NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2003, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Idle thoughts on a slow day

Posted By: TBob

With so many tobacco and especially caramel cards leaving to nestle gently in collector's vaults, and based on the relatively young age of a lot of you collectors who post here, it makes us geezers feel like the chances of vintage card collections becoming available on the market are diminishing. Other than catastrophic calamities, which I would wish on no one (well maybe one person), or excruciating property settlement agreements, you will probably see the tbob collection on ebay much sooner than the treasures of leon, or pete, or scott. Bummer....

Old 05-31-2003, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mrc32

I am only 27 and am collecting T-205s in mid grade PSA 4-5. I would say my collection won't be coming on the market for many years. Assuming I die first my wife will be instructed to bury me with my t-205s

Just kidding.

Old 05-31-2003, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

I'm 68, and none of my children care about baseball cards. It's all very well to say "Oh, they can sell them after you die,' except for 2 things:

1) for many years I was on MediCal (or medicaid, in the east), and mediCal will want every penny I own, or have just left to my kids, upon my death

2) my kids don't know anything about how to sell cards.

This means that the Grim Reaper better give me plenty of warning. But you can't count on that...

It probably won't be long, now, before i start getting rid of my collection.

Old 05-31-2003, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

Julie, if nothing else, set up someone you trust as the executor of the collection to sell it off. Your kids don't need to know anything about selling cards this way.

Jay

Old 05-31-2003, 08:25 PM
Administrator

(at his uaual fee, of course--and that ain't hay!)

Old 05-31-2003, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I think collecting is kind of a progressive thing, you start out small and hope to work yourself up to the "Kalamazoo Bats, Kelley", along the way you have to sell off some things to pay for your more expensive tastes. I have had to do it and I know others have done the same thing. I personally had been working on a 1957 Topps set and completed it only to sell it for the down payment on my house. It was easier to part with those cards instead of some vintage cards I had purchased along the way.

So have no fear, Bob, I think all will resurface in do time. That is why we collect these cards and not modern cards, supply can actually run low and make it a fun difficult time to find cards.

Old 06-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If you are concerned about a medi-cal lien (with good reason, I might add, since they are notorious estate pillagers), you might consider establishing a trust (probably an irrevocable one) to hold the cards and dispose of them, or maybe a FLIP (family limited partnership) to disburse ownership of the asset while maintaining control. You could also consider a gifting program too, tax free to your kids. If you've really got great stuff, consider a museum or library donation with certain rights reserved to you--at least you could see the cards and share them with the world under your name. Alternatively, if you have big bucks and historically valuable stuff, maybe a foundation is the way to go. My point is that greenbacks are not the only thing you may choose to receive for your cards. If the disposition of the asset is a real concern to you, book a couple of hours of time with an estate planning attorney in your area and kick around the issue a bit.

Hypothetically, of course, you could establish a safe deposit box with your kids or a trusted person as a co-keyholder and that person could clear out the cards when you die and leave nothing for the government to steal. Hypothetically, of course, since evading taxes and liens may be illegal and I would NEVER counsel anyone to do it. Lawyers call this the "Chinese box trick" BTW. No offense.

In any event, what I'd suggest you do is to get a high quality scan of each card done so that you can enjoy looking at them even after they are gone. I do this with the ones that got away and the ones I can never hope to own.

As for me, they'll have to pry my cards from my cold, dead fingers.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Administrator

MadiCal has assured me sweetly that they can break any trust...

Money in a safe deposit sounds possible, if I was sure it would be safe. I think when I die, MediCal will be watching my entire family for sudden influxes of money. Goof grief, what creeps!

Really, the only thing to do is convert the cards (worth something, but only maybe a couple of historical importance) into cash, and then (for my daughter) traveller's checks, and for my son, money. Soon.