NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 AM

Default 1967 - The long journey to 609

Hello all,
After a 30+ year slog, I recently finished my 1967 set. I started out in the early 80's with one card, #600 Brooks Robinson (not sure how it was just that card), and then saw an article in BHN about how nice the set was, so I decided to work on it.

I bought some common lots, made some trades through the mail, and bought a few at local shows, but it was very slow going. I got the Mantle about a year and a half ago to fill out 1 - 533, but still only had a few of the high numbers. I picked up a few here and there, but it seemed like I was never going to make it.

Then, a few tremendous members here helped me out big time! I need to thank:
Robert (rsdill2) - 3 cards
Pat (mintacular) - 4 cards
Todd (bbcard1) - 29 cards

Long story short, this summer, I found myself needing just one card. You guessed it, Mr. Seaver. Well, after losing tons of auctions, and striking out on the BST, lady luck finally looked my way.

Seaver67.jpg

It was a great feeling to get that package and finally put this one to bed.

I just want to say, this board, and it's members are great. The wealth of information that I found on here regarding the high numbers in this set was a tremendous help.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:49 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Congrats! I like that set a great deal, too. When/if I get all the '50s cards that I want and move more into the '60s, '67 will be one of the first sets I go after. The design is really clean to me, even with the facsimile autograph, and I like the player selection pretty well, too.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Bill par.sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Hello all,
After a 30+ year slog, I recently finished my 1967 set. I started out in the early 80's with one card, #600 Brooks Robinson (not sure how it was just that card), and then saw an article in BHN about how nice the set was, so I decided to work on it.

I bought some common lots, made some trades through the mail, and bought a few at local shows, but it was very slow going. I got the Mantle about a year and a half ago to fill out 1 - 533, but still only had a few of the high numbers. I picked up a few here and there, but it seemed like I was never going to make it.

Long story short, this summer, I found myself needing just one card. You guessed it, Mr. Seaver. Well, after losing tons of auctions, and striking out on the BST, lady luck finally looked my way.

Attachment 325806

I just want to say, this board, and it's members are great. The wealth of information that I found on here regarding the high numbers in this set was a tremendous help.
Well done. When I got back in the hobby after college, first set I wanted to collect. This was early 80's. Had quite a few of these as a kid in mass. but never the high numbers. Now my thoughts on this set are: 1) 1-533 are not hard to find. 2) that 2x sp group of 11 or 13 cards of which seaver is 1 is very tough in high grade. 3) 13 high's are real easy. and 4) great set and backs with full stats. Enjoy again. Favorite cards from this set: 1) 580 colavito, 2) 528 petrocelli, 3) yaz. wished they would have been more creative with the mantle card.

Last edited by BillP; 08-15-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Congrats! As a set builder '67 was my favorite. I remember finding a group of high #s from an unlikely source. I was so excited. Drove home with them all "loose" on the passenger seat of my car. I was probably going 20MPH so avoid any shuffling!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

A big accomplishment, congrats!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Congrats, great set! Glad I could help in a small way.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Hello all,

Attachment 325806

Congratulations Bob or Roy or Sam or Leonard or whatever your name is...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Congrats. (You don't happen to have an extra #580 Colavito to trade, do ya?)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 PM

Default Colavito

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Congrats. (You don't happen to have an extra #580 Colavito to trade, do ya?)
Sorry Darren, I had to track that one down myself.
Matt

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Congratulations Bob or Roy or Sam or Leonard or whatever your name is...
Thanks everyone! And Raymond, my name is Matt. I guess I should have put that somewhere.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Mike Reid

Congrats on completing that set. One of my favorites from the 60’s.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:24 PM
Bob F.

Congratulations, Matt! 1967 is my favorite set, so I understand your elation. My last card (the first time I completed it) was Mike Shannon.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Larry P.

Smile

Well done.

My favorite set from the 1960s as well. Like you, I had great fun putting it together some years ago. I sold off most of my PSA set, but kept many of the HOFers.

I think most of the fun in this hobby is the hunt.

I still have my raw set and lots of dups accumulated along the way up the ladder.

Imagine though if Topps had put Nolan Ryan on the Seaver card instead of Bill Dennehy -
Old 08-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Kev1n @1les

67 was early in my journey. I wish I had to do it all over again because I paid way too much for the low number commons along the way. I have nice high numbers - especially my Seaver and Carew. But, I wish I would have been more diligent with the low numbers.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

Cool story, thanks for sharing. Gives me some encouragement, as I've recently decided to go for the whole '67 set myself. Right now I have a few high numbers (including Brooks), Clemente, Banks, and some other odds and ends. I will probably try to start working on the low number commons in earnest around Christmas time with some ebay lots.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:18 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Nice. Sixty-seven is a great set and certainly gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you've finally slayed the dragon.

At 30+ years though, you might want to speed up a bit on the next set.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)