NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2024, 11:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Certified Collectors Group (CCG) to Acquire James Spence Authentication (JSA)

Interesting news...

"Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG), the leader in authenticating and grading collectibles, is excited to announce that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire James Spence Authentication (JSA), the leader in autograph authentication. The combination of CCG and JSA will provide collectors and dealers with a seamless solution to have autographed collectibles authenticated, graded and encapsulated by the world’s top experts.

The mission of CCG is to empower collectors with services that ignite passion, create value and build community. Since 1987, its iconic brands — NGC, PMG, CGC and ASG — have certified more than 90 million coins, banknotes, comic books, magazines, trading card games, sports cards, video games, home video, stamps and related collectibles. In 2021, CCG became a Blackstone portfolio company (NYSE: BX).

JSA was founded in 2005 by James Spence, Jr., a giant in the world of autograph and memorabilia collecting. In the last two decades, JSA has certified millions of autographs and in the process has built the world’s largest autograph database of nearly 1 million images encompassing virtually every known person — from Thomas Jefferson to Taylor Swift, Lou Gehrig to Little League stars. JSA uses this extraordinary database alongside deep expertise and state-of-the-art equipment to maintain unparalleled accuracy in autograph authentication. In addition, JSA’s experts frequent shows and interact closely with collectors, dealers and auction houses, further defining the JSA name as being synonymous with trust and accessibility.

James J. Spence, Jr. and James J. Spence III will remain at JSA’s helm after the transaction closes, and Mark Pepitone, a JSA co-owner and an industry expert in his own right, will serve as Senior Advisor to the company. The Spences, the JSA brand and their expert team will continue to provide the same world-class authentication services for autographs, with CCG enabling JSA to offer expanded services to collectors and dealers, such as grading and encapsulation, and to better serve collectors worldwide.

“CCG and JSA are the perfect match, with a shared passion for collectibles along with an unwavering commitment to expertise and integrity,” said Steven R. Eichenbaum, CEO of the Certified Collectibles Group. “I could not be more pleased with the addition of JSA and the Spences to the CCG family, and I think collectors will love the simplicity and scope of our combined services.”

The acquisition of JSA is CCG’s answer to the countless collectors and dealers who have asked to have their autographed collectibles authenticated and then graded and encapsulated. Although CCG pioneered witnessed authentication of autographs through its popular CGC Signature Series service, it has never offered full authentication and grading services for collectibles with unwitnessed autographs.

JSA has a particularly strong reputation in sports collectibles, a market that is an important focus for CCG. With JSA, CCG will significantly upgrade its services for collectors of sports, autographs and memorabilia through additional expertise, increased show attendance and other efforts.

In April, collectors of autographed comic books, magazines, sports cards, trading card games (TCGs) and non-sports cards will benefit from a seamless submission experience where they can use a single online form to submit their collectibles for JSA autograph authentication and CGC grading and encapsulation. More services and enhancements will be announced in the months ahead.

“This is the ideal next chapter in JSA’s history. CCG’s mission and vision are aligned with our own, and we are excited to see what the company’s extensive experience and resources can do for autograph authentication and collecting,” shared James J. Spence, Jr. and Mark Pepitone. “This combination is a true testament to the outstanding work of the entire JSA team, whose efforts have made JSA the world’s most trusted name in autograph authentication,” they added.

JSA and CCG will operate independently for another few weeks while the companies work behind-the-scenes to integrate. Instructions on how to submit autographed comics, magazines and cards will be posted soon. For more information, check out our FAQs."

Last edited by Leon; 03-21-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:01 PM
W@de

What I wish SGC would've done. Oh well. Congrats to CCG and JSA. The more alternatives to the Collectors (PSA and now SGC) behemoth and someone outpacing stagnant Beckett the better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Swadewade51; 03-20-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:06 PM
Brian Jordan

It’s a bit buried in the press release but yes they’ll now be encapsulating autographs. Not as much to speculate about here (compared to Collectors-SGC deal) as they spell out the deal strategy pretty well here.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:09 PM
Paul

Default Finally!

Most of my signed prewar collection is in JSA/SGC or JSA/BAS holders. I am looking quite forward to getting JSA certs on top of my signed cards again. It's been way too long!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-20-2024 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:15 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

This is pretty big news IMO. Huge step forward for CSG, which already has the best slabs in the hobby and a competent grading team. I'll be sending them a few signed cards for sure.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:41 PM
James Gallo

Default Comic Side

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as CGC has a signature series for comics were approved witness' can get something signed and it is put in a yellow signature series holder. I was waiting to see if they would do that with cards as well, but that has not happened.

On the flip side was CGC would not authentic an unwitnessed signature, with this JSA purchase that now changes. We will see how they address the difference and if they will do signed cards now as well.

When I saw it, it seemed more relevant to the comic side of things but this could open a new cash stream if they allow signed cards as well. Of course that likely will mean another new label too which will suck.

James G
Old 03-20-2024, 09:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If their prices and turn times are better than PSA, i would go there instead. I used to have all my signed stuff slabbed at SGC when JSA was doing the authenticating.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Good for Jimmy, but as the competition dwindles, it makes it harder on collectors.

Remember when PSA "bought" the other auto authenticators?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-21-2024, 07:56 AM
Jamie

I know from reading posts via JSA (back in 2020-2022) and some discussions they wanted to open up encapsulation again, so this seems like a good way to get the best of both worlds vs starting from scratch.

I would think, like the PSA/SGC move it opens up possibly more locations (NJ), so that can’t hurt either.

I have an JSA authenticated card that I have been waiting to get encapsulated and graded, so waiting to hear about that process over the next few weeks.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:02 AM

Default Jsa

I'm glad to see it- Trent King
Old 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For those of us not in the know, is JSA a trusted and distinguished outlet?

(The non-stop flow of complaint threads - rightly or wrongly - that continually throw hobby enterprises under the bus, sometimes makes it hard to keep track in your mind who the 'good guys' supposedly are.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:58 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
For those of us not in the know, is JSA a trusted and distinguished outlet?

(The non-stop flow of complaint threads - rightly or wrongly - that continually throw hobby enterprises under the bus, sometimes makes it hard to keep track in your mind who the 'good guys' supposedly are.)
YES, JSA is a trusted and well thought of outfit.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:03 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I personally like Certified Authentication Services (CAS) for autographs and that was based on a recommendation from one of the Net 54 forum members.

I will continue to use them. I like them.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:49 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
Of course that likely will mean another new label too which will suck.

James G
CGC already offers dual auto grades for on-card factory autos. They put the auto grade on the back of the flip. Otherwise it looks the same as an unsigned card flip. I doubt they'd change their flips again. They've already done it twice now, and they've taken hear for it already.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:57 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Didn't SGC drop using JSA do to them authenticating all those fraudulent signed T206 cards discovered on this forum?

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 03-23-2024 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:58 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
Didn't SGC drop using JSA do to them authenticating all those fraudulent signed T206 cards discovered on this forum?
JSA had nothing to do with the T206 issue. They were on their own at that point.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:42 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
JSA had nothing to do with the T206 issue. They were on their own at that point.

Jsa authorized a whole slew of OTHER forged t206s cards for the record. Not the SgC ones

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-24-2024, 09:14 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Jsa authorized a whole slew of OTHER forged t206s cards for the record. Not the SgC ones
JSA, SGC and PSA all authenticated forged signatures on T206 cards from 2015 to 2018 — SGC had the most (13), JSA had at least 5, and PSA had 1, but it was the most expensive (Baker).

SGC stopped authenticating all autographs as a result of the issue. JSA had parted ways with SGC over five years earlier. In 2013, SGC brought the autograph authentication in-house. They stopped in early 2019.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-24-2024 at 09:55 AM.