NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default $235 for a cigarette pack label??

Posted By: Richard

I have probably set a record on the most spent for a cut out cigarette pack label, but oh what a label it is! Kotton from the People's Tobacco Company is related to T216.

Just goes to show what happens when two people just have to have something. Was the person who pushed me up a board member?

Does anyone have one of these, or has anyone ever seen another one before?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RA

Uhmm, I guess my Snipe of $15 was to low.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

but that is a pretty cool item.

And, if you squint your eyes.... I mean really squint your eyes....

it becomes the Matty Boston Garter card

Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Unfortunately for whomever bought it they are going to find that this pack is from the 1940's-1950's. I emailed the seller to see if there was an overstamp on the stamp and they said no...but the Tolstoi one that had did have a 1943 overstamp..and had the same look as this one, color-wise. Ones from the 1900's-1915's, which would be from when Kotton Cards were produced were mostly slide shell packs....my snipe was about $60 on this item as it would still go good with a card. My guess is that the gypsy queen pack I sold for $2500 is a record for a cigarette pack price....but I could be wrong....best regards

Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I see you bought this Richard...Had this been one from the period my snipe would have probably been about $750......I spent a few hours looking and researching this pack before I decided it, most likely, is much later than the cards issued. I hope I am wrong....

Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Leon -

Interesting observations and I think you make some good points. I have also been doing some research about the People's Tobacco Company and its products over the last year. I have actually found out quite a bit of information regarding the Kotton product as well as several of their other offerings.

For your information, the People's Tobacco Company was founded circa 1907 by Joseph Ouray, a native of New Orleans. It was supposedly, at the time, one of the largest cigarette and tobacco plants in the south. The company was the only unionized cigarette and tobacco factory in the South, but apparently its products were not patronized by labor and circa 1935 the company was liquidated. Mino and Kotton were their biggest brands, and as far as my research shows, the Kotton brand was offered from pre-1917 to 1933 at the latest.

It appears that the wrapper that I won is more than likely from the mid 20's to early 30's and was not the actual packaging that held the T216s which was in the mid-1910s, but until I can get my hands on the item, I cannot say for sure. Either way, after constant searching and asking around over the past couple of years, I believe this wrapper to be either the first or second found related to the Kotton product (at least in our own little card world).

Once again, I ask, does anyone own, or has anyone ever seen, anything related to the packaging of T216s before?

Old 01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Fair enough. It could be from the 30's but I would think that bright ink isn't from the 20's. I have Jon Canfield's book at home and thought it said that this factory/district was putting Kotton out into the 1950's, but very well might be mistaking. I know I checked it, google, and Matt Sears book before I decided not to go too high. Still a very cool pack so congrats. To answer your question I have never seen any packaging that would have potentially had a t216 in it. best regards

Old 01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Leon -

I have Jon's book and I don't believe that there is an entry for T216, let alone an image of any packaging. I think you may have the 50's packaging mixed up with another product, or I may have a different issue of Jon's book (but I think Jon has only put out one?)

I would be interested in any information Matt Sears has available on the topic. Is it available in written form?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Yes, Matt's is a book he sent to me. It really didn't have much on Kotton but it was all about old packs otherwise. I am pretty sure Jon has only put out one small book and I am sure you and I have the same one. If you looked in it too then maybe I was transposing lines. As you know the graph in the book has lots of info in a very small space so I probably didn't get the lining up of information correct. The Kotton pack you got is very nice whether it's from the 20's or 30's or ...I will check when I get home unless you have the book right at hand...

Richard- I am positive there is the factory and district of the same, and almost positive there is a Peoples Tobacco entry.....

Old 01-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Only has the different brands of Peoples, Kotton, Mino, and Virginia Extra....No dates as to when they ceased....I thought I saw Peoples Tobacco going into the 40's or 50's but maybe not....anyway, cool pack..