NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default What do you do when you can't find anything to add?

Was curious to know what people (in this kind of spot) find themselves doing.

Over the last few months for me, almost nothing has come across any of the major auction houses or eBay that I really feel I would want in my collection. My Jackie Robinson/integration themed collection has most of the "major" pieces I am interested in, except for a few items that I expect will be exceedingly difficult to find. Almost no vintage lineup cards of any sort have been listed, and there has been little in the way of WWII-related baseball items.

For me, as I left my previous job a few months back, and have been working on launching a business, the timing has been fortuitous, and I would not be in a position to buy much of anything if items I was looking for did show up.

That said, how do you handle slow times in your collecting? Do you save up money for when the (inevitable) rush comes? Do you expand out and buy other random items? Do you try to find another area to collect?

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 10-10-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 AM

Jeff,

That is a very good question. What I would recommend is to pick out another side project that is easy to complete and something that is inexpensive. Therefore, you're getting the best of both worlds... Saving up for your main focus, and having fun completing something.

Just my .02

Good Luck
Old 10-11-2017, 04:47 AM
Chris

The same happened for me and I haven't been able to meaningfully add to my card collection in months. I picked up a side project but hit the same stumbling block. My recommendation is to use your free time to read about the hobby. i know I am on Net54 more frequently and considering picking back up one of my books.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Maybe people who were influential in Robinson's career?

Clyde sukeforth, the scout?

Dixie Howell teammate

George Shuba "the handshake"?

There must be more

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Welcome,
1. You have a disease. Don't be ashamed. We all have it here.
2. Its incurable. Proceed with caution.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 10-11-2017, 02:02 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (11.3 KB, 462 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com

Last edited by edjs; 10-11-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added image
Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Consider a new area to collect. Consider trying something totally different.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Paul

I often hit the stumbling block. I try to pay attention to things outside my comfort zone, and during down periods I dabble there. Sometimes for a day, a week, or a few months. Some of my favorite cards I have acquired during this period. Maybe inconsistent with "T206Collector" but I try to keep an open mind.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 10-11-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Bry@n

I try to enjoy having a little borrowed time to spend with the things on my "sell to fund the next purchase" list.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-11-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 PM

For me, card collecting took over when my other collecting endeavors and hobbies slowed down. So, maybe look into another hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post

Over the last few months for me, almost nothing has come across any of the major auction houses or eBay that I really feel I would want in my collection. My Jackie Robinson/integration themed collection has most of the "major" pieces I am interested in, except for a few items that I expect will be exceedingly difficult to find. Almost no vintage lineup cards of any sort have been listed, and there has been little in the way of WWII-related baseball items.

For me, as I left my previous job a few months back, and have been working on launching a business, the timing has been fortuitous, and I would not be in a position to buy much of anything if items I was looking for did show up.

That said, how do you handle slow times in your collecting? Do you save up money for when the (inevitable) rush comes? Do you expand out and buy other random items? Do you try to find another area to collect?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

I haven't bought anything for a few months. Sometimes I will pick up a few cards at the same time, or relatively close together. During down times I will spend time looking through cards I already own, and of course I'm always checking listings to see if anything worth adding to the collection is available.

I don't mind these periods of inactivity as it can help to get funds together for a bigger purchase. And when I do go through the cards I already own, I'm able to identify cards is be willing to let go when something else comes along.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Welcome,
1. You have a disease. Don't be ashamed. We all have it here.
2. Its incurable. Proceed with caution.

That's hilarious Chris!!!

Jeff, I can ALWAYS find something to add!

Last edited by KCRfan1; 10-11-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:30 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The smart thing to do is nothing. When you go outside your area of interest you are often just wasting money.
BTW, have you noticed the Syracuse Stars cabinet in REA with Moses Fleetwood Walker. He was the last African-American player in MLB before Jackie and his cards are extremely rare.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM

During a time when you're not actively collecting more items, perhaps work on improving the storage and/or display of the items you already have.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 PM

I would recommend you appreciate what you already have. Catalog it. Share it. Enjoy it.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 PM

Jeff,

I am in a similar place collecting-wise. To keep "in the game" during my pre-War hiatus, I have launched a through-the-mail autograph campaign with the mass produced cards I collected as a kid in the 1980s. For a few weeks now I have been sending out a couple of cards/auto requests every day and they are starting to come back. I absolutely love opening up my mailbox every day and finding an SASE containing freshly signed 1980s cards intermingled with my junk mail and bills. And no cost beyond postage!

Scot
Old 10-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post

I would first have to know what I have to enjoy it. Just waiting for the urge to go through some boxes of periodicals I have had for a year or more.

Or go back to looking for the few things I am looking for. Doing a T205 (or other multi hundred card set) set can keep someone busy for a good while if they are picky. Plus I would bet a lot of us acquire things, even though we don't collect them, but just because we think they are neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enter.jpg (31.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Lots of interesting responses here.

For me as I mention, the gap in items that fit my collection has been welcome since it coincided with me leaving my last job and now working on launching a venture; so in this case it was less about me specifically than people in general and how they respond to such a situation.

@jasonc - That makes a ton of sense, and is probably closest to what I am doing. I started collecting some modern day cards (particularly 2001 Fleer Stitches in Time) which feature Negro League players. Many of the cards are $10-$20 so it doesn't break the bank, and it's a rare set to feature Negro League players exclusively.

@Bestdj777 - I've picked up a few baseball books and been doing some learning about the Negro Leagues which has been cool.

@pawpawdiv9 -

@edjs - Love that show!

@drcy - That sounds scary lol. I already feel I'm focused on too many areas, although if I reach a point that a collection seems "complete" I may think about that.

@Jobu - I hear that.

@silvor - It may be just focusing more on other hobbies. I already have more than I have time for.

@pokerplyr80 - Would be nice to have the funds ready when something really big hits. Inevitably it will eventually...

@oldjudge - That Fleetwood is incredible, but out of my price range unfortunately. Would definitely have been a fit in my integration collection.

@Orioles1954 - Blasphemy! Enjoying a collection Probably the most reasonable thing to do

@sreader3 - That sounds awesome. Have you posted anywhere about your progress?

@Leon - I hear that! I've found if a collection is not focused on something that I am particularly interested in, I lose interest pretty quickly. (And I struggle with sets because I am always torn about buying the commons and the like. For some reason I just don't enjoy that part of it.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:37 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Collecting

I typically work on one of my side projects I have going on when I hit a dry spell. They are typically less expensive items that I really don’t actively search.
Here’s the issue I have had and continue to have with doing this (this is probably just me so you’ll probably be fine). While the side project is less expensive items I start to purchase these type items and continue to purchase and then don’t have enough money when an item I really like more comes available.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I typically work on one of my side projects I have going on when I hit a dry spell. They are typically less expensive items that I really don’t actively search.
Here’s the issue I have had and continue to have with doing this (this is probably just me so you’ll probably be fine). While the side project is less expensive items I start to purchase these type items and continue to purchase and then don’t have enough money when an item I really like more comes available.
That's a concern of mine, so I definitely here you.

Of course, as I'm responding to this post a couple of lineup cards I like pop up, along with a card that I am interested in. Didn't realize it was that easy
Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Look for the under appreciated

We have very similar interests. I have collected integration items for years- though in the last 2 years I have been consentrating on the Long Branch Cubans

There are a lot of things out there that you might not realize (many books)- cheap stuff that will cost less then 100 bucks but is very worth it

Try google book searches and a lot of neat things will pop up

A couple of examples of the kind of stuff

1 Man on Spikes - few know it has an entire chapter on integration
2. The Negros in Sports by Edwin Henderson - the 1949 edition had an whole chapter on integration
3. Baseball Joe Around the World - has a number of pages about a game with a fictionalized version of Jose Mendez brought in as a ringer

I am sure there are many others out there, they won't hurt the bank account, and the search will fill the void until something big comes up

Jason
Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Start selling?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Eric
Eric

Get some therapy?
More seriously, looking through auction catalogs, either current or past, always gets me revved up to add some new stuff. I have an extensive stash of old catalogs from AH’s. Come to think of it, I should probably throw those out and be more content with my collection.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
We have very similar interests. I have collected integration items for years- though in the last 2 years I have been consentrating on the Long Branch Cubans

There are a lot of things out there that you might not realize (many books)- cheap stuff that will cost less then 100 bucks but is very worth it

Try google book searches and a lot of neat things will pop up

A couple of examples of the kind of stuff

1 Man on Spikes - few know it has an entire chapter on integration
2. The Negros in Sports by Edwin Henderson - the 1949 edition had an whole chapter on integration
3. Baseball Joe Around the World - has a number of pages about a game with a fictionalized version of Jose Mendez brought in as a ringer

I am sure there are many others out there, they won't hurt the bank account, and the search will fill the void until something big comes up

Jason
Would love to see some of your collection!

Love this idea as well. Picked up quite a few baseball books over the last 3 years, but am not familiar with the ones you mentioned here.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Get some therapy?
More seriously, looking through auction catalogs, either current or past, always gets me revved up to add some new stuff. I have an extensive stash of old catalogs from AH’s. Come to think of it, I should probably throw those out and be more content with my collection.
Collecting is the therapy
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Default Proof there is always other stuff out there

Here are a couple of items that show there is always uncatologed stuff that fits your focus
1. Behold Thy brother - fictional integration accounted published in 1950
2. The Negro is Sports
3. Woodcut from 1880 edition of the Fairport Nine- published in St Nicholas Magazine- early baseball story where black character makes the game saving out
4. Page from handmade scrapbook that contained the box scores and write ups for the 1886 Buffalo team from the International league - important as this team featured a 21 year old player named Frank Grant - the negro leaguer who would be elected to the HOF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2809.jpg (78.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2810.jpg (75.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2811.jpg (76.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2812.jpg (76.4 KB, 41 views)