NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Does it look right?
Looks Legit 51 83.61%
Not Even Close 4 6.56%
Not Sure 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Kirk S.

Default 1907 AL Annual Grounds Pass legit?

Just bought this from someone who was close to Deacon Maguire (he passed away in Duck Lake, Michigan) here in Detroit. Everyone here at work seems to think it is fake because it is so old and in pretty good shape. Just wanted to share it and get opinions. After research everything about it seems right. But I certainly would appreciate some other opinions. Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (78.4 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0002.jpg (77.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0003.jpg (80.6 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0004.jpg (76.7 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0005.jpg (77.1 KB, 270 views)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Steve Murray

Deluxe!

Agree that it was issued to James "Deacon" McGuire with the name misspelled as Maguire. Deacon was, I believe, manager of the Boston American League team in 1907.

Good as gold.

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 10-11-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Authentic. The holder puts it over the top, because no one would have gone to the time and trouble to forge the holder. If they were going to make a fake, they'd just reprint the card.

Last edited by drcy; 10-11-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:16 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Great piece
Old 10-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Kirk S.

interesting thing is even after everyone here says its legit, people at my work still think there is no chance it is real lol any idea if a dollar amount value?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:20 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It actually has wear commensurate with its age. That it is small and comes in a holder says it could survive well over the years. Antique ephemera stored over the years in books, albums and piles of paper can come in better shape than that.

Last edited by drcy; 10-11-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Bry@n

I also think it looks good. The fading on the card to match the overlap with the holder shows it has spent a lot of time in there and is definitely old - not to mention a forger likely wouldn't damage an intentional fake in this way (it isn't "appealing" damage).

Nice find.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:30 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Tell your co-workers to keep their day jobs
Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Kirk S.

LOL thanks guys this is great information. New to this forum but certainly appreciate the information. My coworker said and I quote "I could photocopy/scan my nuts and it could be misleading" lol. Awesome stuff guys your really helping me out. Ill have to come on here more often as we get alot of vintage sports memorabilia.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkPawnn View Post
LOL thanks guys this is great information. New to this forum but certainly appreciate the information. My coworker said and I quote "I could photocopy/scan my nuts and it could be misleading" lol. Awesome stuff guys your really helping me out. Ill have to come on here more often as we get alot of vintage sports memorabilia.
There was no doubt in my mind that it is real from the scans you sent upon registration.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Who would have voted "Not even close"????
Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Not even close?!?!?!?

Greg,
Probably someone who would then make a low ball offer!

Very cool item! The holder is beautiful also.

Peace, Mike
Old 10-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Eric Perry

Out of curiosity, is the Ban Johnson signature pre-printed, secretarial, or authentic?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Auto?

I do not profess to be an expert but it looks a little to neat to have been actually signed by Ban. It was definitely not penned at the same time or by the same person that wrote the name and Boston on the top of the pass. My hunch since there were so many of these that it is a autopen/polygraph or a stamp of some sort. I guess it is also possible that a secretary neatly signed all of the passes. It is a bit tough to really tell just from the photos alone.

Very cool item nonetheless.

Peace, Mike
Old 10-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I do not profess to be an expert but it looks a little to neat to have been actually signed by Ban. It was definitely not penned at the same time or by the same person that wrote the name and Boston on the top of the pass. My hunch since there were so many of these that it is a autopen/polygraph or a stamp of some sort. I guess it is also possible that a secretary neatly signed all of the passes. It is a bit tough to really tell just from the photos alone.

Peace, Mike
Hi Mike,

I am not seeing what you are. Before posting this morning, I checked online to see what Ban Johnson's signature looked like. It seems much more similar to what is on the season pass - by his name - than the scrawl which indicates who the pass was issued to.

I, too, am not an expert regarding autographs. However, the Johnson looks fairly good to me.

Please let me know what you mean by, "to (sic) neat."

And please know that I am not attacking you in any way. As stated earlier, I am just curious.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post

Peace, Mike
The Ban Johnson signature is preprinted on these passes, and not actually signed.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
The Ban Johnson signature is preprinted on these passes, and not actually signed.
Jeff,

Thank you very much for weighing in. I truly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Jeff,

Thank you very much for weighing in. I truly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Eric
You are very welcome Eric.

Also, to the OP, Kirk. The pass is 100 percent authentic so no need to have any doubt about it, everything looks exactly as it should and it was very well preserved. If my memory serves me, Tris Speaker played for the Boston Americans for a couple games in 1907, his short rookie season, among other greats like Cy Young. To ticket collectors it would loosely would represent Tris Speakers first career base hit, among probably some other important wins for Young nearing the end of his career.

Last edited by ATP; 10-12-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Mike P.ap

Default "Too Neat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Hi Mike,

I am not seeing what you are. Before posting this morning, I checked online to see what Ban Johnson's signature looked like. It seems much more similar to what is on the season pass - by his name - than the scrawl which indicates who the pass was issued to.

I, too, am not an expert regarding autographs. However, the Johnson looks fairly good to me.

Please let me know what you mean by, "to (sic) neat."

And please know that I am not attacking you in any way. As stated earlier, I am just curious.

Best regards,

Eric
Basically, just my way of saying that it appeared to be pre-printed or auto penned or stamped onto the card which I think the previous poster also believed. Thanks, Mike