NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Sorry for making light of it, David - hopefully they aren't damaged. It was great seeing you last weekend and talking cards.
No worries, kemosabe. I have been on the rag all day with other pilikia (<=Hawaiian word, means combination of trouble, worries and general overall bullshit); the Heritage package was just the kicker. The Seattle show was big fun and I enjoyed hanging out with you and Mr Cycleback.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
That Cobb looks a little short.
Not as short as the tip top Wagner.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Mine is a Lionel Carter card. Yours? No.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
PS the offers have been nothing short of hilarious.

Last edited by calvindog; 06-05-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Mine is a Lionel Carter card. Yours? No.
Ah yes, submitted by Legendary. Or was it still Mastro?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
PS the offers have been nothing short of hilarious.
Did you expect otherwise?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Jay is 100% correct the large holder is train wreck....perhaps SGC should look to redesign the holders vs. the labels.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

David I feel your pain.

My T4 did the slab shimmy dance also I was lucky no damage.

I had it it slabbed in a Mylar sheet in the holder to fix the issue. Otherwise every time I looked at the card and tilted upright Mr. Weaver would begin his migration south for the winter.

I agree not the end of the world but also not an non issue either. It's a problem they have known about for sometime. I look at it this way if Branson can slap people into sub orbit I would think a grading company could figure out a decent holder for the services and fees being charged....

John
Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Jeff

You would think that's the case but if people keep submitting oversized in spite of the issue there is less resolve.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
You would think that's the case but if people keep submitting oversized in spite of the issue there is less resolve.
For many of these cabinet size cards, there aren't many good options. PSA only holders up to 5x7 sizes. Therefore, if it is larger than this, you need to go w/ SGC or Beckett. The Beckett slab does not have any issues w/ float. However, the slab is a brick, and not as aesthetically pleasing as SGC, so in the end, collectors prefer SGC. In addition, for these obscure prewar cards, collectors still trust SGC's opinion the most over PSA and Beckett, so in the end SGC still gets most of the business here even with the gasket issue.

Last edited by glchen; 06-05-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Jeff

I would prefer raw to what I'm seeing in this thread.
There is always that option.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Jim M.arinari

I am disappointed.

"I'll be wearing a 1920's baseball uniform - haven't decided which one yet, but I'm sure there won't be many of us".

You just wore a jersey. And a pullover at that.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

May I ask why you would bash SGC to start a post? Do you dislike their grading that much or is it something personal to point out their mistake to community? Only to see later in your post that issue was resolved. Don't you think that should've been your first step?

I get if it is an individual person but I don't get it when you bash the Company that grades your cards and is probably part of the lifeblood of your business or hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by ezez420; 06-06-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 AM

Last edited by CW; 10-06-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
May I ask why you would bash SGC to start a post? Do you dislike their grading that much or is it something personal to point out their mistake to community? Only to see later in your post that issue was resolved. Don't you think that should've been your first step?

I get if it is an individual person but I don't get it when you bash the Company that grades your cards and is probably part of the lifeblood of your business or hobby.
Sometimes bad publicity will get things done, especially in the digital age we live in now. From reading this thread, it's obvious that this problem has occurred multiple times to multiple people. At what point does "SGC making it right" seem like it's just not good enough anymore? There comes a point where they need to re-evaluate their product and fix the problem rather than just making things right with individual customers.

I had a problem not long ago with a major retailer selling me a product full of bugs. I bought a bookshelf for my son's room and things were fine for a few months. One day we noticed holes and wood dust on the shelf and I ended up finding out that it was full of wood-eating beetles. When I tried to bring it back to the store they didn't want to do anything because the purchase was over the days allowed to return. I took to social media with pictures and the story and within a day someone had contacted me willing to refund the full purchase price. I was also told that they would open an investigation into the products coming from their vendor that supplied the bookcase full of beetles. Sometimes you need to go beyond that "individual" level and get more people involved if you want to get results.

I'm not bashing here. SGC is my preferred slab and I love the way the black insert looks around the card... BUT if it's not doing it's primary function, which is to protect the card, then what's the point?

Last edited by ZachS; 06-06-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I am disappointed.

"I'll be wearing a 1920's baseball uniform - haven't decided which one yet, but I'm sure there won't be many of us".

You just wore a jersey. And a pullover at that.
Not only that - it's probably early 1930's.

John - that Buck Weaver is amazing, as always. You guys are starting to get me paranoid about the one valuable oversized item I have in an SGC slab. Fortunately it's resting flat in a safe deposit box.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Andrew

It is disappointing when you win a card and it looks like this when it arrives. The card may only be in good condition but both upper left and lower right corners have been damaged. How can anyone feel comfortable buying a higher grade oversized card in a SGC holder at this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 156045.jpg (73.4 KB, 387 views)
Old 06-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

At least the flip has a green border.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Alex

There has to be a reason why they are not using a thicker framing material but I have no idea what it may be.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog*dirt View Post
It is disappointing when you win a card and it looks like this when it arrives.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

This thread has me thinking. As a private company, I would think that SGC does not disclose financials ( I don't know this, just an assumption). Further, SGC, I assume, will reimburse for any damage to a card or cards due to a problem with their holder. I wonder how large a problem it would take to put the company in financial trouble. PSA, as part of Collectors Universe, is public and discloses financials.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Den.nis Mos.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Sometimes bad publicity will get things done, especially in the digital age we live in now. From reading this thread, it's obvious that this problem has occurred multiple times to multiple people. At what point does "SGC making it right" seem like it's just not good enough anymore? There comes a point where they need to re-evaluate their product and fix the problem rather than just making things right with individual customers.

I had a problem not long ago with a major retailer selling me a product full of bugs. I bought a bookshelf for my son's room and things were fine for a few months. One day we noticed holes and wood dust on the shelf and I ended up finding out that it was full of wood-eating beetles. When I tried to bring it back to the store they didn't want to do anything because the purchase was over the days allowed to return. I took to social media with pictures and the story and within a day someone had contacted me willing to refund the full purchase price. I was also told that they would open an investigation into the products coming from their vendor that supplied the bookcase full of beetles. Sometimes you need to go beyond that "individual" level and get more people involved if you want to get results.

I'm not bashing here. SGC is my preferred slab and I love the way the black insert looks around the card... BUT if it's not doing it's primary function, which is to protect the card, then what's the point?
I agree, if someone wants to voice their opinion about something then they have every right to do so.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:37 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
This thread has me thinking. As a private company, I would think that SGC does not disclose financials ( I don't know this, just an assumption). Further, SGC, I assume, will reimburse for any damage to a card or cards due to a problem with their holder. I wonder how large a problem it would take to put the company in financial trouble. PSA, as part of Collectors Universe, is public and discloses financials.
I have thought of that also Jay. Also if anyone ever had a big issue I'm not sure any of these companies would be able to handle it let alone willing. I have a feeling this would be pushed to the shippers or courts before they opened a checkbook.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post

I bet they have insurance (or should) to cover damage.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 PM

SGC has responded stating the cards are both being regraded "30/2".

One, in my opinion had some minor dings due to the holder. The second; however, is significantly damaged.

Less than amicable resolution.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
SGC has responded stating the cards are both being regraded "30/2".

One, in my opinion had some minor dings due to the holder. The second; however, is significantly damaged.

Less than amicable resolution.

Maybe the second one was undergraded before.