NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Major Saturday a.m. accomplishment

Finally did something about my Gehrig Butterfingers piece that was encased in one of those heavy, oversized Beckett lucite holders that's about 3/4 inch thick and significantly oversized. Appreicate the sentiment behind it, but those lucite frames are just ridiculous. It was taking up waaaay to much room and didn't add to the presentation of the piece. I'll take the PSA packaging of photos and similar pieces any day of the week. Using a swiss army knife and a screwdriver removed the item (which was in a nice inner plastic holder), put Gehrig is a portfolio binder and said lucite frame is in the garbage can. My safe looks better already.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Lou

Hey Steve

Lets see it!
I'm a big Gehrig fan...I never tire of more views
Here is one of my favorites

BTW- staying on topic I agree those giant Lucite holders are not pleasant...but the small SGC Holders look good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.JPG (71.4 KB, 458 views)

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.

Last edited by familytoad; 10-22-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Plastic
Old 10-22-2016, 05:32 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Here are my still fully entombed Butterfingers. I agree that the Beckett oversized holder is too thick. As you can see, it cannot hold the premium flat in the holder, so it looks wavy in the scan. I really hope that Beckett comes out with a new holder that is much thinner. I know the reason that this is this thick is so Beckett can also use the same holder for magazines. Unfortunately, there are no other TPG options if you want to encase premiums this large. PSA only goes up to 5x7" and SGC maxes out a 6x9". For photos, PSA does have a 8x10 holder, but they don't use it for cards or premiums. I even heard a rumor (unconfirmed) that even that photo holder is no longer available because the vendor that provided the holder to PSA no longer sells it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934_butterfinger_small.jpg (72.2 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by glchen; 10-22-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Here's my Gehrig Butterfingers. Freed from its lucite vault. Also have posted a pic I picked up in the last Memory Lane auction. Gehrig 1924. Before the hall of fame career was glint in anyone's eye as they say. Love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0456.jpg (40.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (30.2 KB, 196 views)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I too wish BVG would make the large holders a bit thinner.

On another note I cracked around 7 GMA graded cards a few days ago and all were fine. Who the heck is GMA anyway? They were actually graded correctly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-GOUDEY-...vip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-DIAMOND...vip=true&rt=nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Here are my still fully entombed Butterfingers. I agree that the Beckett oversized holder is too thick. As you can see, it cannot hold the premium flat in the holder, so it looks wavy in the scan. I really hope that Beckett comes out with a new holder that is much thinner. I know the reason that this is this thick is so Beckett can also use the same holder for magazines. Unfortunately, there are no other TPG options if you want to encase premiums this large. PSA only goes up to 5x7" and SGC maxes out a 6x9". For photos, PSA does have a 8x10 holder, but they don't use it for cards or premiums. I even heard a rumor (unconfirmed) that even that photo holder is no longer available because the vendor that provided the holder to PSA no longer sells it.

Last edited by Leon; 10-24-2016 at 08:29 AM.