NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2024, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default CGC Cards Article on E104-1 Swift's Variety Shop

CGC cards did a nice article, with a bit of collaboration from Rick C. and I. I thought it came out really well. It's great to see a TPG do the right thing with the stamps and flips. I honestly doubt the other TPG's have the experience or aptitude to do this. I can't wait for their larger holders to come out in the next month or two. Great job to the CGC team for this....

https://www.cgccards.com/news/articl...6-6d4b2580337e
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baker.jpg (56.4 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg davis.jpg (53.8 KB, 600 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-06-2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:46 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default timing

Is this a paid promotion?
Old 03-04-2024, 08:50 AM
Daryl

Great story (and find of course), Leon, and great job by CGC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-04-2024, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Is this a paid promotion?
No. Just showing what a grading company can do with expert graders.
BTW, except for Burdick already saying these were put out by Blanke Wenneker (Nadja Caramels) I would suggest a case could be made to call these E104 Swifts. In my experience there are far more Swift Cards than Nadjas....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg img424.jpg (194.9 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg e104collins.jpg (192.8 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg e104k.jpg (171.5 KB, 596 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-04-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:15 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Cool article, Leon. Those cards look nice in the slabs too.

I know I've seen swift stamps on other issues too but I can't place it right now.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 03-04-2024, 09:31 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default margin

I like that CSG uses the plastic sleeve insert. It adds valuable protection for the cards when I'm cracking them out of their slabs to send them to another grading comapany. It helps ensure that I can flip the cards for a profit after they are re-slabbed into a more collectible holder.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:57 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Cgc

Lololololol

Dude.

Last edited by calvindog; 03-04-2024 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:32 PM
Phil Garry

I agree, CGC has demonstrated time and again that they are more than willing to put in the time and independent research needed to identify the more obscure issues and variations. I cannot say the same thing for PSA, SGC or Beckett these days. Things might have been different in the past but we are now in the present.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:21 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I agree, CGC has demonstrated time and again that they are more than willing to put in the time and independent research needed to identify the more obscure issues and variations. I cannot say the same thing for PSA, SGC or Beckett these days. Things might have been different in the past but we are now in the present.
This is definitely the Andy Broome factor because he did that too at Beckett. I have found SGC to be very reasonable in being willing to research obscurities too. PSA is not the least bit flexible to the average submitter.

Anyway, count me in as someone who likes what CSG is and has been doing.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:42 PM
pete ullman

csg was only co. willing to grade this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e95likecobb.jpg (89.3 KB, 470 views)
Old 03-04-2024, 04:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Pete, can I see a scan of it graded? I have one raw and I’d like to get it put into a holder.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:00 PM
pete ullman

Not to hijack this thread, or turn it into an advertisement, but I think it's too late for that.

I think it has always been ridiculous. That companies like PSA and SGC have refused to grade certain issues for whatever reasons they choose like these examples shown they're obviously real cards. All I want is an authentic and a slab. I was very happy with the whole experience with CSG from start to finish which only took a few weeks maybe a year and a half ago..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5667.jpg (198.7 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5665.jpg (197.8 KB, 453 views)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:04 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What’s with those defunct flips, Pete?
Old 03-04-2024, 07:14 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What’s with those defunct flips, Pete?
Whatchutalkinboutwillis?
Old 03-05-2024, 09:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default TCGs, Sports Cards (CSG), Non - Sports Cards combined into CGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Whatchutalkinboutwillis?
From the CGC website....

Posted on 6/20/2023

CGC Cards will instantly be one of the biggest players in the card market, providing expert and impartial certification for virtually all cards — including TCGs, sports cards and non-sports cards — under the renowned CGC brand.

The Certified Collectibles Group® (CCG®) is playing to win with a major announcement in the card market. In July, CCG will combine CGC Trading Cards® and Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®) into CGC Cards™, solidifying its position as one of the world’s largest and most prominent card grading services. Grading virtually all TCGs, sports cards and non-sports cards, CGC Cards will also feature a number of collector-friendly upgrades, including non-member submissions, a Gem Mint 10 grade and a sleek new label that blends seamlessly with cards.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As was mentioned in the article, the 2 different flips for the different Swift's backs went above and beyond!
I think the Variety Shop ones will be a bit more valuable to me and the other guy that cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
This is definitely the Andy Broome factor because he did that too at Beckett. I have found SGC to be very reasonable in being willing to research obscurities too. PSA is not the least bit flexible to the average submitter.

Anyway, count me in as someone who likes what CSG is and has been doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e104mack.jpg (197.7 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg img424.jpg (194.9 KB, 308 views)
Old 03-06-2024, 11:47 AM
Val Kehl

A few months ago, I sent my W551 of WaJo with it's WOOL'S AMERICAN-MAID BREAD back, which I acquired 25-30 years ago, to SGC to be slabbed. Much to my disappointment (actually, I'm pissed!), SGC did not note Wool's Bread on the flip. When I inquired as to why not, the SGC rep merely told me that SGC is no longer doing this. Mind you, several months earlier I had asked a SGC rep if SGC would note this on the flip, as there are several Wool's Bread cards in the SGC pop report and I happen to have a Wally Pipp example in my collection, and he responded that he couldn't see any reason why SGC wouldn't. I'm now wondering if I were to send WaJo to CGC if I would have the same success Leon has had with his Swift's cards.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 03-06-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They will grade them, Val. Andy and I had the back stamp discussion very recently, concerning the E104s.

And they won't put "hand cut" on flips where, the specific cards aren't hand cut, and the whole hobby has known forever that the series isn't hand cut (unless trimmed).. W503, W575-1 etc...
Whomever is still making those errors needs to quit their foolishness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
A few months ago, I sent my W551 of WaJo with it's WOOL'S AMERICAN-MAID BREAD back, which I acquired 25-30 years ago, to SGC to be slabbed. Much to my disappointment (actually, I'm pissed!), SGC did not note Wool's Bread on the flip. When I inquired as to why not, the SGC rep merely told me that SGC is no longer doing this. Mind you, several months earlier I had asked a SGC rep if SGC would note this on the flip, as there are several Wool's Bread cards in the SGC pop report and I happen to have a Wally Pipp example in my collection, and he responded that he couldn't see any reason why SGC wouldn't. I'm now wondering if I were to send WaJo to CGC if I would have the same success Leon has had with his Swift's cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg csg3.jpg (195.3 KB, 244 views)
Old 03-14-2024, 04:25 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Leon's response, in part, to my post was: "They will grade them, Val. Andy and I had the back stamp discussion very recently, concerning the E104s."

Further to my effort to get a TPG to note "Wool's Bread" on their flip, on March 9th, I sent an inquiry to CGC via their online inquiry form, which does not allow one to include pics. On March 12th, CGC Customer Service responded via email, "Unfortunately, this is not a designation we would add to the label." I quickly responded, expressing my disappointment and sending pics of the my two Wool's Bread cards, and also I said "What makes this CGC response so puzzling to me is that recently CGC graded a couple/few E104-1 cards with the Swift/Swift's back stamp AND NOTED THIS ON THE LABELS!" Today, CGC Customer Service responded as follows: "Thanks for your patience. I have reviewed this with our head grading team. After further discussion I am happy to confirm we would designate this "Wool's Bread" on the label." MANY KUDOS TO CGC, and thanks, Leon, for encouraging me to contact CGC.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:58 PM
Bry@n

Does anyone know what the inner sleeve material is? I looks like maybe it is mylar - which is something I have been wishing graders would do for a long time over the regular cheap plastic they use. It would be even better if it was sealed to protect against off-gassing from the other plastics in the holders, but even if it isn't sealed, it will be a good start.

(Yes I checked their site and no I didn't find specifics: https://www.cgccards.com/card-grading/holder-label/)
Old 03-15-2024, 12:35 AM

I do expect CGC to exact swift attribution (retribution?), or at least send me some of those inner sleeves for originally tracking down the Swift Variety Store info used in their article, info that I posted in the original thread about these cards shortly after they sold on Ebay. Reposted here for posteriors like me.

11-27-2023, 03:12 PM

Here is a 1911 pharmacy trade publication article in THE SPATULA about Swift's Variety Store that I found while I googled all over my keyboard.

swift's.jpg

Note that the street address on the full store name stamp is slightly different...242 W. 23rd St. versus 244 W. 23rd St. Sounds like at some point around this time frame that "This quaint store" moved next door.

Brian (wearing a different style of inner sleeve underneath my shirt as I type this parenthetical line)
Old 03-21-2024, 01:25 PM

Are the cards with the Swift's stamp known with both fronts? Or just the World Champions?
Old 03-21-2024, 09:34 PM
Jerry Tate

Default World Champions

All I've ever seen/owned with the Swift stamp have had the World Champions on front...I don't think I ever owned any with the full address before, though...Jerry
Old 03-22-2024, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
All I've ever seen/owned with the Swift stamp have had the World Champions on front...I don't think I ever owned any with the full address before, though...Jerry
Thanks!