Jack would have appeared, whereas Memory Lane's have their advertising printed upon it. That makes for a different case, although I imagine PSA would not encapsulate any of the Memory Lane "ad" Ruths.

I must retract, then, what I projected---a future $500 value will likely never be reached. I based my prognostication on a couple eBay entries I saw for "Buy It Now". The cheapest was $180.

As far as being self serving, Pete, I have no intention of selling my Cracker Jack Babe Ruth. Period. I could use the $500, but I'd rather keep the card. I only have one of them, and if I had more than one then yes, I would gladly part with the duplicate.

Let me say this, in my forthcoming book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, I wrote of many postwar regional / food issues. Most of them I do not own; a few of them I do own. Without owning a few of them, I seriously doubt I would be able to bring as much enthusiasm and passion to the subject at all. Moreover, I was not going to sell the cards I had, just to avoid catcalls from the likes of you. I feel certain that I will still be accused of trumpeting my own cards by a few guys. WILL ISN'T THAT JUST TOO BAD? There is absolutely nothing illegal in writing about something you own.

Borrowing from another hobby of mine, in 1980 Joel Finn wrote the most thorough and authoritative work on the 1957 - 1962 Ferrari Testa Rossa racing sports cars. Without going into great detail, today they routinely auction for over $15,000,000. Mr. Finn happens to own one of them, beautifully restored, and several fine studies of HIS VERY OWN TESTA ROSSA appear on the front of the book's dust jacket. At the time he wrote his landmark book, the car was worth $1,000,000 at the very most. Try not to choke on your carefully flavored coffee, Pete, when you read these words.

Hey, I'll make ya feel better, bro. So are collecting ultra rare hyper-expensive Ferrari racing sports cars my other hobby. Well, no; collecting fine detailed 1/43rd model cars of them is my other hobby.

Many collectors, including myself, rave over the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. I owned a beautiful specimen for about 24 years. I miss it terribly. I will never be able to own that card again. That has not stopped me from still admiring and speaking very highly of it.

Lastly, I must embarrass myself again. I was also under the misunderstanding the original poster was inquiring about period Babe Ruth cards produced during his playing days. My bad. I chimed in on the Cracker Jack Ruth when someone else encouraged him to buy that instead. I guess my "chimed in" was more like a Quick Draw McGraw EL KABONG.

---Brian Powell

P.S. Pete----I know you think the fantasy Cracker Jack Babe is a real crock and should not be taken seriously in the least. I still seriously love this card, which is what card collecting is all about. I cannot afford a period Ruth at all. The CJ Babe gives me a card collectors fantasy at a fraction of the price a genuine would cost today. Come on, Pete, some of us are struggling financially, yet we have the nerve to like old baseball players and old cars anyway.
Leon I call for random drug testing of all board members!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Babe Ruth B.B. Club pins for under $500 are usually around if you look hard enough. I personally like the 1934 Quaker Oates featuring a happy smiling Bambino.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Leon I call for random drug testing of all board members!
Brian is a good guy and incredibly passionate about the hobby.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Sean Costello

It just occurred to me: the 2014 Net 54 t-shirt feature Babe's Goudey card. Maybe Leon has an extra somewhere?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Brian is a good guy and incredibly passionate about the hobby.
+1 I've always had good interactions with Brian.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:03 PM
pete ullman

brian...i meant no harm...just an early morning...before my 3rd cup of coffee rant about people not reading/ignoring other peoples posts.. I like the cj ruth card...for what it is...I even have one in my collection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgres.jpg (11.8 KB, 209 views)
Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 PM
pete ullman

peace offering...how about this!!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/store/vintag...vintage03.html
Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Lewis Vintage Collectibles

Yup I won the Ruth photo. Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
You just missed the RMY auction, but vintage photos of Ruth can be had at some great prices.

For instance this one from 1929 sold for $315 (not to me) in the most recent RMY auction.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I think a boardgame is too big of a commitment especially for a non-collector I mean what are they supposed to do with it ??? A small card can be put anywhere .
+1. Big items equal hard to store.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Brian

Why give away a $500 card? What are the odds that the winning person will appreciate it like a collector would? The winner will most likely just sell it as soon as they can.

Might as well give away $500 cash with the Donruss Champions card...which will probably be appreciated more.

Very generous of you though.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 02-17-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Fred

I'd buy any 1933 Ruth Goudey in NrMt condition, if someone would sell one to me for $500.....
Old 02-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Mark

Save $400 and buy a Mitchell ness ruth jersey for a $100.