NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Default Ruth collectors

Since everything Ruth seems to go for high money I was surprised to find this still up on ebay. I'm watching it but it isn't my thing so I thought I'd share. It is def. an original and a pretty nice item. Item is not mine nor do I have any relationship with seller. Just curious as to why it isn't worth a bit more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231310873712...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Probably because the seller is lumping it in with her other stereoview cards which don't appear to sell for much. I think the price is low, but I don't know anything about them either.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Aaron Rothschild

Default Just cause it's Ruth...

It is important to remember that not everything with Babe Ruth's name or image on it is worth big money. Even if it is period, only truly desirable items will sell for top dollar.

For this example there are two major problems:

1. It's ugly and awkward in size and shape
2. Not many people own an old stereoview so there would be no ability to "properly" view the card.

That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so someone will certainly like this Ruth example.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Frank Hay-zer

As a Babe Ruth collector, I saw your post, rubbed my hands together in a Wile E Coyote type manner, went to the auction- and refrained. Personally, I go for more aesthetically appealing and in my opinion historically significant cards Ruth cards (early American Caramels, Goudeys', Ruth's 'The Babe Comes Home' movie cards, etc.). To me, Ruth cards equal Americana and this doesn't do it.

That said, you posting this auction will lead to quick sale and I will be happy for the buyer- I mean, it's an original Ruth piece!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post

1. It's ugly
This.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Ross B.

I bought it. Inexepensive, unusual, period Ruth item...I'm on it. Stereoviews are cool. Solid looking seller too, so if it doesn't look good when I get it, I'll send it back. Thanks for the heads up econteacher.

Ross
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm confident it's authentic and from the 1930s. Early 20th century stereviews were curved like that to facilitate the 3D view through the viewer, and I've seen that Ruth steroview before. Also, a prolific seller of antique stereviews would be the perfect person from which to buy a baseball stereoview.

It is about the cheapest 1930s Ruth collectible one can buy, but I'm confident it's genuine. There are much better looking Ruth stereoviews, but they are much more expensive, up to perhaps around $300. Also stereoviews are borderline baseball cards (I said borderline, let's not start another 'What is a baseball card?"debate). They are photos on cardboard, were sold commercially to the general public and people collected them. Personally, I wouldn't call it a baseball card, but it fits within the hobby general 'genre' of baseball card collecting that includes 1911 Sweet Caporal Pins, Tobacco silks, Piedmont Stamps and Topps test-issues. It's as much a card as many of the non-card items included in the PSA and SGC set registries.

I'd say it's better looking than a couple of his strip cards

Last edited by drcy; 10-12-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:43 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Drcy:I'd say it's better looking than a couple of his strip cards [/QUOTE]

This was my thinking. If I wanted a period ruth piece cheap, it seems a better deal then spending 4x the money for a strip card the dog ate.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 10-12-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I used to be an odd ball card collector, and that mean collecting some odd items, ranging from test issues to off beat products to regional issues. Except that the collection was strictly Post WWII, this would definitely have fit in my odd ball collection. And there are many odd ball collectors out there (double entendre noticed but not intended).

If you look at them as newspaper comic strip graphics for little kids, the strip cards have quaint aesthetic appeal. If you expect them to be like T206s or T3s you'll be disappointed. People regularly pick the 1941-3 MP & Co. cards as ugly, but I always consider them as comic strip like art for kids and they they have aesthetic appeal from that perspective. And as I say about aesthetic expectations and perspective, "If you go into an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie expecting it to be like Citizen Kane, that's your fault not the movie's."

Last edited by drcy; 10-12-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Default Better jumping than creeping

Nice pickup...and you also get the bonus of 'jumping guy holding hat', something not often seen in conjunction with a Ruth image. Of course it's no 'creepy little man in ill-fitting suit' as seen in Babe's E121 card...

Brian
Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think that there are multiple reasons for the low price although I think the buyer of that paid a fair price for it.

Here are some reasons for the lower price for this one:

(1) The item is from the 1930s. Since Ruth's career ended in 1935, it could have been issued after he retired. Collectors typically like to stay within a player's career.
(2) Stereographs are odd shaped and not holdered by most TPG's. Therefore, it is more like memorabilia, and doesn't store well in a typical condition. However, the stereograph is like a film strip which needs light, so it's not easily displayable like other memorabilia.
(3) The Babe Ruth / Tom Mix stereograph which this one is has been the most common stereograph with Ruth that I have seen. I've seen a lot of them for sale over time. There are other rare Ruth stereographs that I've seen go for much higher prices.
(4) Since it's a stereograph, it's not easily categorized on ebay. I've seen them in the stereograph category on ebay, the photo category, the card category, the memorabilia category, a lot of places.
(5) As others have seen, the image in the stereograph isn't the most appealing.

However, ~$35 is still a decent price to pay for a period Ruth piece.