NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default N173, Pinkerton Holder Question

Posted By: Hankron 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't beleive that the legitimate graders grade/holder the standard/cataloged trading card cabinet cards (N173, Newsboy, Pinkerton, etc). Would board collectors of these items like it if they did? And would board members have their cabinets holdered? For example, if GAI or Beckett was the only grader to offer this service, would you send your card to them?

These are questions only from curiosity, and I'm not planning on starting a cabinet card encapsulation service.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon C

AAA. They seem to holder everything else - from newspaper clippings billed as real cards, to the piece of toilet paper Fernando Valenzuela used to wipe his ass after his 100's win... I'm sure they'd be more than happy to start grading cabinets. Plus, if you wave a cabinet that has been destroyed - rounded corners, creases, trimming, the works - it will still get an overall 7.5. AAA might take you down a little for surface, but thats all!

Old 06-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Anticipating that angle of answer, I said 'legitimate graders.' It wasn't neccesary for me to ask in seriousness if people on this board would send their T5 Joe Jacksons or N173 Hoss Radbournes to AAA or PRO (though PRO does have a cost effective way of fitting a N173 into a standard holder). I was mostly asking if collectors of these types of items would find it desirable to have them holdered (by legitimate grader) or better if they were left au natural.

I assume the big graders don't do this (yet), for cost reasons. Likely they would have to get a custom holder and order 10 gross minimum, and they feel there isn't enough material/demand to justify the cost. I'm sure PSA and GAI would grade cabinets and photos and scorecards of all shapes and sizes if they thought it was feasable.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

David, I would like to have them holdered, not because of grading or authentication, just to have them stored in a better way than a toploader or plastic sleeve.

Old 06-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Hal Lewis has a PSA Graded 1873 Boston Cabinet

Old 06-02-2003, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Would love to have mine slabbed for the reason Jimmy gave. I think they'd look great too. I've been after SGC for about a year to start, I think the first one will get all the worms. I'm sure it would take some re engineering, but I think they'd recoup their costs quickly. I have seen a T3 Cobb among other T3s "slabbed", I own one from GAI that is "sealed" and graded EX 5 I bought from Nick (T3 Chase). I'm sure its coming.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I would have certain better Old Judge and Dog's Head cabinets slabbed but not all of them. My reasons would be protection and value enhancement.I would only use SGC or PSA(maybe GAI). I'm not convinced that Beckett knows what they are doing with vintage material. The cabinet Hal had slabbed was smaller than an N173. PSA can currently slab small cabinets, just not larger ones.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

They advertise on the GAI website that they grade the larger cards. There is mention of a sale price for a T3 Cobb. I called them to confirm; Indeed they say they do.

I sent them a T3 Hal Chase for "Grading". I sent it off in a large top holder that was kinda scratched up. But, I figured it was just going to end up in the trash when they put my card in a holder. Needless to say it did not end up in a holder. They merely placed one of their pre-grade labels on my top holder and sent it back to me(it got a 5).

When I recieved it I called them to see what the story was as I was dissapointed it was not in a holder. The GAI representitive said that is how they "Grade and Holder" the larger cards. He did say they had a holder for the large cabinet cards in the works. I called both PSA and SGC first and they said they are not grading them currently.

Nick

Old 06-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Interesting story. I suppose using a large top loader and a seal is a legitate way to gradeholder a large item, especially if getting custom hard holders is not practical. Anyone who saw the famed T3 Cobb knows that it wasn't holdered GAI in the most attractive manner.

As a grader, my issue with the large top loaders for large items, is that I'm not confident that a cabinet or such comes out of the holder as nice a condition as it went in. In particular, I think they can scratch the surfaces cabinet & cdv photos. Though I tend to beleive that, this side of Eastman Kodak, no one knows for sure what is the essential way to store a Old Judge or Cabinet.

Old 06-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The quality of most cabinets - even T3 pseudo-cabinets - is such that you would not be able to enjoy the complete beauty of the item through plastic. Although most art is enjoyed from a distance, I still love to look at T3's and high-quality albumen cabinets up close.

Anyone who has ever owned a T3 will probably agree with me that a scan never does these items true justice, and putting them in plastic is almost as bad (although necessary for protection).