NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Jesse

Default My 1934 Goudey Set come along for the journey

Hey fellas I just wanted to post up my 1934 goudey set I am currently working on and let you guys come along for the adventure. We have seen some great sets being put together and we just get to see the finished product sometimes or parts of it well I want you to watch my set as I build it. I hope you enjoy this journey and leave comments if you like.

Lets see where to start well I started my set back in May of this year (2013 that is). I picked up my first card the Alvin Crowder (3) for my set before I decided to go for a grade of PSA 5 or Above. I knew after getting this card this set would be something I definitely have to complete. Love the looks of them so much so I continued my set. That May I stumbled onto the Sterling Auctions website and place a few bids that I did end up winning. I picked up my next two cards the Tex Carleton (5) and the Dolph Camilli (6). After having picked up those three. One night online surfing ebay as we all do at times I came across my next purchase, the Ed Holley (6) for my set. I felt having scored 4 of the 96 cards in the set I was off to the races.

Last edited by kamikidEFFL; 11-28-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Jesse

After grabbing these 4 cards I just had the itch and needed more. So then came June. I again went to sterling auctions and picked up 3 more for my set. I picked up a Fred Walker (5), Mel Harder (5) and Cliff Bolton (6). I felt I got the Walker and Harder were just priced to nice to pass on in my eyes. So here i was 7 cards in and again back to ebay I went. I bought another 3 more cards to add. I scored the Hugh Critz (6), John Allen (6), and Minter Hayes (6). Up to 10 cards at this point and its only June. I was feeling great and felt wait a second this set could be getting done quicker than I thought. So i then pulled back the next few months and only scored two more. I in August picked up a Larry French (6) and a Baxter Jordan (5) in September.

Last edited by kamikidEFFL; 11-28-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:51 AM
Jesse

After September I really just didn't look or do much with my set until these past few weeks. I took october to save a little money and try to purchase some of the higher end ones in the next month or so. Anyway this month I stumbled again to ebay through cardtarget.com and saw a bunch of 34 Goudeys up for auction so figuring why not Jesse jump in see if you can grab any of these. So i did and ended up picking up a John Frederick (6) and a Robert "Lefty" Grove (4). Yes a 4 but I felt the price was just way to good to pass up on and I could def upgrade it down the line. Finally my last purchase which came from Sterling Auctions just the other day, a Roger Cramer (6). So as of today I currently sit at 15 of the 96 total cards. I really hope you guys will continue following me on my quest to complete this 34 Goudey Set.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 AM
nels0n aud.et

Nice cards ! i love these goudey cards
Old 11-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Rob Miller

Awesome cards, good luck!! I am 17 cards away from the complete set, so I understand the journey...be patient and have fun!

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...2&userset=2263
Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Mike

Default Beautiful cards

You have a nice start on this set. I love the 34 Goudey set. I need 8 more cards to finish my set. I have been buying 4's and 5's. Your cards are a little nicer. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Jesse

Thanks guys the quest continues
Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Joe D

Very nice start to the set and good luck. Yours are a lot nicer than mine.

T205 86 / 208
T205 NYA 13 / 14
T206 NYA 12 / 28
Diamond Stars 53 / 96 (fronts only!)
1954 Topps 242 / 250
1956 Topps 322 / 340
Old 11-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default 34's

I love those 34's, especially in that condition. Good luck with your quest.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Jesse

again guys thanks its a challenge but should be a fun ride
Old 12-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sounds like you are having fun. That's what it's all about. I will only give one small word of caution, pace yourself. A marathon is usually preferable to a sprint, in the pre-war collecting space. But hey, if you want to sprint...more power to ya. ..I will gladly scoot my slow behind over so you can go around me. Just keep having fun!! Btw, great looking cards.

Last edited by Leon; 12-07-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Jesse

So last night I put in a few bids on the Sterling auction house site and behold my first PSA 7 I have for my set was won. The Lyle Tinning will probably be my last 34 Goudey I will buy this year. I have to say after a short year (8 Months) I have put together a nice lil start to my set with a total of 16 cards. I figure by the end of next year I hope to have more than half the set complete and hopefully some of those big names checked off. So here is to next year.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Marty

Nice pickup. I love the 34 Goudeys.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM

You are putting together a great looking set. Good luck with the rest.
JimB
Old 12-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Jesse

Thanks a lot guys
Old 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I like the way the cards are displayed. Good idea.

I remember that Barry Halper had a few of his best cards housed in custom made 'books.' Though that was neat too.

Last edited by drcy; 12-29-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 AM

Great set to work on!

Ricky Y
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Jesse

Well its a new year and we are only two weeks in and I have already made a few purchases for the set. I grabbed all these off ebay. I am not a big fan the "bay" but when the price is right man how can you pass on these. Well i have a few shows coming up and other auctions so I think by the time this month is over I will def have at least another 2 or 3 others added to my set.

This is one of my favs in the set and they don't come up often for a reasonable amount and this seller on ebay was very willing to work with the price. After a day of talking back and forth we agreed to terms and this one showed up a few days later. Its not a high grade but I will just upgrade later to get a 5 or 6. At this rate I will have the set in a few months but I am sure I will slow down a bit in the future but my goal has dropped down to 27 left to complete half the set by the end of the year. Looking good so far. Well keep watching guys more to come

Last edited by kamikidEFFL; 01-17-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Jesse

Well January has come to a close and with that comes just a short recap of my set this past month. I in the past month have gone a lil crazy with buying but when deals keep showing up like they are its just to tough to pass. My favorite pick up this month I have to say hands down was the Foxx. Not the best grade but the deal was just to good to pass on. I am sure I can upgrade the card down the line without a doubt. As for the month I ended it with another 4 picks ups to bring my grand total to 25 in the set. I am well on my way to completing half the set (my 2014 goal) and feel at this pace I will definitely be over that hump soon. Here are the most recent additions to my set

So, February is here and I am ready to already jump back in. Now thinking about it hey I haven't even touched my 38 Goudey set well looks like that will be on the back burner for now. Hope February is as good to me as January was.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Steven H.

Great looking set so far. Best of luck in February.
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 AM
nels0n aud.et

Beautifull
Congrats
Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Jesse

So guys its been a while since I have given you my last update on my set. Last time I posted was February. Well since February I slowed down pretty much didn't pick much up until March. Here is some of the stuff I gathered since February. I did recently score a nice 7.5 Tony Piet for my set currently my highest grade in the set to date. I scored most off eBay but a fellow member here helped me get the Klein and the Cuyler I scored at the local show this past week. I do have a nice Charlie Gehringer 5.5 SGC being put into a PSA case which I will be expecting in the next week or so. I am very happy with my journey to date but I still have a small hill to climb until I reach the half way point and then its down hill from there. Thanks for coming along and watching me put the set together.

Last edited by kamikidEFFL; 04-05-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Mike Mattsey

Beautiful collection.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Jesse

Thanks man I just scored another today well pending a photo f the back but should be good.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Alex

Thanks for sharing. Good luck on the set.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Thanks for sharing. Good luck on the set.
Thanks a lot.

I see people all the time posting saying they completed the set but I mean I like to see how they acquired it the ups and downs. How long it takes and such it is almost like you were building it yourself kinda. People put a ton of time and money into these sets. That's why I figured hey maybe others that me out there so that's why I put this thread together. Again thanks for the comments always love reading them.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Jesse

So the month of April pretty much got nothing towards my set. I'm kinda bummed about it but I also hadn't been looking as much as I usually do. A few popped up here and there but never grabbed any. Well just when I thought the month was over I ended up scoring a Paul Waner 5.5 for my set. I have seen a few others around and I hope the month of may is better than this month of April. Oh well I'm just that little bit closer to reaching one of my two goals for this year. After I complete the first one it's time I save money to buy the Gehrig. That will complete my 2014 goals. Then next year is to complete the set hopefully. I will post a photo up when the card is in hand. Thanks everyone who leaves comments and reads my thread. I hope your enjoying this journey as much as I am.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Jesse

Hey guys so the month of May def went much better than April for my set. With that being said I never showed a photo of the Paul Waner PSA 5 I got at the end of April. So here she is

Now as for the month of May, I really didn't grab much but to start the month off I purchased a Charlie Gehringer from a fellow member here a while back but that was in a SGC case and had sent it out to get it swapped into a PSA. I know stupid but I wanted the set to be all in PSA slabs. It did drop from a 5.5 to a 5 but I was happy with the outcome.

The rest of the month def slowed down very much but happen to score 2 others before the end of the month. I grabbed two PSA 6's, John Marcum & Herman Bell. I am currently sitting at 39/96. Leaving me just 9 more to hit my goal of completing half the set. The last card I scored I got came in June so next month I will post it then.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Jesse

Been a while since I have given you guys and update on my set. The first day of August is finally here and I have def been making great progress. I recently moved on from my 1938 Goudey Set because they were very hard to come across. But anyway back to my 34 Goudey Set.

I have added in this past month these few below. A few from a couple of fellow members here and a few other from auctions. Don't always like getting stuff graded under 5 but I can always upgrade later. Deals seemed to good to be true. I am getting closer and closer to the peak of the mountain (half way point) I can taste it. Anyway here ya go.

Thanks for reading and watching me build this set. Its been fun so far and now I am only 5 left until I hit my goal for this year well one of the two the second being the Gehrig will be next on that list.

Last edited by kamikidEFFL; 08-01-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Luke Keeler

Great looking set, Jesse. Thanks for sharing. Almost half way home!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 PM
John Mavroudis

Default Beautiful Set!!!

I LOVE the design on this set. And that Bill Terry is nothing to sniff at! LOVE IT! Best of luck on your quest!

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-02-2014, 06:08 AM
Jesse

Thanks guys for the positive comments.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Default Jesse....

great cards! congrats
Old 08-02-2014, 11:31 AM
D0NN1E B

Great looking set. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Jesse

Again thanks for checkin it out and leaving comments always enjoy reading em
Old 10-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Jesse

Hey guys haven't given much of an update on how my set is going. Well I haven't been doing much bidding lately or purchasing first because there hasn't been much available and I had some other things going on. Well I did score some over the past few months.

First after scoring the Vosmik a few months back I cam across these two on ebay.

I then took a step back to do some things with the house so all other hobbies and fun things went on hold. Oh well it also gave me some time to save up some extra money for the show coming at the end of this month. Where I hope to add more to the set. Then of course I came across ebay on a random night and saw these two and obviously needed to have them so these two brought me within 1 of completing the half way point.

After getting those two in I wanted to make the half way point mean something and snag the Gehrig and then it would complete both my goals I set for myself this year. Well that didn't happen, damn PWCC auctions on ebay last night. I picked up these three here. They are not the grades I want them to be but I feel being higher numbers I can just upgrade those over time. I am now at 50 cards total and hope to soon hit the 3/4 mark sooner than later but will have to wait and see. I hope you all enjoy these as much as I do.

Last edited by kamikidEFFL; 01-31-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Jesse

So guys haven't made an update in sometime. So figured I'd catch you up on what's been going on with my Goudey set. Well, since October I have made some progress on my set. It's been tough as I am now focusing on more than just one thing now. Don't get me wrong the Goudey set is my number one priority but I've added some other stuff I want to put in my collection. That being the case here are some of the pickups I have scored since the end of last year.

In October I picked up the Larkin 3, peel 4 and a McManus in a 3 I have since upgraded the peel and McManus. Both only jump a single grade but I feel it had to be done.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Jesse

Come November until now I have picked up another few.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Jesse

It's now January 31st I am currently sitting at the 57 card mark. I haven't seen a ton of the 34 Goudey's up for auction lately but hopefully will shortly. I have since the beginning of this year added to my collection as I mentioned earlier. The T201 set is a new set I am trying to build at a lower grade and i have also started collecting the T213 coupons. Not to worry my main focus is still on my Goudey and will until this set is completed. Thanks guys for reading and following along with what's been going on and stay tuned for more to come. I hope soon!