NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > T206 cards B/S/T

Old 02-20-2019, 11:10 AM
Steve

the Gretzky uncut sheet on listed on their facebook page is on ebay too but not on their website. ZERO seller feedback, only buyer. kinda strange an auction house related ebay seller hasn't sold anything at all. also would've figured that such a high profile item for sale like the Wagner, would've made some kind of press in the sports world....or at least be on the front page of their website. its just a small post on their instagram and facebook pages.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wayne-Gretz...t/372604933524

Last edited by dictoresno; 02-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Default corners

I wouldn't purchase regular cards with these corners graded 1-1.5. There is no way on earth (though several are graded as such) that the paper disappears over the years, if so then why would so many look that much better get numbers. The ONLY way that this happens is that the card is beveled with a file to make each consistent (which is dumb) AND ALTERING or cut in a small stop sign shape and the edges conform to that over the years....none in my collection

Last edited by 823dek; 02-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Something is off for sure. And while a major auction house would seem the best place for this card it's hard to justify collecting a consignment fee and then sending the card to REA.
On the one hand he said the card was a consignment, on the other hand he implied his company owned it because he said early on the reason they hadn't marketed it recently was that it was great eye candy. Maybe I missed how these are consistent.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
On the one hand he said the card was a consignment, on the other hand he implied his company owned it because he said early on the reason they hadn't marketed it recently was that it was great eye candy. Maybe I missed how these are consistent.
nothing he says is consistent. that's why blowout started ganging up on him. and every time they pointed something out, his stories changed to adapt. same thing he did here.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:29 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
nothing he says is consistent. that's why blowout started ganging up on him. and every time they pointed something out, his stories changed to adapt. same thing he did here.
Am I the only one who noticed this card started out being "PSA 2" quality and then went to a 4 only a few hours later? At a minimum if that is believed to be an honest mistake, the person claiming that knows nothing about vintage cards.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-20-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Post 19

, the reason we have had the card for so long is because we have not been trying to shop it. Again, we had a retail store gottahaveit! and the card was perfect for eye candy, we also went to a lot of shows. After 25 years, the retail store had to be closed so now we are trying to activity shop it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Post 21

The card is under consignment yes, as we know a lot of people and for the right price we have some amazing items that the same guy would sell.

If I were Leon I would consider following Blowout, at this point.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

How about the statement that: “ The owner is one of the best experts in Sports in the world.” There is NO WAY that one of the “best experts” would not be known by at least a few of the guys on this forum. Perhaps he can give us a name. Though he didn’t say “expert in sports CARDS.” Interesting omission perhaps.

Peter, I’m with everything you’ve had to say on this topic. The story doesn’t match. But if they really have had this card consigned to them for all of these years, the consignor is getting royally screwed. The right thing to do here is to advise the rightful owner consign to REA or HA. They failed in their half-ass efforts to sell this person’s card. Of course, they would never do this, but it would be the right thing to do.

We have broken every BST rule in the book. This may be a decent exception.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Sounds like a perfect fit for an ebay museum I mean store.
Or maybe a Vault.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Ok, so the OP totally screwed up and the Wags has never been for sale. The OP is on very, very thin ice. There is a story....I don't think it was outright 100% fraud. It sounds like a casual conversation that the OP tried to make more out of it than there was.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Ok, so the OP totally screwed up and the Wags has never been for sale. The OP is on very, very thin ice. There is a story....I don't think it was outright 100% fraud. It sounds like a casual conversation that the OP tried to make more out of it than there was.
I noticed that when you tried to go to his webpage with all the music memorabilia, the link to the card was gone earlier today. Same thing on their Facebook page.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Huh?

Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Manny
Banned

Is the OP even affiliated with the GottaHaveRockandRoll website or is he just a rogue employee?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

My impression is that he is a new employee trying to score points with the boss by moving some big dollar merchandise - that he doesn’t have permission to sell. Safe to say that plan backfired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Is the OP even affiliated with the GottaHaveRockandRoll website or is he just a rogue employee?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
My impression is that he is a new employee trying to score points with the boss by moving some big dollar merchandise - that he doesn’t have permission to sell. Safe to say that plan backfired.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Steve

its still on their facebook page. but I just find it odd they have one old half ass scan of the card and not their own hi-def one like any good auction company would have. not to mention, any reasonable owner of this card would have it properly advertised. theres no mention of it on their website, nor anything I can find currently at auction. Everything that have on their site looks like auctions closed 12/1/18. maybe someone should just simply call them and ask if they can verify the story here. these are their listed phone numbers.....

800-950-1202
212-750-7900
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 4.26.05 PM.jpg (17.3 KB, 452 views)

Last edited by dictoresno; 02-20-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It is too long of a story for me to go into. I don't know exactly what was said but to me it sounds like the owner said, sort of sarcastically (maybe) sure I will sell for a xx (fairly high price), then Dylan took that flippant remark and started to go to town selling it. That is my take. I don't think it was ever exactly for sale. But I do think the owner might have it in someone else's possession, which I find sort of weird. Either way, I don't believe it was an outright scam but I don't believe it was supposed to be for sale either. Who knows..

ps...post 164 nailed it, I think

Last edited by Leon; 02-20-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Guess the skeptics weren't so wrong after all, eh?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

So, is Black Betsy still for sale? PM me.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Guess the skeptics weren't so wrong after all, eh?
Sort of. There is a card, and possibly in the possession of someone this person works for, but it was never for sale. Not really an outright troll in my book. A huge mistake with no victims except us reading this. Like sands in the hourglass so are the Days of our Lives.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Sort of. There is a card, and possibly in the possession of someone this person works for, but it was never for sale. Not really an outright troll in my book. A huge mistake with no victims except us reading this. Like sands in the hourglass so are the Days of our Lives.
I don't think anyone thought he was a troll, just that something was off, and it was.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Scott Russell

Actually gottahaveit is a victim. Between this and BO they look like fools.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-20-2019, 03:23 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Maybe he's paid on commission and this was a poorly executed plan to make a pay check. If this employee isn't already looking for a new job I hope he has been banned from listing anything for sale online.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Maybe he's paid on commission and this was a poorly executed plan to make a pay check. If this employee isn't already looking for a new job I hope he has been banned from listing anything for sale online.
It was an honest mistake. But the card is a great piece and we have other great pieces that we do own. I will be much more clear and professional the next time I make posts. If you guys don't want to see what else we have, could get, or just network in general, then I will not post in this forum anymore. But I will make sure to get everything straight and professional for the next time I do post.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Eric
Eric

I absolutely guarantee people on this board want to see what is for sale but take a lot of pointers from this thread and have some conversations before posting next time. It will save you a lot of time and heartache and sarcasm.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
I absolutely guarantee people on this board want to see what is for sale but take a lot of pointers from this thread and have some conversations before posting next time. It will save you a lot of time and heartache and sarcasm.
Yes sir. Take a positive out of everything. You live and you learn and whats done is done. I apologize and you will see some great things in the future.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Scott Russell

I hope you can learn, but since you made the same exact mistakes here as you did on BO I'm not optimistic. Prove me wrong!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

What we have here is, failure to communicate.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

A funny thing happened on his way to the forum

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHaveRockandRoll View Post
It was an honest mistake. But the card is a great piece and we have other great pieces that we do own. I will be much more clear and professional the next time I make posts. If you guys don't want to see what else we have, could get, or just network in general, then I will not post in this forum anymore. But I will make sure to get everything straight and professional for the next time I do post.
Everyone makes mistakes. If I were you I'd apologize to my boss and ask permission before making any more public statements as a representative of the company.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
What we have here is, failure to communicate.
Just watched this Sunday night!

Old 02-20-2019, 04:46 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Yes sir. Take a positive out of everything. You live and you learn and whats done is done. I apologize and you will see some great things in the future.
Hi, I sent a PM on a few of the great things, but never heard back

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 PM

Default this has always been

super shady......I'm sorry
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Anson

But is he the real slim shady?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Maybe just stick with what you actually have for the time being.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Steve

does the owner of the company even know you registered and posted here using a username bearing the company name and in doing such "represented" as them.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I have emailed the OP (Dylan). Leon is exactly right. This card exists, but it’s not openly/actually for sale. I believe the OP thought that if he brought the owner a crazy-high price, he could get the owner to sell it, but I don’t think it’s the OP’s card to sell. Nor do I think he was asked to try to sell the card. Seems dude got way out in front of his skis on this one and brought it to the wrong place; not the best way to go It IMO.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 02-20-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
does the owner of the company even know you registered and posted here using a username bearing the company name and in doing such "represented" as them.
The dreaded face plant!!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
But is he the real slim shady?
No way hes definitely one of the other slim shadies!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-20-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
The dreaded face plant!!
second time he's bitten off more he can chew on two different forums.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Default ez now

I am pretty sure this was the son of one of the owners of Gotta Have It. I met him at the apartment where I often bought stuff from the dad, when he was very young (maybe 5 or 6) many years ago. There is no grand fraud here just a kid that got in over his head and now regrets it. I don't see how anyone was hurt by this except maybe Gotta Have It in the eyes of some. Good thing it was caught in time. But remember its still its a kid and I dont think he knew any better or wasnt prepared for what he was getting into and he should get some slack. If a deal went down thats a different story but I am sure one of your kids out there took a baseball card to Show and Tell and wasn't supposed to. Now you have a kid who's father (who I know quite well) is a top dealer dealing in millions and he wants to be like his dad and make him proud.

This is all conjecture I only know what I read here. I have not spoken to anyone inside or out.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:12 AM
Manny
Banned

Maybe this was an expertly planned and cleverly executed publicity stunt to promote the GottaHaveIt brand. No publicity is bad publicity! Now hundreds of well heeled baseball card collectors, who didn't know this company existed 3 days ago, now know who they are and what they have.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Still skeptical. The whole Jordan thread on BO just screamed scammer. Bought the collection 15 years ago, and never did anything with it, Had legitimate offers if he would send pics, he wouldnt, had offers to meet up so they could purchase the lot, wouldnt. Then goes and asks people to send him 2000 Tom Brady Autos, Patrick Mahomes etc. for him to sell. Just the whole thing was...off.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshleland View Post
I am pretty sure this was the son of one of the owners of Gotta Have It. I met him at the apartment where I often bought stuff from the dad, when he was very young (maybe 5 or 6) many years ago. There is no grand fraud here just a kid that got in over his head and now regrets it. I don't see how anyone was hurt by this except maybe Gotta Have It in the eyes of some. Good thing it was caught in time. But remember its still its a kid and I dont think he knew any better or wasnt prepared for what he was getting into and he should get some slack. If a deal went down thats a different story but I am sure one of your kids out there took a baseball card to Show and Tell and wasn't supposed to. Now you have a kid who's father (who I know quite well) is a top dealer dealing in millions and he wants to be like his dad and make him proud.

This is all conjecture I only know what I read here. I have not spoken to anyone inside or out.
I exchanged some private messages with him and I too had the impression he was relatively young. Could be wrong.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

After speaking with the owner of the card yesterday, who I actually have known for quite some time (come to find out), I don't believe it was for publicity. I think it was a mistake. The owner is a board member but doesn't come on too often, I guess. While we were chatting I reset his password for him. So at least something good came out of this mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Maybe this was an expertly planned and cleverly executed publicity stunt to promote the GottaHaveIt brand. No publicity is bad publicity! Now hundreds of well heeled baseball card collectors, who didn't know this company existed 3 days ago, now know who they are and what they have.

Last edited by Leon; 02-22-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 AM
Steve

I still think the person misrepresents the company as a whole, having his username as the company name and speaking about items for sale on their behalf that really aren't for sale. his username should be changed as to end the confusion. I still bet that the owner of the company has no idea what this guy was doing, speaking for them as if he is the proper consignor or the mess that ensued.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Please put your full name next to your post per the rules. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else we just need to adhere to the rule in bold print at the top of every page. thanks

Quote:
I still think the person misrepresents the company as a whole, having his username as the company name and speaking about items for sale on their behalf that really aren't for sale. his username should be changed as to end the confusion. I still bet that the owner of the company has no idea what this guy was doing, speaking for them as if he is the proper consignor or the mess that ensued.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Seems like a moot point now, but here are close up shots of the card I took, when I saw it in their shop about 6-7 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1504.jpg (76.1 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1505.jpg (76.5 KB, 313 views)
Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 PM
Scott Russell

Clear PSA 4...

Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Seems like a moot point now, but here are close up shots of the card I took, when I saw it in their shop about 6-7 years ago.
Looks like they tried to cover the creases and clean up the edges. What a shame...still a nice card though.