NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2017, 09:40 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Idea for new BST section

This might be one of those things where I'm the only person who would actually use it, but I wanted to float an idea for a new BST section, primarily for trading lots. I assume that most of you guys, like me, accumulate a "discard" pile over the course of weeks, months, etc. They're cards that have value, but but don't really meld with your collection for whatever reason. They're not individually worth enough to make selling or trading them one at a time worth your while, but you'd really like to unload them, too.

This new thread would let you put your whole group up for trade, and everyone would essentially swap their personal "discard" piles. When you get someone else's, you take out what you want to keep, maybe hold the rest until you add a few new ones to the pile, then put it back up for trade. The groups of cards would morph over time, so if there was enough buy-in, there would always be fresh cards available.

Essentially you would just post scans and say what you think the lot is roughly worth, then keep an eye other lots that you think are comparable then strike up a conversation via PM. The lots would be welcome to span multiple decades, which is another reason it would need its own section.

I don't know...just a thought.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:25 AM
Archive

I would be okay with a B/S/T forum like that. I'm a member on another website where almost every transaction is done by trading and members trade "starter lots". Basically they trade 100+ cards which are their duplicates and the next member can get a good jump start on building another set.

Count me in.

Jantz
Old 12-19-2017, 05:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It is certainly open for debate. Not a bad idea just don't know about the logistics of it. I have large piles of crap collectibles I need to do something with.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I wish we had a separate section for photographs. Just an idea.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:39 AM

I like the idea, but why does it have to be discard piles? I have piles to discard but cards for trade that do not fit my collection. A general trading section where you post the item(s) you have for trade - single card or discard pile etc- would be great.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

With close to 700 BST transactions under my belt, only a couple dozen have been trades. Trades are fun to negotiate, but finding someone who wants what you have and has something you want makes it a lot more difficult than buying and selling.

The idea of trading for a pile of cards, most of which I don't want so that I can then trade 90% of the stack to someone else who doesn't want them seems problematic to me. It might work if everyone is building '88 Donruss sets, but who is.

I would think that if the idea were successful and I passed my trash to someone else in a trade, sooner or later I would receive that very same trash in return in a subsequent deal. I don't have one of those gerbils running in a wheel and going no where, but it might be more entertaining.

wheel.jpeg

As they say, what goes around, comes around

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:52 AM
octavio ranzola

agree with frank...
Old 12-19-2017, 09:41 AM

I have hardly done the volume Frank has done, but in the 13 months I have been on this board, I have done over $35k in trades (both just cards and cards and cash), including an E121 Ruth, a T227 Cobb, and T206 Matty Portrait, Evers Portrait, Chance Lenox, etc.

"If you build it, they will trade... People will trade [Frank/Leon], People will most definitely Trade".
Old 12-19-2017, 12:05 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Can't you just post your trade pile now in the appropriate section of the Buy/Sell/Trade? I see trades offered there often enough.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-19-2017, 01:26 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Can't you just post your trade pile now in the appropriate section of the Buy/Sell/Trade? I see trades offered there often enough.
+1 I really only want to look in one place for the cards I want. Also, if I have something to sell or trade, would I now post it in both areas?

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
We'll, not if your pile spans different decades. Plus this would be for larger quantities of things you don't want and aren't seeking fmv for. Say you and I have piles worth roughly 1k each and we agree to trade. Even if there's only one thing in mine that you want to keep, and visa versa, that's one new thing we got and we've each still got a pile to trade again.

Like I said, maybe I'd be the only person interested. It's possible I'm just being lazy, but I've got a drawer filling up with $20-$200 items that I don't want to deal with individually and don't want to take the bath that sending them to auction would result in. Ces't la vie.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Luke Lyon

I have piles I'm too lazy to deal with individually. But I'm probably also too lazy to scan them and list them all together in this section. Seems like a cool idea though.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Derek Granger

I'm in the same boat w/r/t commons, etc. I haven't used them yet, but has anyone tried COMC.com and had any success?

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

A section for people who only want to trade might be a good idea.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Trade

I think a section for TRADE ONLY would be great
Old 12-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Jimmy

always have extra stuff around, but never have the time to post

Not a bad idea!

Jimmy
Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Trades

I don't know why you wouldn't just post cards in the existing categories for trade. A trade only section means I'd have to look through a bunch of posts to see what's in them, as opposes to the searching I do today, based on the categories as they currently exist. I see no need for it.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't just post cards in the existing categories for trade. A trade only section means I'd have to look through a bunch of posts to see what's in them, as opposes to the searching I do today, based on the categories as they currently exist. I see no need for it.
There is where I am at, on it, so far.

Last edited by Leon; 12-21-2017 at 08:09 AM.