NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default How can this consignor make money??

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Just got done looking at the Lelands auction online. How much grading fees does this consignor have? Does it really pay off to get all these graded?

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=253&auctionid=710

Old 06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You're right, it makes no sense. Even if it averaged $5 a card, that's still 10K in grading fees. Maybe the consignor never expected to sell them.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

The thing is a lot of them are secondary grading companies not PSA. Sure the PSA are featured but there might have been 20 or 50 of those...even so he still loses unless he had some kind of serious promo from PSA on the grading.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

What would be the best promo that PSA ever did? I can't see it being under 4.00? Plus what would be the minimum for the tier 2 grading companies? Maybe 3-5 dollars?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Too bad the slabs aren't worth the $5 so you could pull the cards out and insert something else in.

There...I just increased interest in the lot

Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

There are alot of theories about an auction lot like this.

Perhaps the consignor thought through Lelands that he would
get substantial more then the $330 that it sits at right now.
And with time left in the auction, he might get a few more bumps.

Perhaps the consignor had more of these cards and sold a bunch
at higher levels and these are what's left, so he may not be
into them for that much.

Perhaps he realizes these have little value and he wants to bail
out and recoup anything that he can get.

Perhaps the consignor bought them in a deal w/ other cards and
his cost is low.The consignor may not be the submitter of these
slabbed cards, so he didn't have to pay the $$$ for slabbing & shipping.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

Not that I'm an expert in linguistics, but then again, I'm not a big catalog company:

"A conservatice estimate"

"about 2000 cards in this lot (most likely much more)" -- like 3000? 2010? Just count them!

"Lots of duplication make they easy to sell on ebay!" -- I'll let the capitalization on Ebay go, but "make they?"

I'll go back to my book now...

Take Care, Geno

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark l

Volume

Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Perhaps the consignor bought them graded and en bulk. A lot of it looks like the kind of stuff sold on Shop at Home.

People used to tease me for owning an 'investors lot' of Greg Jeffries minor league cards after he had retired, but I got them for free. Presumably someone paid money for the Jeffries cards, but it wasn't me. You can't tell what the owner paid just looking at the cards.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

the "shipping & handling" will cost the buyer $5000.00.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

The consignor deals in bulk. And when I say bulk, I mean he has several warehouses full of stuff. His business is not to sell to people like you and me, he sells to major companies that in turn, package the material to sell to retail outlets. The material in this particular lot is the leftovers of the probably 10,000+ cards that he had originally. He had moved onto other products and wanted to move this bulkly lot make space for more material. I have no idea what he paid to get them graded, but he probably has zero dollars left into lot offered so that at this point, it is irrelevant

Most are PSA graded (more than 50%). I will add that to the item description.

As for the current $330 bid, the bidding has been open for all of 8 hours now so I would expect it to go higher eventually. I would think that at $1.00 a card it is a pretty good deal.

2000 cards is a conservative estimate, it probably is closer to 3000 or more. When viewing the lot I was hanging 20 feet off of the ground on top of a ladder. It was not worth a broken leg to be leaning over and counting every piece in the lot. Obvioulsy I would never say that 2000 pieces is a conservative estimate if there were only 2010 pieces.

Shipping is probably in the $300 area, or they can pick them up in New Jersey where they are currently stored.

Scott

Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Where did you get your information from. Did you physically inspect the lot. Makes sense to me, the creme de la creme has already been sold off. The remaining cards were probably taking up too much space in the warehouse and costing too much to store.

The reason consignor had such a large lot graded at one time was to obtain a quatity discount from the grading company. He's probably made his money many times over and now wants the liquidate the remaining cards to reduce storage costs. Basically, he doesn't care how much the remaining cards sell for, he's hoping that some baseball card seller sees the lot as a good deal and takes the lot off his hands.

Peter

Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Hwy Scott,

Makes sence what you said. My guess is that K.S. is the consignor on this lot. I know the other companies he sells in bulk. Only reason I know him is though monor league buying. I hate it when he gets a bunch of one player as it affects the market price on them when he sells...

Was my guess right on??? LOL

JC

Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Shop at Home, QVC and the like get their stuff through volume dealers, folks who would handle stuff like this. I know Solomon Cramer, who has posted on this board, provided cards to one of these tv shows. As I believe Solomon is not in New Jersey, I'm not saying he's my guess for the consignor. Though I believe Ken Goldin is from NJ.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

this is a perfect time to once again insert the video of that crazy guy from the 90's screaming on HSN...

who posted that a month or so ago, was it you Dan? that was hysterical, it brought back so many memories...

Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I did look at the stuff.

There are a few other lots in the auction that are from the same consignor and they all have one thing in common, they are more bulk than value. I am literally selling the lots by the quantity that fits onto a skid. Normally, I would not sell anything that I didn't have in my possession, but the stuff would have cost more to transport than it was worth and I have no doubt that the consignor will complete the transaction.

For obvious reasons I can't say who consigned it, sorry.

Scott